chart throb ben elton

this is a very funny story that I read in spain it's ben's spoof version of pop shows like pop idol and the X factor.

this very well written book is about a judge called calvin simms(Simon cowell)

I recommend this book it's a real good read.

Chart Throb.The ultimate pop quest.

Ninety five thousand hopefuls. Three judges. Just one winner.

And that’s Calvin Simms, the genius behind the show.

Calvin always wins because Calvin writes the rules. But this year, as he sits smugly in judgement upon the mingers, clingers and blingers whom he has pre-selected in his carefully scripted ‘search’ for a star, he has no idea that the rules are changing. The ‘real’ is about to be put back into ‘reality’ television and Calvin and his fellow judges (the nation’s favourite mum and the other bloke) are about to become ex-factors themselves.

this is my first review I hope it's ok

I got this one for Xmas and read it back in January - enjoyed it immensely. Like SBW says, it's well written and beard Elton's trademark cleverness - he has an eye for satire that is hard to match!

My own review HERE.

It sounds not dissimilar to Dead Famous which was fun to read. I like his books. I liked the recent set in the first world war, First Casualty, but perhaps his best one was Gridlock.

Does anyone else find that when you read his novels that you can almost hear his fast delivery from Saturday Night Live?

Oddly I finished this this morning

I then picked up 'Buried' by Mark Billlingham.

The 'Thriller' is funnier than the Ben Elton (well I think so anyway) but MB is very dry and also an ex-comedian, just much less successful than BE

I did see the parallels between the judges (especially Beryl/Sharon and Calvin/Simon) and doubt I'll look at one of these shows in the same way again

Oddly I finished this this morning

I then picked up 'Buried' by Mark Billlingham.

The 'Thriller' is funnier than the Ben Elton (well I think so anyway) but MB is very dry and also an ex-comedian, just much less successful than BE

I did see the parallels between the judges (especially Beryl/Sharon and Calvin/Simon) and doubt I'll look at one of these shows in the same way again

what was your opinion on the book.

:D