Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens discussion thread

chesilbeach

I missed your last post, somehow, Alex. My Kindle agreed with yours (so that's good!)  :D

WARNING --- THERE ARE SPOILERS AHEAD FOR CHAPTERS 40 – 42

Summary under spoiler

(40) Smike quickly runs away from Mr Snawley’s, fearing that Squeers is following him.  He takes a circuitous route in order to prevent anyone from following him and eventually finds his way to Newman Noggs’ house.   Nicholas and Newman have been looking for him and so Noggs is very relieved and takes Smike back to the Nicklebys. 

At Nicholas’ work, Tim Linkinwater tells Nicholas about a little hunchbacked boy who lives nearby and who grows flowers on his balcony.  The boy is very poorly and his bed has been put near the window so he can look out.  He likes to look at Tim Linkinwater – it seems to make him happy so Tim is happy to oblige and sits in the window often as he believes that in a strange way his presence is company for the boy.  Tim says he’s going to miss the little boy when he inevitably dies, even though they haven’t so much as shaken hands. 

Nicholas enters Charles Cheeryble’s office to discover a young woman on her knees in front of him – Mr C is trying to persuade her to stand up.  Nicholas recognises the girl as the one who asked about a job as a governess at the Register office.  The girl faints and Nicholas is shooed out of the office.  He tries to find out why she is there – Tim tells him that she has been there often.

Nicholas asks Newman to follow her to see where she lives and also to see if he can find out anything about her.  Noggs tells him later that she is Miss Cecilia Bobster and that he has arranged for Nicholas to meet up with her.  She’s an only child.  Her mother is dead and she lives with her domineering father. 

Noggs has unsuccessfully tried to uncover the reason for the girl and her maid’s visits to the Cheeryble brothers.  Nicholas is initially upset that the girl has been so easily keen to meet up with him thinking her too keen, but he rationalises that she probably wants to escape from her unhappy existence. 

Nicholas and Newman enter the house via the kitchen so as not to be seen by the girl’s father who might hit her if he catches them.  They meet briefly but then her father returns and Nicholas and Newman leave.  When they get outside Nicholas reveals that Cecelia Bobster is not the girl from the Cheerybles’ office – he has followed the wrong maid! 

Nicholas returns home.  He thinks about the young lady who he still hasn’t met and who is still an enigma to him.

(41) Mrs Nickleby starts changing her appearance, dressing up her mourning clothes a little.  Nicholas believes the man next door is a dotard but Mrs Nickleby feels this isn’t the case and resolves to be nicer to him.  She recalls her courtship of her husband and tells Kate how she was rather mean to him – she was surprised he stuck around!   Kate asks her if she had many admirers - as she starts to count them they hear coughing from over the fence and shortly afterwards a cucumber is thrown over!  Other vegetables follow and Kate wants her mother to go inside but Mrs N refuses.  The neighbour looks over the fence makes declarations of love but Mrs N snubs him.  He flirts with her and asks her if she is a princess.  She replies no so he asks if she is related to the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Pope or the Speaker of the House!  She again replies in the negative.  He keeps saying “be mine, be mine”.  Mrs N says no, she wishes to stay a widow and devote herself to her children, but she is pleased to have him for a neighbour.   He springs up to the top of the wall but is pulled back and returns to his own garden.  Kate asks the newcomer who pulled him back if the neighbour is insane and the other man says yes, he is.  He used to be cruel and unkind – he broke his wife’s heart and threw his sons and daughters out of their home.  Mrs N refuses to believe he’s mad.

(42) John Browdie and Tilda are dining when a waiter arrives to say there is a man wishing to see him.  It’s Nicholas and they greet one another like old friends.  Nicholas asks if he can be Godfather to their first-born.  The talk about their first meeting.  Nicholas is grateful to John for lending him money when they first met and he thanks Browdie for assisting Smike in his escape from the horrible Squeers.  John laughs as he recounts how the others present had no idea of his involvement in Smike’s rescue.  Both John and Tilda dislike Squeers immensely – Tilda has only kept in touch with Fanny out of a sense of loyalty because they have been friends for a long time. 

They think they are safe in their discussions because Fanny is spending time with her father, but as Tilda is telling Nicholas that she always thought Fanny had a soft spot for Nicholas Fanny arrives and says it’s not true.  She has her father and brother with her.  Tilda and Fanny quarrel.  Squeers junior has been helping himself to food.  Initially his father is pleased that he’s fattening himself up at John Browdie’s expense but when he sees that the company can see the boy helping himself he pretends to be angry with his son.  John Browdie says he wishes that the boys from Dotheboys Hall were there and that he would feed them all if they were.  Squeers accuses Browdie of assisting Smike – instead of denying it John says he would happily do it again. 

Squeers warns Nicholas that Smike’s father might turn up, unhappy that Nicholas was involved in Smike’s leaving of the school – Nicholas says he’s not afraid.  “Ain’t you?” asks Squeers – he summons his son and daughter and they leave.  John Browdie orders more food.

A few observations:

I found chapter 41 the hardest to summarise here because there seemed to be a fair bit of waffling and hand kissing!  That’s not to say I didn’t enjoy it because I did!  This novel is much more humorous than I was expecting, which has come as a pleasant surprise.  :)

Again, I must mention the language.  Dickens writes so poetically!  This phrase (about Smike’s escape) is one that stuck out for me:

He fled away with surprising swiftness and consistency

of purpose, borne upon such wings as only fear can wear

and impelled by imaginary shouts in the well-remembered voice of Squeers,

who, with a host of pursuers, seemed to the poor fellow’s

disordered senses to press hard upon his track…

I also loved Tim’s comments about the future death of the hunchbacked boy.  I won’t quote that too (well, I might come back and edit it in, but I won’t quote it now as I want to post this before I go to bed!) – it’s so beautifully written.

When Tim was talking about the little hunchbacked boy in chapter 40 it really put me in mind of Tiny Tim from Oliver Twist (which I think was the book published immediately before this?).  I know Dickens was a compassionate man who disliked social injustice.  I’m liking him even more as a result of what I’ve read of his so far.  At one book a year it might take me another 15 years to read all his books, but I’m determined to do so!

Bring on the next chapters!   :D

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a bit behind, and have only just finished last weeks chapters.

The first two chapters this week were great, and I was so surprised that the Miss Bobster wasn't the young lady Nicholas was expecting! :D  Nice little twist to keep readers coming back again next time ;)

I also thought of Tiny Tim when reading about the hunchbacked boy … interesting there's another Tim involved with that storyline too.  I wonder if Dickens knew someone called Tim who was or had a disabled child, or who worked to improve the life of disabled children, and named these characters after them as a tribute?

Mr and Mrs John Browdie were a struggle to get through again … I just can't get my head around the accent and how it translates to the page, so I find it difficult to read.  I think I've got the general gist of it, but it does need a much longer reading time.

