Raven

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This Saturday I'll be at my local cinema with my niece and her two Doctor Who mad sons (aged 13 and 10 years old). I'm looking forward to it, especially as I missed out on the 50th Anniversary 3D special event.

I will also be recording it at home so I can watch it again during the coming week while alone. :D

Edited by Chrissy

I'm really gutted that I won't be at home to watch the first episode of the new series tomorrow :weeping: However, I can't wait to watch this on catch up on Sunday. I'm interested to see what Peter Capaldi is like as the Doctor. I think he's going to be more of a traditional type.

This Saturday I'll be at my local cinema with my niece and her two Doctor Who mad sons (aged 13 and 10 years old). I'm looking forward to it, especially as I missed out on the 50th Anniversary 3D special event.

They are showing the first episode at the cinema? Fab! Have a great time!

I'm not wildly excited as I was when Dr Who was relaunched with Chris Eccleston in the role, but I will be watching. I've studiously avoided the show while Matt Smith was in the role because I really couldn't stand him or the lass who was playing Amy Pond, so the pair of them together effectively ruined the show for me. I'm intrigued as to how Capaldi will do in the role though, so we'll be watching and letting Xa stay up to watch it too. :)

I am really undecided at the moment.. it kept me watching, and there were some good bits, but I still can't warm to Clara, and it had the feel of a Moffat Christmas Special.. which I haven't much enjoyed. I don't think I can judge Capaldi from a post-regeneration episode, but he left me a bit.. meh!

I miss the days when I would have been excited all week for the episode - which for me is still Tennant's era. Yes, there were hit and miss episodes, but I eagerly awaited each one. At the moment, I'm really not that bothered. 

I miss the days when I would have been excited all week for the episode - which for me is still Tennant's era. Yes, there were hit and miss episodes, but I eagerly awaited each one. At the moment, I'm really not that bothered.

That sums it up perfectly for me too, Michelle. I like Peter Capaldi as an actor, but I find it hard to judge him as The Doctor from this over long (and frankly, at times, boring) introduction, and my first question at the end of the episode was, "Do we have to watch the rest of the series?" My OH countered that I'd chuckled at one point during the episode, and I told him it was just because there were a few references to The Girl in the Fireplace story, and I'd been thinking about that instead, which was also written by Moffat but was an absolutely cracking story, with action, humour, moral dilemmas and a horse on a spaceship!

I loved it! :smile:

At our little local cinema there was a fancy dress competition, where a short 4th Doctor and a tall 10th Doctor won cinema vouchers. Strax gave a pre episode blog report that was chuckle worthy, and then onto the film itself.

A few moments dragged in the episode, but they were mere moments, and beyond that I loved this introduction to the new Doctor. Clara being discombobulated throughout worked well, and the baddy was genuinely creepy. The appearance near the end of an unexpected face was great too. I found myself getting quite teary.

Following the film, there was a live satellite link up to a Q & A session with Peter Capaldi, Jenna Coleman and Steven Moffat which was fun.

One little nugget that made me give a gulp was that the actor who played the homeless man was the late Liz Sladen's husband. How nice is that?

I wasn't impressed at all. I don't like Clara at all, and I know the Doctor is always a bit ditsy and odd when he first regenerates, but I wasn't keen on Capaldi's portrayal of that, nor was I thrilled with the constant pushing of the Scottishness - OK, you're Scottish and using your own accent in the role, we get it, so you can stop going on about it all the time, OK? I also didn't like that it harked back to what was one of my favourite DT episodes, The Girl in the Fireplace (I LOVED that episode SO much!), it felt like they were cr*pping all over my favourite episode from a great height. Like Chesil, I did have about two chuckles, but they were directly related to me thinking about TGITFP and nothing to do with this first Capaldi episode.

We let Xan stay up to watch it (even though it finished after 9pm!) and he seemed to enjoy it. And there's the promise of Daleks in the next episode, so I'll give it a couple of weeks to settle into what it's going to be before I make my final judgement. After all, it took me a few episodes to get used to Tennant in the role, and I ended up loving him as The Doctor (I adored Eccleston, so it was difficult saying goodbye to him!).

