Oldies that has NOT stood the test of time

emelee

This topic is for music, tv and film. 

What oldies - no newer than 10 years - has not stood the test of time? What music, series or film is just not good in 2014?

I watched many primetime soaps in the 90s. I recently decided to check out some episodes for old times sake, maybe even re-watch a whole series. But good lord did they fail to interest me. I am talking about Central Park West, Models Inc, Pasific Palisades, Savannah, Beverly Hills 90210, Melrose Place...... I was shocked, wondering how I could have liked them in the first place. Maybe it was the horrifying quality of the video that caused some of those feelings. But it felt like the acting was embarrassing, the plots so common you can see it on any show and just plain cheesy. 

I never watched them first run, but now if I catch a segment or so in syndication of Seinfeld or Friends, they are SO outdated!  I'll always watch 90210 though :P My mom was just saying what a funny movie 2001 Space Odyssey has become.

Can we also add books that haven't withstood the test of time?  My teacher referenced this, but I couldn't think of anything.  I guess because I normally take into account when the book was written/ published as a factor when reading.  I usually find books ahead of their time, not behind.

I never watched them first run, but now if I catch a segment or so in syndication of Seinfeld or Friends, they are SO outdated!  I'll always watch 90210 though :P My mom was just saying what a funny movie 2001 Space Odyssey has become.

Seinfeld, really? I still watch that show now and then even though I've seen all episodes at least three times. 

I think mainly the problem is that technology is a lot different nowadays than pre-2000. Episodes where someone gets lost or locked in or hurt while alone, that kind of thing couldn't happen as much anymore because most people have a mobile phone that they can use to call help. However if you view the series as taking place in a 'historical' rather than contemporary, I find they're easier to watch.

I don't know if I find that Friends has dated, it's more I think that I've seen it so many times that watching it is perhaps not as fun anymore (the same goes for other favourite old TV series such as Full House or Vrienden voor het Leven).

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with Athena about Friends.  I think it can withstand the test of time better than some of the 90's shows because it was all about the relationships between the friends.  Who cares if they didn't have iphones, wifi, etc? It has the same premise as some of the popular shows of today.

Speaking of Full House, there is supposedly a reboot of the show in the works with the original cast members (probably not the Olsen twins).

Honestly, I can't think of many shows that I loved watching when I was younger that I wouldn't watch now, except some cartoons.  I guess nostalgia has a lot to do with that though.