Hopefully I'll find to read the chapters this week, this time! :D

I actually found the chapter with Browdie a little easier to read this time round.   I've found this with a few other novels - I struggled with the first few chapters of both The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain and also The Help by Kathryn Stockett but eventually I seemed to be able to tune into the dialect, so hopefully any future chapters (if they appear again) won't be quite so difficult to follow.  :)

I was surprised about Miss Bobster too - it hadn't occurred to me that Noggs might have got it wrong!  :giggle2:

WARNING --- THERE ARE SPOILERS AHEAD FOR CHAPTERS 43 – 45

Summary under spoiler

(43) Nicholas is dining upstairs at the Saracen’s Head with John and Tilda Browdie when they disturbed by an argument and so they go downstairs to investigate and discover a crowd of onlookers watching a young man shouting at another man.  The first individual (who appears to have thrown his slippers at the second!) is about the same age of Nicholas and appears to be the underdog and because of this, Nicholas feels the need to side with him.  Nicholas enquires what the fuss is about and the young man replies “a mere nothing!” and then goes on to explain that the man was speaking with disrespect about a female acquaintance and that he felt obliged to defend her, which had led to the confrontation. 

The second man exclaims that he is entitled to admire a pretty girl without fear of a beating.  The young lady, it appears, is not the least offended and actually agrees!  Nicholas discovers that the young man is none other than the Cheeryble brothers’ nephew, Frank!   Frank spends the rest of the evening with Nicholas, John and Tilda.  Nicholas worries that Frank will become a rival for the affections of the young woman he is trying to track down.

The next day Tim Linkinwater comments about what a coincidence it was that Nicholas and Frank should have met in circumstances other than those of being introduced at the Cheeryble Brothers’ offices. 

Charles Cheeryble says he would be pleased to be introduced to Nicholas’ family and so Nicholas invites him for tea the following day.  Mrs N worries about the visit – she’s pleased that receiving them seems to be a return to their old social situation but worries because some of her fine tea things have gone missing.  Kate tells her that the family still have each other and that they should be grateful of that rather than worrying about inconsequential things like missing crockery!

Charles and Frank come for their visit.  Whilst chatting over tea it is revealed that Frank had recently been in Germany where he had fallen in love with the Mayor’s daughter.  However it is soon apparent that Frank seems to have taken a shine to Kate – a fact which causes much grief to poor Smike.

(44) The chapter opens with Dickens reminding the reader about Ralph Nickleby’s traits – none of which are very good!   We are told how much he hates people!  Newman Noggs tells Ralph that Hawk and Verisopht are now in France.  Ralph proclaims Hawk a coward.  Nogg says he’s gone there for this health on advice of his doctor because he is in danger of a repeat attack of erysipelas.

Ralph tells Nogg to leave and ruminates that Nicholas has the luck of the devil but that he believes Hawk will eventually return to exact his revenge.  He summons Noggs and asks if Wrackford Squeers has called.  Newman replies in the negative and Ralph says that he will – and that he will have another man with him - Noggs is to instruct them to wait. 

Ralph leaves the office to go debt collecting.  He is polite to those who are well-off but harsh to the poorer people.  As he is sheltering from the rain under a tree he is approached by a man who has been following him.  They are old acquaintances who had fallen out some twenty years previously and the man had ended up in prison and was eventually transported for seven years.  The man, Mr Brooker, is after financial help but Ralph refuses to assist him – he says the man can’t blackmail him because he has no secrets.  Brooker offers to restore something to him but Ralph isn’t interesting in hearing him out and goes on his way.

Ralph’s next destination is the Mantalini’s shop, now in the ownership of Miss Knag.  Mr Mantalini appears to have taken poison – the reason being that Mrs Mantalini wants a separation.  Ralph informs her that as a married woman she has no property but she has been clever and everything is in Miss Knag’s name!  Ralph tells Mantalini that he won’t assist him any more.  He returns to his office where Squeers and another gentleman are waiting.  They take a coach to Nicholas’ house – Newman tries to follow but the coach has too much of a head start. 

A beggar approaches Noggs.  Ordinarily Noggs would brush him but the beggar gives such a tale of woe that Noggs gives him halfpence.  The man makes a comment (to which the reader isn’t privy) which interests Noggs and together they walk away in deep conversation…

(45) The Browdies are having tea with the Nicklebys.  Mrs N has allowed this, even though she’s not entirely happy because social convention says they should have been introduced first but as they’ve been kind to Nicholas she makes allowances.  The evening goes on until the Browdies express their concern at how late the hour is.  Mrs N brushes this off, claiming they often entertain and are entertained late at night – as she waffles on Kate tries to take control of the conversation!

Ralph Nickleby arrives – he wishes to talk to the family.  Nicholas asks him to leave, and John steps up to defend Nicholas – but Ralph announces that he is there because he has Smike’s father with him.  Nicholas doesn’t believe him but Ralph produces not only Mr Snawley (allegedly Smike’s father) but also documentation which proves that Smike is his son.  Smike is Snawley’s son by his first marriage.  When they separated, the first Mrs Snawley took the boy with her and then claimed he’d died.  She only confessed when she was dying that she had sent Smike away to Dotheboys Hall because he was “of weak and imperfect intellect”. Once she was unable to pay his fees she just abandoned him.

Smike refuses to leave. Squeers tries to intervene and Nicholas pushes him into Ralph.  As far as Nicholas is concerned Smike doesn’t want to go and therefore he won’t go!  Ralph thinks that now there is no chance that Smike is from a comfortable background Nicholas will no longer want Smike around.  Ralph, Snawley and Squeers depart – but not before Squeers has taunted Nicholas. 

It appears that Frank Cheeryble has taken a shine to our Kate. Poor Smike – I did feel sorry for him at the end of the chapter.   He was inconsolable.  :(

Mrs Nickleby is very… ditsy – she reminds me of someone but I can’t think who.  Maybe it was someone in a TV show rather than a book?  It might come to me.  I did chuckle at the following exchange with Nicholas:

There's a very respectable-looking young man,' added Mrs Nickleby,

after a short consideration, 'who is conductor to one of the omnibuses that

go by here, and who wears a glazed hat—your sister and I have noticed

him very often—he has a wart upon his nose, Kate, you know, exactly

like a gentleman's servant.'

'Have all gentlemen's servants warts upon their noses, mother?' asked Nicholas.

'Nicholas, my dear, how very absurd you are,' returned his mother; 'of course

I mean that his glazed hat looks like a gentleman's servant, and not the

wart upon his nose; though even that is not so ridiculous as it may seem to you,

for we had a footboy once, who had not only a wart, but a wen also, and a very large wen too,

and he demanded to have his wages raised in consequence,

because he found it came very expensive.”

I noticed something else that made me think of Oliver Twist but unfortunately I didn’t highlight it and I can’t remember what it was! 

I wonder what information the beggar is imparting to Newman Noggs?! Is he someone who has fallen on hard times as a result of Ralph and if so, what does he know about him?

Ralph really doesn’t have the measure of Nicholas, does he?  He believes that Nicholas has only shown an interest in Smike because of the potential of him being related to someone of means.  His comment that Nicholas’s sympathy will melt is way off the mark – he’s judging Nicholas by his own standards!!

Again I’m struck by the humour in this novel.  I didn’t know much about the story beforehand but I guess I was expecting something bleaker.  There is a great contrast of humour and seriousness in this book.  :)

I have to agree - there's a really nice contrast between the lighter and darker parts of the novel. Ralph just gets worse doesn't he! I rather hope the documents are forged or don't relate to Smike - I'm sure im not the only one there. The Browdies are excellent - I did rather tar them with the Squeers brush when we first met them.

I too wonder what the beggar said to Noggs and hope the next installment (which I am about to embark on!) may shed some light.