That said, I hated Matt Smith in the role, so I wonder if my expectations were a little high, as I respect Capaldi as an actor and thought he would be better. Much as I hated Smith in the role, and detested Amy Pond on sight, I much preferred Smith's first episode as The Doctor to the trite shambles we were given last night.

So, disappointed in the first showing, but willing to give it a few weeks to see if it gets better.

I am really undecided at the moment.. it kept me watching, and there were some good bits, but I still can't warm to Clara, and it had the feel of a Moffat Christmas Special.. which I haven't much enjoyed. I don't think I can judge Capaldi from a post-regeneration episode, but he left me a bit.. meh!

That matches my opinion as well. It was OK, bit of a waste of a T-rex in the Thames, I would have preferred an original story instead of treading familiar ground with the clockwork robots. Strax and the other two are very annoying and I still don't understand why they are there and the people accept it :shrug: but then again the last season was such a mess that I'm sure I missed loads they were trying to get across.

I just don't feel the same excitement I used to during the first 4 seasons, but I will keep watching this season to see how Capaldi gets on and who the new companion will be.

Oh and the new titles are rubbish  :negative:

That matches my opinion as well. It was OK, bit of a waste of a T-rex in the Thames, I would have preferred an original story instead of treading familiar ground with the clockwork robots. Strax and the other two are very annoying and I still don't understand why they are there and the people accept it :shrug: but then again the last season was such a mess that I'm sure I missed loads they were trying to get across.

I just don't feel the same excitement I used to during the first 4 seasons, but I will keep watching this season to see how Capaldi gets on and who the new companion will be.

I agree to a certain extent what has been said. The dinosaur plotline fizzled into nothing, they should have just kept it simple and stuck with the weird robots.I actually found that strax and the lizard lady were focused more, than the Doctor.

In the past I haven't liked Clara at all, but after this episode, I'm starting to warm to her. Although I can't see why they keep going on about 'Who is Clara?' it's getting a bit annoying now.

At the end of the episode, when the clockwork man went to the garden, are we supposed to think that the woman there is Clara? The reason why I say this is because she mentioned her 'boyfriend', which echoes what Clara was saying during the episode? Just a thought...

As for the Doctor, I'm not sure what to make of him. As someone else has said, I get that he should be a bit confused after the regeneration, but he came off as a bit odd and not in a good way. I miss the zany quirky nature of Matt Smith

(loved his cameo in this!)

, Peter Capaldi seems a bit dark and strange. Saying that though, by the end of the episode, I could see glimpses of what he could be and so I'm definitely going to watch the rest of this series, to see how he develops.

I didn't like the new theme music, but the intro visuals were quite good, and apparently based on a fan-made intro sequence, which is a nice bit of fan lore. I agree about the waste of the T-Rex - I would love a good dino story quite separate from this poor little effort. As for the garden at the end, I think it was supposed to be hinting at this "promised land" - she said it was heaven, however, I don't think that woman is all she seems - I think she's a potential for a new great threat to the Doctor. Also, note that she also has a Scottish accent - I don't know how significant that is, as I know the actress, Michelle Gomez, is a Scot herself (she was marvelous in The Green Wing!), but the whole Scottish thing seemed to be getting a big push throughout the episode, so I'm thinking it's intentional and will come into play later on.

The first episode is always The Doctor getting used to his new regeneration and has been since eccleston, There were too many ancillary characters. I agree the dinosaur was a waste of special effect money, They could have used it for it's own storyline or spent it on something else.  

and it started sounding a bit like sherlock holmes, when vastra seemed to start talking about the irregulars and having a relationship to an inspector at the yard.

I like Capaldi as an actor, so I hope he settles into the role quickly. 

Edited by dex

I don't think I can judge Capaldi from a post-regeneration episode, but he left me a bit.. meh!

Exactly ! He just seemed downbeat and a bit sad ; it seemed to me that the others actors had come in bouncing and really grabbed the role.  :smile:

Don`t like the new titles. Or the new Tardis. And why can`t they sort out that mumbly sound problem ??  :banghead: 

I enjoyed the cameo near the end, and the bit when the veil vanishes, but overall, this left me a bit untouched. :smile: 

Is anyone looking forward to this week's episode or will you be watching something else tonight? I'm going to be watching, I think I'll be able to get a proper idea of what this new Doctor is like this week.