Good manly books!

I'm sick of all these female authors in the young adult section writing stories about fantasy relationships, and no I don't want to read that psychotic 50 shades of whatever. I want to read something rugged, badass, and witty. And yes, I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell is a classic, but I need something else. It doesn't have to be all drugs, and alcohol but it should straddle the line somewhat.... Anyone know of anything good in that area? Something really cool?

Edited by Michelle

Well, you certainly know how to make an impact with your first post don't you?

I would recommend that you take a look at Hunter S Thompson. He certainly writes about drugs and alcohol and surreal adventures on both. The only other name that springs to mind is Maddox. I have not read any of his work, so can't say what he is like, but he seems to fit your criteria.

Karsa, just... no. That's probably the absolute opposite of what I am looking for, haha, but thank you. And I appreciate the suggestion Chrissy, I truly do, but reading up on his writing personality, it seems most of Thompson's characters are basically insane. And I don't think a story about a couple of drug addicts will be worthy of my admiration or time. Maddox's Alphabet of Manliness is pretty good and I am looking forward to reading it but it doesn't have a protagonist or storyline etiquette....

Are you looking for fiction specifically?  How about.....

Blood Meridien, by Cormac McCarthy

Call of the Wild, by Jack London

A Farewell to Arms, by Ernest Hemingway

The Professional, by W.C. Heinz

Flavorwire describes these and a few others as 'mighty manly books'.  I didn't suggest all of them; I get the impression that Sherlock Holmes is not what you're looking for.  And I wouldn't wish Moby Dick on anyone.

First of all....drugs and alcohol doesn't make it "manly".

In addition to what Ruth recommended (Blood Meridien), try almost anything by Cormac McCarthy......especially The Road, No Country For Old Men, and All The Pretty Horses (1st book in the trilogy). This is probably some of the best reading you will find.

When I was younger I remember reading some books by Sven Hassel.  They were set in World War II and were fairly brutal depictions of men in very much a man's world; I don't remember whether they were witty, but they must have been fairly good reading for me to have bought more than one.

How about James Ellroy? Haven't read a lot of his, but Black Dahlia and LA Confidential were excellent.

Raymond Chandler is a favourite: you can't get much wittier in my view.  Pretty much any of his classics would do, Farewell My Lovely, The Big Sleep etc.. On those lines, Dashiell Hammett may also appeal (his classic being, of course, The Maltese Falcon)

I'd second Ruth's suggestions of Ernest Hemingway and Jack London (haven't read Cormac McCarthy).

I don't know about their edginess, but for good old 'ripping yarns', you can't beat Robert Louis Stevenson (Kidnapped), John Buchan, H Rider Haggard (King Solomon's Mines), or Alexander Dumas (Three Musketeers).

Looking at the 'Art of Manliness' list, one near the top of the list that is near the top of mine too is Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon. If you like that, then his Baroque sequence may also appeal (no, it's not fantasy, more a sideways look at history).  Loads of other good stuff on that list, but whether they satisfy that edginess again, I'm not sure.

Hope that helps.

Edited by willoyd

I second Hunter S Thompson- especially Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas- that's a whole lotta sex, drugs and rock n roll there.

How about James Ellroy? Haven't read a lot of his, but Black Dahlia and LA Confidential were excellent.

Learn something new everyday... *goes to kindle store*

Edited by Anna Begins

Yes!  And I'll add American Tabloid and The Cold Six Thousand to those, too.

First of all....drugs and alcohol doesn't make it "manly".

Hell, yeah! This is the 21st Century; women can get stoned and trashed too!

Take a look at Charles Bukowski.

I've read a couple of his books this year (Post Office and Factotum), they might meet your criteria - not sure!

• 4 weeks later...