WARNING --- THERE ARE SPOILERS AHEAD FOR CHAPTERS 46 – 48

Summary under spoiler

(46) Nicholas feels he must tell Charles Cheeryble about Smike and why he has prevented Smike from going with his father. He doesn’t believe that Mr Snawley is Smike’s father. Charles informs Nicholas that Ralph had been to the offices earlier trying to discredit Nicholas. The Cheerybles defended Nicholas, which pleases Nicholas. Charles suggests Nicholas doesn’t say anything about the situation – he thinks it will blow over.

Charles asks Nicholas to deal with a confidential situation relating to the young lady that Nicholas is hoping to meet. When he was younger, Charles was in love with the girl’s mother and his brother with her mother’s sister. The sister died and Charles’ love married another man – however their marriage was unhappy and the man spent all of his wife’s money. The lady then died and now the husband is hiding from those he owes money to and his daughter is helping to support him financially by working as a governess, but after suffering problems at work she visited Charles Cheeryble seeking his assistance. Charles has given her money, although she has requested that he give it to her in small amounts so that her father can’t get his hands on it. They have also bought her various items that she may sell. Charles requests that Nicholas act on her behalf in the selling of these items – they couldn’t take on this role themselves because her father might recognise them and they don’t think it’s appropriate to ask Frank because he might be “flighty and thoughtless in such a delicate matter…” and might actually fall for the girl. Tim is not a good choice either as he would be too confrontational with the girl’s father.

Nicholas wonders if he should tell the Cheeryble brothers that he might fall for Madeline himself but he keeps quiet. He goes to their house, which is in a very run-down and neglected part of town. However Madeline has made the house look very homely inside. Nicholas encounters Madeline’s father who looks far older than his years and looks rather haggard – although he still has fire in his eyes. Nicholas gives Madeline some money and almost immediately her father spends it on items including wine and grapes. Nicholas notes to himself that he gives no thought to his own daughter in the spending of this cash. Madeline, at her father’s insistence, gives Nicholas a receipt for the money. Nicholas asks when he should call again and Madeline says not for several weeks, but her father says he should call back in a week. As Nicholas leaves, Madeline catches him and asks that he doesn’t mention to the Cheerybles or Tim what occurred – he promises to remain her devoted servant.

(47) Noggs is annoyed because Ralph always pops out of the office when Newman’s lunch hour is imminent and then is late back. He ruminates how Ralph is only hungry for money, not food. He decides to sneak out, but just as he’s doing so he hears Ralph returning. Ralph is not alone, and, fearing his lunch will be further delayed, Newman decides to hide in a cupboard and pretend he’s already gone out! The visitor is a man called Arther Gride. He is a money-lender whom Ralph has known for many years. Gride informs Ralph that he is to marry a young woman called Madeline Bray. Her father owes Arthur money so Arthur will offer to cancel the loan if Bray agrees to the match. Arthur asks Ralph to let Walter Bray off a debt owed to him too – and tells him that Madeline is going to inherit some property. Ralph refuses to write off the debt – in fact he asks for extra money on top of the original dept, a payment for which he will assist Arthur in his quest for Madeline’s hand. Arthur reluctantly agrees.

Ralph and Arthur head to Madeline’s house to persuade Bray to allow the match. He is reluctant at first, telling them that it is not up to him, but to Madeline to decide who she will marry. Ralph comments that he would have thought that her father merely suggesting it would be the same as him commanding it. As they continue to discuss the matter they hear Madeline returning and Ralph urges them to leave and to give him a week to sort things. Ralph is confident that things will work out to his and Arthur’s advantage.

(48) Nicholas heads back to work feeling rather sad. He loves Madeline more than ever but he feels that due to his position he cannot act on this love. He is so quiet that Tim Linkinwater thinks he must be worrying about a mistake at work and urges him to “make a clean breast and scratch it out” rather than dwelling on it. Nicholas reassures everyone that he is happy but all day he continues to mull things over.

On his way home from work Nicholas spies a play-bill outside a minor theatre which, as fate would have it, announces the last appearance of Vincent Crummles. Nicholas can’t believe it, but then decides that there can’t possibly be more than one person of that name. A further look at the bill reveals other names from the Crummles family – including ‘the Phoenomenon’. Nicholas visits the theatre and meets up with his former employer who welcomes him warmly. He reveals that Mrs Crummles is pregnant again and that the whole family are moving to America where they have already have some acting lined up and that they hope to buy some land which would eventually be passed to their children.

After these confidences, Nicholas reveals his true name and fills in Mr C about what he has been up to since he left the troop. The Crummles are heading to Liverpool in the morning for the start of their journey and so Nicholas agrees to go out to a farewell supper given in honour of, and as a farewell to, the family.

Nicholas buys gifts for the family and attends the meal. Mrs Crummles is pleased to see him. They ask after Smike (initially confusing Nicholas by referring to him under his assumed name of Digby). Nicholas starts to say that Smike is not very good at the moment – he starts to explain what is going on with Smike’s father but then checks himself and apologises for forgetting himself.

Nicholas chats to a man called Mr Snittle Timberry who adapts other people’s literary works. Nicholas does not approve of this and wastes no time in telling Timberry.

As the evening ends, Mr Crummles reflects on how happy they were as a company and how he almost wishes Nicholas hasn’t attended the evening as it makes the family’s leaving rather bittersweet. They all make their farewells and Nicholas departs.

Although I enjoyed these chapters I didn’t actually make many highlights so I don’t have an awful lot to say. :)

One question I have – I might be missing something obvious, but in the text “Like the famous parrot, Nicholas thought a great deal, but was unable to offer a word ” – who is the famous parrot? I presume Dickens was referring to something real here (otherwise it’s a rather random comment!) but I don’t think I know about this!

I was surprised that the Crummles turned up again. I’m not really sure what the point of that was – but maybe time will reveal the reason?

We’re 77% done now. I’m looking forward to seeing how all the loose ends are tied up. Will Nicholas get his girl? Will Kate find love? Will the man next door keep throwing cucumbers at Mrs Nickleby? Will Noggs continue working for Ralph (and what will become of Ralph?) or will he find another direction in life? Will Smike find happiness with his natural family? There is a lot to be revealed. :)

WARNING --- THERE ARE SPOILERS AHEAD FOR CHAPTERS 49 – 51

Summary under spoiler

(49) Nicholas spends time with Madeline and finds himself falling for her even more strongly. He and his family are living a happy life – the only blot on the landscape is Mr Snawley who is still trying to get Smike back. Smike’s health suffers as a result of this and Nicholas takes him to the doctor as he is concerned Smike might be suffering from a “dread disease which so prepares its victim, as it were, for death…”. The physician tells them that the results are inconclusive but that there is no particular reason to suppose the illness is unduly serious. Smike’s condition doesn’t deteriorate any further so Nicholas hopes this means he will recover.

In later life Nicholas will recall how happy they were at that time in their lives. How they enjoyed spending time in each other’s company and how when Kate was out they eagerly waited her return, finding life a bit dreary when she wasn’t around. He will recall how Smike always seemed to be very happy when Kate was around.

The Cheeryble brothers have become increasingly impressed with Nicholas and have starting giving items to the family to improve their comfort. They start to visit the Nicklebys on a regular basis – as do Tim Linkinwater (who had previously had few friends but who really enjoys the Nicklebys company) and their nephew Frank, who drops in at least three times a week. Mrs Nickleby ponders how attentive Frank is and puts it down to his fondness for her – she hopes he will marry an English girl.

Miss La Creevy makes a visit to the family. She says that on her way she saw Tim Linkinwater and Frank Cheeryble who are also on their way for a visit. She asks where Smike is and they are surprised to discover that he has gone to bed and Mrs Nickleby remarks that Smike also took himself off to his bedroom early the last time Frank visited – but that he doesn’t actually go to bed when he goes up – she thinks that’s most extraordinary. She comments that he seems to be turning into “the Thirsty Woman of Tutbury [and] the Cock-lane Ghost

Tim and Frank arrive at the house. Mrs N apologies that Nicholas is not yet home and (after making theatrical nods and winks at Kate) states that Kate must act as herself and Nicholas until he gets home. Kate is somewhat embarrassed by her mother’s behaviour. Neither Nicholas nor Smike put in an appearance, but Mrs N, Miss La Creevy, Tim, Mr Linkinwater and Kate socialise together, although Kate is very quiet. As they chat a servant appears to tell them of a commotion and they discover that someone is attempting to climb down the chimney! It’s Cucumber Man™ from next door! Kate tells the men that the neighbour is mad but Mrs Nickleby defends him saying he’s only thought of as mad by people who want to get their hands on his money and that he’s eccentric, not mad.

The neighbour starts making a hullabaloo and Miss La Creevy enters the room curious as to what is going on. When he sees her, the neighbour starts kissing her hand, causing her to hide behind Mr Linkinwater. Mrs Nickleby thinks the neighbour has confused Miss La C with her. She also thinks it’s her fault the neighbour acts the way he does. Tim and Frank take the gent home and then bid their own farewells.

Nicholas returns home. He goes up to see Smike to find out what the matter is with him. Smike says he will explain one day.

(50) Verisopht and Hawk are at Hampton Races. They are gambling but Hawk can’t relax – he’s concerned that people recognise him after his altercation with Nicholas but thinks it easier to face lots of people in one go. There remains a scar on his face and he attempts to cover it up with his glove when he talks to people. Hawk meets a man that he dislikes intensely. The man asks why Hawk didn’t ensure that the fray with Nicholas was reported in the paper. Hawk tells him to look in the papers the day after tomorrow but doesn’t tell the man why.

Hawk mutters to Verisopht that although he’s not going to murder Nicholas he does intend to inflict “whipcord cuts and bludgeons bruise” on him. Hawk has invited Nicholas to meet him so that he may confront him but Verisopht prevents the meeting. The pair quarrel and Verisopht informs Hawk that he will attempt to stop Hawk hurting Nicholas. He reflects that rather than helping him to pursue Kate, Hawk was pursuing her for himself – he is ashamed of his earlier behaviour towards Kate and Nicholas. Later on Verisopht and Hawk and their friends go gambling again. They drink lots and, with another party of men, they become riotous until Hawk and Verisopht come to blows.

The next day Verisopht and Hawk meet in the country with two witnesses. The duel and Versopht is killed. Hawk and the witnesses, Messrs Westwood and Adams flee the country – Verisopht lies dead on the ground.

(51) Arthur Gride sits in his house going through his clothes trying to decide what to wear for his forthcoming wedding to Madeline. He chooses a green suit that he considers lucky, for when he bought it from the pawnbroker he discovered a shilling in the pocket that had laid there undiscovered by the broker. He calls his housekeeper, Peg Silderskew, and asks her to mend the suit. She tells him it doesn’t matter what he wears since Madeline won’t be looking at him – she’s concerned about her job. Gride assures her that her position is safe, although they will have to tighten their belts with another mouth to feed. He is not going to keep Madeline short of provisions as he wants her to keep her looks.

Noggs visits the house with a letter from Ralph. Gride reads it – the contents clearly make him happy. As he goes from the room he drops the letter, and Noggs quickly picks it up and scans it. Ralph is telling Gride that Madeline’s father, Mr Bray, has agreed to the wedding. Gride is not to visit the girl before the nuptials because she doesn’t like him and it might make things difficult. Newman hears Gride returning and quickly puts the letter back on the floor and pretends not to have noticed it. Gride replies to the letter and then offers Noggs a drink. Not caring for the man at all, Noggs would normally have said no, but because he knows what an old skinflint Gride is, and how he won’t like to share is drink, he agrees to a toast to Madeline. After finishing his drink, Noggs returns to Ralph’s office. He informs Ralph that a man – a Mr Brooker - has been hanging around the premises trying to arrange a meeting with Ralph. Ralph calls the man an idle ruffian, a swindler and a liar and tells Noggs that if the man approaches him again, Noggs should call the police.

Later that day Noggs goes to wait for Nicholas. He won’t call at Nicholas’ place of employment because he is embarrassed by his shabby appearance. He tells Nicholas that there is a secret concerning Ralph and that he hopes to get to the bottom of it but for now he’ll keep his thoughts about what it might be to himself for fear of disappointing Nicholas. In discussion Noggs discovers that the object of Nicholas’ affections is Madeline Bray. When Newman tells Nicholas of the enforced marriage that is going to take place between Madeline and Gride he is very angry and he rushes out of the house to go to try to save Madeline from her fate. Alarmed that Nicholas might do something desperate or even murder someone, Noggs tries to draw attention to Nicholas in the hope that someone will stop him – he shouts that Nicholas is a thief.

I presume the ‘dread disease’ referred to in chapter 49 is cancer? We are in the happy position of knowing that the only thing wrong with Smike is that he is pining for Kate. I don’t think he stands much of a chance with her, but who knows? I had wondered at one stage whether Verisopht, who was showing definite signs of reform and regret, might end up with Kate, but after the duel that’s clearly not the case!! One thing is for certain… Kate isn’t short of suitors. Personally I think (for the moment, at least) that she will end up with Frank Cheeryble but I could be completely wrong!

I googled a lot of phrases that appeared in these particular chapters. The “Thirsty Woman of Tutbury [and] the Cock-lane Ghost (as referred to by Mrs Nickleby when she was talking about Smike retiring to his room) both refer to famous frauds – clearly Mrs Nickleby doesn’t think there is anything wrong with Smike and I hope she’s right. :)

I also Googled duelling. According to Wikipedia, (so it must be true! :P ), the last duel on UK soil took place in 1845. As NN was written before this date I suppose it would have been an acceptable way to sort out arguments – even though to modern audiences it seems quite barbaric!

Gride is the most contemptible character, isn’t he?! I haven’t read any further than chapter 51 yet, so this is pure supposition, but I can’t believe the marriage will go ahead. I’m sure Nicholas will save the day and rescue Madeline. I do hope so, for Madeline’s sake. :)

Although I enjoyed these chapters I didn’t actually make many highlights so I don’t have an awful lot to say. :)

One question I have – I might be missing something obvious, but in the text “Like the famous parrot, Nicholas thought a great deal, but was unable to offer a word ” – who is the famous parrot? I presume Dickens was referring to something real here (otherwise it’s a rather random comment!) but I don’t think I know about this!

I was surprised that the Crummles turned up again. I’m not really sure what the point of that was – but maybe time will reveal the reason?

We’re 77% done now. I’m looking forward to seeing how all the loose ends are tied up. Will Nicholas get his girl? Will Kate find love? Will the man next door keep throwing cucumbers at Mrs Nickleby? Will Noggs continue working for Ralph (and what will become of Ralph?) or will he find another direction in life? Will Smike find happiness with his natural family? There is a lot to be revealed. :)

I did like the first couple of chapters, finding out more about Madeline, and Noggs being in the right place at the right time to overhear the dastardly plans of Ralph and Gride. (I use that word specifically, as in my head, I picture Ralph as Dick Dastardly and keep thinking he should have a Mutley by his side :giggle2:). One thing that struck me was the huge amount of money Bray is in debt with - how would either ever expect to get their money back?

Like you, Janet, I wasn't sure why Nicholas met up with the Crummles again. It seemed like a filler chapter without moving the story along.

I presume the ‘dread disease’ referred to in chapter 49 is cancer? We are in the happy position of knowing that the only thing wrong with Smike is that he is pining for Kate. I don’t think he stands much of a chance with her, but who knows? I had wondered at one stage whether Verisopht, who was showing definite signs of reform and regret, might end up with Kate, but after the duel that’s clearly not the case!! One thing is for certain… Kate isn’t short of suitors. Personally I think (for the moment, at least) that she will end up with Frank Cheeryble but I could be completely wrong!

I googled a lot of phrases that appeared in these particular chapters. The “Thirsty Woman of Tutbury [and] the Cock-lane Ghost (as referred to by Mrs Nickleby when she was talking about Smike retiring to his room) both refer to famous frauds – clearly Mrs Nickleby doesn’t think there is anything wrong with Smike and I hope she’s right. :)

I also Googled duelling. According to Wikipedia, (so it must be true! :P ), the last duel on UK soil took place in 1845. As NN was written before this date I suppose it would have been an acceptable way to sort out arguments – even though to modern audiences it seems quite barbaric!

Gride is the most contemptible character, isn’t he?! I haven’t read any further than chapter 51 yet, so this is pure supposition, but I can’t believe the marriage will go ahead. I’m sure Nicholas will save the day and rescue Madeline. I do hope so, for Madeline’s sake. :)[/font]

It does look to me as though Frank will be the one to win Kate's heart, and this is purely speculation on my part, but I wonder if he and Nicholas will eventually take over the Cheeryble business as brothers-in-law?

Gride (and I'm assuming it's pronounced "greed") doesn't seem to have a single redeeming feature, does he? Not only does he want to marry Madeline, but then intends to make her work to earn money for him afterwards, and will penny pinch with the food budget and not even give her a comfortable life by the sound of it. Urgh. Please Nicholas, you MUST save her!

I've read both of these instalments today, and I'm carry on with this weeks as well, before I'll take a break. I think that means there is one more normal instalment, then a double instalment for the final one. I'm planning to read chapters 52-54 today, then 55-58 at the weekend, then the final chapters 59–65 before the end of the year. I know both of you have mentioned finishing before the end of the year, but unless we all say we're ahead of schedule, I'll stick to the dates we originally planned before posting about the chapters.

Yup, I've read up to chapter 54 and have typed my summary and a few notes today, but I'm not planning to post them until we're all up to that place.  I shall do the same with the next section (and the last, when I get to it) and do my summary/notes after the final chapter of each section so I won't know what's coming up when I post my thoughts on chapters 55 to 58 (four instead of the usual three). 

I think that makes sense! 

• 2 weeks later...

WARNING --- THERE ARE SPOILERS AHEAD FOR CHAPTERS 52 – 54

Summary under spoiler

(52) Nicholas runs from Newman Noggs in an effort to go to Madeline’s aid, but he quickly realises that if he continues to run with Newman chasing him and shouting “stop, thief” then someone will prevent him from getting to her anyway so he allows Noggs to catch up with him.  Noggs tells him not to go to Madeline so Nicholas says he will go to Ralph’s house instead.  Newman persuades him that neither course of action is a good idea.  Nicholas despairs of being able to assist Madeline – he can’t engage the help of the Cheeryble brothers because they are overseas.  He can’t talk to the nephew or Tim as that would break the brothers’ trust.

Nicholas is giving up hope of being able to help but Newman persuades him not to give up, so Nicholas resolves to visit Madeline in the morning to try to talk her out of the marriage. 

Meanwhile, Miss Morleena Kenwigs has been invited to a dance.  Her mother realises that Morleena is in desperate need of a haircut, but as Mr Kenwigs is out and Mrs Kenwigs has to stay at home, it’s looking unlikely that this will happen. Mrs K slaps Morleena as she blames her for the state of her hair – she’s also worried that Morleena will reveal what she’s wearing to the dance.  Noggs returns home and Mrs Kenwigs asks him to take Morleena to the hairdressers.

Once there, they see Mr Lillyvick – he is having a shave.  He asks after the family, especially the new baby boy.  He asks Morleena if the Mr and Mrs Kenwigs were upset by his marriage. Morleena confirms that they were but tells him they are now over it.  Mrs Lillywigs goes home with Morleena and Noggs.  Initially they are not happy to see him and accuse him of turning his back on them.  Relations thaw when Mrs Lillyvick reveals that his wife has eloped with another man – and that she stole “twelve teaspoons and twenty-four pound in sovereigns”– he is going to change his will so that the Kenwigs’ children will inherit some money after all.  

(53) After a restless night, Nicholas rises early and goes to visit Madeline.  He is very early so he paces the streets of London waiting for it to a suitable time for him to call on her. There is some reflection on how things seem worse in the daylight than they do at night-time.  He eventually calls at the Bray’s house and is worried about gaining entrance, but the front door is ajar so he lets himself into the house and knocks on Madeline’s door and is told to enter.

Madeline and her father are sitting together in the room.  Nicholas is shocked by the change in Madeline’s appearance – she is very pale which makes her brown hair look virtually black.  She looks mournful and the house, which has always in the past had attractive touches such as vases of flowers, has no such decorations. Mr Bray tells Nicholas to carry out his business quickly and then leave.  He knows that the Cheeryble brothers have been helping Madeline but says that they no longer need to.  Nicholas is angry and tells Mr Bray that he shouldn’t be forcing Madeline to marry.  Madeline is concerned for her father’s health saying that he’s ill, and he then has a fit, although he quickly recovers.  Nicholas tells her that she’s marrying a bad man – but she claims she has to go through with the marriage – it’s her choice.  Nicholas tries to persuade her to delay the wedding by a week but she refuses. 

Gride is looking forward to his nuptials.  He is a bit bothered that he let Ralph make the arrangements rather than doing it himself – now he must pay Ralph for acting on his behalf.  He plans a sumptuous wedding feast and will ‘make back’ the money by reducing the grocery order the next week.  Nicholas arrives and tells Gride that Madeline detests him (Gride doesn’t know who Nicholas is, and Nicholas refuses to tell him).  He asks Gride to postpone the wedding for one week.  He says that there are people – “wealthy friends” of Madeline’s - who will pay him if he agrees not to marry her.  Gride thinks to himself that although he could accept Nicholas’ offer he would rather get one over on Nicholas by marrying Madeline and therefore preventing Nicholas for having her for himself.  Worried that Nicholas will hurt him, Gride shouts from the window – Nicholas leaves the house and Gride bolts the door, telling his housekeeper that he will get up at half-past-five tomorrow in order to get married.

(54) Gride gets up early for his wedding.  His housekeeper mumbles that he should be happy to have her look after him – and that if he must get married he should choose someone nearer to his own age. 

Gride thinks that Nicholas must have found out about the wedding by overhearing discussion at the Bray’s house. Gride is scared of Ralph, who he now tells about the visit from Nicholas last night. Neither of them know that it was Nicholas.  They go to Madeline’s house.  The atmosphere there is rather gloomy, more suited to that of a funeral than what should be a happy occasion like a marriage.  Bray tells Ralph and Arthur that Madeline was unwell the previous evening and that she is weepy this morning, but ready to get married.  He is concerned that it is a cruel thing to allow his daughter to marry a man like Arthur but Ralph dismisses his concerns, telling Bray that Gride won’t live for long and that Madeline will then be financially secure and can marry who she likes.

Nicholas and Kate arrive at the house, much to the anger of Ralph.  Gride says that Nicholas was his visitor the previous evening.  Ralph orders that Nicholas and Kate should leave but they refuse.  He threatens Nicholas, but says he doesn’t want to hurt Kate.  Ralph accuses Nicholas of bringing Kate because he is a coward but Nicholas informs him that Kate has come to try to persuade Madeline not to go through with the wedding.  As this exchange takes place they hear a thud from upstairs, followed by screaming.  Bray is dead.  Nicholas gives his card to the Bray’s landlady and he and Kate escort Madeline to a coach to take her back to their home.

How mean of Mrs Kenwigs to slap Morleena just because she needed a trip to the hairdressers!  At least their fortunes have been restored now that Mr Lillyvik’s wife has done a bunk. It didn’t take her long, did it?!

It’s interesting that in chapter 53 Dickens writes that the daytime brings obstacles that “were scarcely taken into account” at night.  For me it’s the exact opposite! I am a bit of a worrier and in the dead of night if something is on my mind it seems like an enormous problem/situation/dilemma, but in the morning it never seems as bad!

Not meaning to wish death on anyone (even a fictional character!  :giggle2: ) but I’m glad that Madeline hasn’t got to marry Arthur Gride after all.  Now Nicholas has taken her back to his house there is potential for the two of them to get together. 

The pace is certainly picking up now.  I’m typing this after reading these chapters in the agreed schedule and will do so for the next two instalments so my thoughts won’t be with the benefit of knowing what is coming up.  :) 

I've finished the book now, but here's what I noted down at the end of chapter 54.

What a turn around from the Lilyvicks!  It reminded me of Mrs Bennet in Pride and Prejudice after Darcy has proposed to Elizabeth. :lol:

I had no idea how the situation with Madeline and Gride's wedding would resolve, but thank goodness she didn't have to marry him, and I'm glad that it wasn't as the result of Nicholas having to do something terrible, as that might have put paid to any potential future for them, but this way, that still looks like a possibility.

I read this for a literary analysis last year, and I don't remember a thing about the book  :doh:

I rushed through it to finish my paper in time, so I'm sure I missed so much. I'd like to go back and re-read it, but I still have nightmares of the lost sleep during those three weeks  :D

Dickens never fails to challenge readers

• 2 weeks later...

I typed this up on 23 December but thought the discussion date for it was this Sunday, not last!

WARNING – – –  THERE ARE SPOILERS AHEAD FOR CHAPTERS 55 – 58

Summary under spoiler

(55) Despite it being explained to her on numerous occasions, Mrs Nickleby struggles to understand why Madeline Bray is staying at the Nickleby’s house.  She thinks that the Cheeryble brothers want to prevent the marriage and doesn’t understand why they don’t either have her made a ward of court or even lock her in prison!  She even goes so far as to suggest that if they are as fond of her as Nicholas says then maybe one of the brothers should marry her!  She doesn’t see the problem with Madeline (she calls her Magdalen!) marrying someone much older than her.  She says that Mr Nickleby was older than her and they had a happy marriage. An acquaintance of hers had married someone much older who was very kind and they had a good marriage.

Kate points out that Gride is considerably older than Madeline, and that Madeline wasn’t marrying him out of choice, but rather out of necessity.  Also, Gride isn’t a nice person.  Mrs N is cross – she thinks her children think her stupid and that her opinion is of no consequence.

When the Cheerybles return from their travels they are very happy with the way Nicholas has dealt with the situation. Mrs Nickleby is very pleased with their reaction and things the family are ”as good as made”.

Madeline becomes both physically and emotionally ill with the stress of losing her father so suddenly – she is so poorly that the situation is actually life-threatening.  However she slowly recovers with Kate’s gentle care and attention and the pair spend so long talking about the past and about Nicholas that Madeline almost seems to muddle up Nicholas and Kate so that she starts to feel very warm towards Nicholas. 

Mrs Nickleby asks Madeline how she’s feeling.  Kate starts to answer for her but is told off by Mrs Nickleby.  Madeline comments that she thinks Nicholas is home later than usual that evening and Mrs N starts going on about Madeline and Kate thinking time more important than she ever did!  She says that Mr Nickleby used to say appetite was the best judge of time in the world and that Madeline has no appetite at the moment.   She suggests that “two or three dozen native lobsters give [a person] an appetite…” – she then corrects herself – she meant to say oysters!

Mrs N then goes on to tell Kate that she talks about Nicholas too much – she’s a kind nurse but if it wasn’t for Mrs Nickleby she doesn’t know what Miss Bray’s spirits would be like.  Later she dines with Nicholas and tells him that Madeline is “dull, listless, and low-spirited” and all because Kate talks about Nicholas and family matters too often. 

Frank Cheeryble becomes a frequent visitor – ostensibly to enquire after Madeline’s progress, but Mrs N is convinced that he’s really visiting so often because he is coming to see Kate – especially as the Cheeryble brothers receive regular reports from Madeline’s doctors and daily ones from Nicholas. 

Kate’s mother then starts playing mind-games with Frank to see if she can discover whether he really is interested in her daughter. Sometimes she is very friendly and chats to him and on other occasions she acts aloof.  She tells him she is considering sending Kate away – to France, Scotland or even America.  She even goes as far as to suggest Kate has a suitor in the son of an old neighbour of theirs called Horatio Peltirogus (he’s only four years old at the time!).

She tells Nicholas that Frank is in love with Kate.  Nicholas thought that he was there because of Madeline.  Mrs N wants Nicholas to make himself scarce at times by walking in the garden, sitting in his own room or even pretending to be asleep to give them time alone.  Nicholas thinks it would be wrong of them to encourage things because the family is poor.  Mrs N responds that poverty isn’t a crime, but Nicholas reminds her that they owe a great deal to the Cheeryble brothers and that it would do them an injustice to allow their nephew and only relative to marry someone with no money.  Mrs N reluctantly agrees to discourage them – or at least, not to help Frank in his courtship.

Smike is “alarmingly ill”.  He lacks energy and has lost a great deal of weight.  Nicholas is informed that the last chance and hope of life for Smike is to get him away from London – to Devonshire – to the part which Nicholas was born.  Nicholas is warned that whoever goes with Smike must prepare themselves for the worst because it appears that Smike has consumption and may well die.

The Cheeryble brothers, who know of Smike’s sad past, summon Nicholas on hearing the news.  They instruct Nicholas to remain with Smike until he recovers – they are sure he will improve.  The next day Nicholas and Smike set out on their journey.  Everyone is there to see Smike off but he can’t bear to look because he doesn’t want to see Kate.  Nicholas tells him that Kate is waving earnestly.  Smike prays that he will return – it sounds like “the prayer of a broken heart .”

(56) Gride tells Ralph it wasn’t his fault that Madeline didn’t marry him.  When Ralph replies he knows it wasn’t Gride tells him that the way he’s looking at him suggests otherwise.  Ralph says it’s Bray’s fault for not living for another hour.  Ralph looks very angry but appears to be calm which makes him appear even more menacing.  The pair of them go to Gride’s house – Peg isn’t there – and it appears that she has made off with a box that contains some important documents – that Gride wouldn’t want to get into anyone else’s hands.  Ralph burns the now worthless bond and suggests that they call the police to report the theft but Gride refuses – he knows that they contain some incriminating information that could see him imprisoned.

Squeers, answering Ralph’s summons, arrives at Ralph’s office.  He informs Ralph that his students have some kind of rash but are not too bad.  Ralph sends Noggs out for his lunch and locks the door behind him.  He tells Squeers he doesn’t trust Noggs and that eventually he’ll think of the “shortest and least troublesome way of ruining him

Squeers voices concern that their schemes are risky – Ralph tells him that Snawley is the only one who is lying in his claim that Smike is his son.  The only thing Squeers has mentioned is how Smike came to arrive at Dotheboys Hall – and that is true.  Ralph tells Squeers about Nicholas taking Madeline away and that she has an entitlement to some property – a fact she is totally unaware of.  If Nicholas marries her then he will be rich.  Peg has stolen the deed to the property that Madeline is entitled to.  Ralph wants Squeers to recover the deed so that it can be destroyed.

Squeers doesn’t want anything to do with that scheme, but Ralph tells him that Squeers will easily be able to get Peg’s confidence and then extract the documents – and Ralph will pay him £100 to do so.  It will also act as the perfect revenge upon Nicholas.  Squeers is to leave Silderskew for Ralph to deal with.

(57) For six weeks Squeers has been searching for Peg.  He eventually tracks her down but is worried how the school is faring in his absence.  He takes comfort from the thought of making money from Ralph.  He finds Peg and tells her he has come to help her – he is a lawyer who specialises in people who have committed theft.  Squeers tells Peg about the failed wedding attempt – it pleases Peg who feels she is now even with him.  Squeers offers to give his opinion of the deeds but Peg doesn’t want to show him.  He asks her why she only took papers and not the money but she says she knew Arthur would be after her if she did.  Peg suggests they go through the box and burn anything that isn’t worth any money – they will sell anything that is and also try to use some of the documents to implicate Gride.  They are so engrossed in their actions that they don’t notice Newman Noggs and Frank Cheeryble who have entered the room and are watching the proceedings.  Whilst Peg is burning the box Squeers looks through the contents to see if he can track down the deed.  He eventually finds it and laughs as he conceals it in his coat to prevent Peg from seeing it.  She asks what he’s laughing at, but before he can answer his is bashed over the head by Newman Noggs!

(58) Nicholas and the gravely poorly Smike travel to Devon, near to Nicholas’s boyhood home where Nicholas tells stories of the happy life he lived there.   He and Smike go to visit Nicholas’s father’s grave.  Smike says that he would like to be buried in the same place and Nicholas gives him word that when the time comes he will get his wish.  Smike’s health deteriorates further and so Nicholas takes a couch into the orchard and they spend lots of time together out there.  On one occasion Nicholas is asleep when he is awoken by screaming.  Smike has seen something behind one of the nearby trees – he tells Nicholas that it is the man who took him to Dotheboys Hall all those years ago.  Nicholas says that there is nobody there and that Smike must have imagined it.  Nicholas searches and makes enquiries but finds no trace of a stranger – despite being slightly comforted by this, Smike is still convinced he saw what he saw.

Smike is close to death.  He sleeps and on waking he tells Nicholas that he has had pleasant and happy dreams and that his is not scared of dying and that he knows they will meet again in heaven.  He tells Nicholas that the reason he has spent so much time on his own in recent months is because he was secretly in love with Kate.  Nicholas promises to put a lock of Kate’s hair that Smike has carried with him into the coffin with him and on that note Smike says he is happy and then he dies.

Not many notes about this section.

Mrs Nickleby is very irritating at times!  I did have a chuckle at her comment about Mr Nickleby being older than her – it was only a 4½ year age gap!  That’s hardly comparable with that of Madeline and Arthur Gride, silly woman! 

Good grief, I hadn’t seen Smike’s death coming.  :wibbly:  It made me cry.  :blush:  I suppose he had to die because of his love for Kate.  I don’t mean that it caused his death, but I don’t think Dickens could have made Kate and Smike convincingly work as a couple – but if they didn’t get together then Smike would have remained unhappy.   He couldn’t have Kate which made him sad, but he wasn’t sad about dying in the end because of his belief in an afterlife, and that he would be reunited with Nicholas eventually in heaven. 

Very sad.  I can't wait for the last instalment, although I shall be sad to say goodbye to Nicholas et al.

WARNING – – –  THERE ARE SPOILERS AHEAD FOR CHAPTERS 59 – 65

Summary under spoiler

(59) Ralph sits alone.  He is brooding and his breakfast is untouched.  He is not well, as illustrated by his “haggard face, jaded air and hollow, languid eyes”.  He wonders where Newman Noggs has gone and wishes that Noggs would do something which would lead to him being imprisoned.  He doesn’t know how, but he knows that Noggs has betrayed him. 

He sends his servant to make enquires as to Noggs’ whereabouts – she tells him that he didn’t return last night, and that there is someone waiting to speak to him.  It’s Charles Cheeryble – Ralph doesn’t really want to see him, but the visit perks him up a bit and restores the sneer to his lips!  Charles says he is there against his will but that he has come on an errand of mercy with something to say which will be to Ralph’s advantage – he says that when Ralph tries to go about the business in which he has been recently engaged he will find it difficult – and that when that happens he should visit the Cheeryble brothers and Tim Linkinwater they will explain it to him.  Charles advises him not to leave it too long.

Ralph goes to visit the Snawleys.  Mrs Snawley refuses to let him in or to call her husband down.  He leaves and goes to find Squeers at the inn.  Squeers isn’t there though and has left his luggage behind and has not paid his bill.  He discovers that Squeers and a lady have been taken away by two men – he surmises they must have been arrested. Next Ralph goes to Gride’s house but Gride also refuses him admittance.  Finally he goes to the Cheerybles to find out what is going on.  They summon Noggs .  Noggs accuses Ralph of influencing Squeers, Bray and Gride to commit wicked deeds and informs him that he overheard Ralph and Gride’s scheme to marry Madeline off to Mr Bray. 

Charles tells Ralph that Snawley has confessed that Smike was not his son – he has implicated Ralph and Squeers.  Because Ralph is related to Nicholas, the Cheerybles suggest that he leaves London in order to escape arrest – they hope he will see the error of his ways and become a reformed character, but Ralph refuses.

(60) Instead of returning home, Ralph goes to the police office to see Squeers.  Squeers tells him about Noggs hitting him.  Squeers had been found in the company of a thief and holding a document (the will in Madeline’s favour) that didn’t belong to him.  He was denied bail as a result.  Ralph returns home.  Tim Linkinwater arrives with bad news and takes Ralph back to the Cheertble brothers where he finds out that Smike is dead – a fact that pleases Ralph.

Brooker is there – he announces that Smike is Ralph’s child!  Ralph had married a widow who was entitled to property – but the marriage had taken place without the woman’s brother’s consent so the pair of them kept their union secret because if their marriage was discovered then the woman would be disinherited.  The pair had a son but Ralph sent him away.  The wife eloped with another man and died shortly afterwards.  Brooker bought Smike back but he was poorly.  Brooker didn’t like the way Ralph was treating his son so took him to Dotheboys Hall and told Ralph that the boy was dead.  Brooker didn’t discover that Smike had run away until much later – he tracked Smike down and tried talking to him, but Smike was scared.  Finally Brooker talked to Nicholas but it was too late – Smike had already died.  Ralph flees. 

(61) Nicholas returns home and the family grieve for Smike.  Mrs Nickleby points out how sad it is that she has lost someone who was so devoted to her.  Miss La Creevy is sad that Nicholas was unable to save Smike despite his best intentions.  Nicholas is sad, but is comforted that Smike died with him there providing comfort.

Nicholas asks Kate if the Cheeryble brothers have any plans for Madeline.  She says no and that she doesn’t want Madeline to go – Nicholas says he doesn’t either and confesses his love.  However he knows he can’t court Madeline because it wouldn’t be right after all the Cheeryble brothers had done for the family.  Kate tells him that Frank had proposed but she had turned him down for the same reasons.  Frank has insisted that he will talk to his uncles about his love for Kate – Nicholas resolves to ask the brothers to take temptation out of his way be removing Madeline from their house.

Nicholas and Kate resolve to grow old together, having both given up the people they love for noble reasons.  Nicholas visits Charles and confesses that he loves Madeline.  Mr C agrees to remove Madeline and not tell her the real reason why.  Nicholas then tells him about Frank’s proposal to Kate.  Charles tells him that Frank is foolish and that the subject is a painful one so they are to discuss it no more.

He asks Nicholas to return later to which he agrees.  He returns and is filled in about all that took place between the brothers and Ralph yesterday.  He feels rather unsettled.

(62) Ralph leaves the Cheerbles and returns home.  On his way he passes a “poor, mean burial place” and thinks about the time he sat on the jury of a man sho had committed suicide and was buried there.  He hadn’t thought about the man for years.

He reflects on all he has discovered about Smike – and laments the fact that Smike loved his enemy, Nicholas.   As Nicholas had suggested, Ralph’s life is falling apart.  Everything has gone wrong for him.  People he was friendly with have either died or left, his plan to marry Gride to Madeline failed, his investments have gone wrong… and worst of all he had failed his own son.  He knows he wouldn’t have been a great father but feels he would have been okay and that the pair of them may have been happy.  He thinks the death of his son (even though it didn’t really happen) and the eloping of is wife were contributory factors to his hardness. 

He is increasingly angry that Nicholas and Smike had a great relationship.  He goes up to the boy’s bedroom.  A man calls up to Ralph and asks whether Brooker should be detained. Ralph says yes, and that the Cheeryble brothers should bring him and Nicholas to the house the next day.  

Some men are trying to rouse Ralph.  They know he returned home the previous evening but he is not answering the door.  They break in and go up to Smike’s old room where they find Ralph.  He has hanged himself.

(63) Several weeks have gone by.  The Nicklebys haven’t seen Madeline or Frank for some time when one day they receive an invitation to dine with the Cheerbyle brothers.  They have also invited Miss La Creevy.  Mrs Nicholby is surprised that Miss La Creevy has been invited but supposes that she will manage to behave herself!  She feels sure that Nicholas is about to be invited to be a partner in the Cheerbyle brothers’ company.

Kate is embarrassed because she knows the Cheerybles know of Frank’s proposal.  She is also sad because it appears that Madeline has forgotten about her.  Charles informs her that there is a letter to her in the other room from Madeline.  He has something he would like to talk to Nicholas and Frank about.  Edward Cheeryble stays to entertain Mrs N and Miss La Creevy. 

Charles has a copy of a will belonging to Madeline’s grandfather.  He had disinherited her but had a change of heart – the new will had been overlooked.  Now it has been found and Madeline’s fortunes are restored.  Charles asks Frank if he wishes to marry Madeline.  He thinks she loves someone else – Charles agrees, telling them it’s Nicholas whom Madeline is in love with.  He also tells them that he knows Frank loves Kate.  He gives his blessing to both couples.  It emerges that Tim and Miss La Creevy are also engaged.   Noggs arrives – he is dressed in the clothes of a gentlemen.  The company enjoy their dinner.  Mrs Nickleby does not approve of Tim and Miss L C’s engagement!

(64) Nicholas decides to visit the Browdies.  As he is travelling north he recalls his very first trip there – on the way to Dotheboys Hall.  Squeers has been sentenced to seven years transportation for possessing the stolen will.  Nicholas arrives at the Browdies’ house and fills them in on recent events.  John Browdie worries what will happen at the school when people get wind of what has happened to Mr Squeers – he goes to the Hall to find a rebellion.  He prevents anyone from hurting Mrs Squeers, Wackford and Fanny and suggests the students leave.  Some of the children fare better than others out in the world.  Dotheboys Hall closes.

(65) Madeline’s period of mourning for her father comes to an end and she and Nicholas marry.  Kate and Frank marry too on the same day and Tim and Miss L C marry a few weeks later.   Nicholas invests some of Madeline’s money into the business and it becomes known as Cheeryble and Nickleby as prophesised by Mrs N.  Eventually the brothers retire and Nicholas and Frank inherit the company with Tim, after some coercing, agreeing to take a share in the company too.

As Ralph died intestate, Nicholas would be entitled to his money as next-of-kin but he doesn’t want it as it’s dirty money so it goes to the state.  Arthur Gride is tried for unlawful possession of a will but is acquitted due to a legal flaw only to be murdered a few years later.

Mrs Sliderskew was transported at the same time as Squeers and didn’t ever return.  Brooker died regretting his actions.  Sir Mulberry Hawk remained abroad for some years.  Upon his return to England he was jailed for debt.

When Nicholas became rich he bought his father’s old house and he and Madeline had many children.  He extended and repaired the house but otherwise left things as they were in remembrance of things past.

Kate lived nearby with her own children.  Mrs Nickleby divided her time between the two families – sometimes travelling to London with them.  It was a long time before she felt able to receive the former Miss La Creevy and it is doubtful that she ever really forgave her for marrying Tim.

Noggs also moved to live near to Nicholas and Kate and spent lots of time with the children, of whom he was exceptionally fond – and the feeling was mutual as the children loved him too. 

Smike’s grave was nearby and was tended by all the children who “spoke low and softly of their poor dead cousin.

Things in this last section really step up as all the threads come together.  Some are predictable (Nicholas and Kate’s weddings) and some came as a complete surprise.  I certainly didn’t guess that Smike was Ralph’s son. 

I think it was quite obvious that Ralph’s story would not end on a happy note – although I did wonder if Dickens might give him some redemption at the end, but sadly not.  I did almost feel sorry for him. He was terribly jealous that Nicholas and Smike had got on so well and that Nicholas was there at the end of Smike’s life. If things in his early life had gone better and he hadn’t lost his wife and Smike then he would have possibly had a happier life and it would have been him comforting his dying son.  Or maybe Smike might even have survived. 

When I got to the part in chapter 62 when Ralph thinks about the man who had committed suicide by cutting his own throat I wondered if this was going to be Ralph’s fate, and that this story might foreshadow what was coming up.  The location of his suicide – that of Smike’s “childish terror, fourteen years before” was entirely appropriate.  I Googled because I wasn’t exactly sure when the act of suicide stopped being a crime – I was quite surprised that it was as late as 1961. 

The two weddings were predictable, but I was happy that both Kate, and especially Nicholas, got their happy endings.  I was also pleased that Newman Noggs had such a large part in the families’ lives.