Competition: Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel [Closed]

Michelle

Following our tweaks and changes, we have some new competitions, starting off with FIVE chances to win a copy of Station Eleven.

station11.jpg

An audacious, darkly glittering novel about art, fame, and ambition set in the eerie days of civilization's collapse.

DAY ONE

The Georgia Flu explodes over the surface of the earth like a neutron bomb.

News reports put the mortality rate at over 99%.

WEEK TWO

Civilization has crumbled.

YEAR TWENTY

A band of actors and musicians called the Travelling Symphony move through their territories performing concerts and Shakespeare to the settlements that have grown up there. Twenty years after the pandemic, life feels relatively safe.

But now a new danger looms, and he threatens the hopeful world every survivor has tried to rebuild.

STATION ELEVEN

Moving backwards and forwards in time, from the glittering years just before the collapse to the strange and altered world that exists twenty years after, Station Eleven charts the unexpected twists of fate that connect six people: famous actor Arthur Leander; Jeevan - warned about the flu just in time; Arthur's first wife Miranda; Arthur's oldest friend Clark; Kirsten, a young actress with the Travelling Symphony; and the mysterious and self-proclaimed 'prophet'.

Thrilling, unique and deeply moving, this is a beautiful novel that asks questions about art and fame and about the relationships that sustain us through anything - even the end of the world.

-----

Station Eleven has been taking Twitter by storm, even before publication, and the lovely people at Pan Macmillan are offering a chance for you to get your hands on a copy.

To be in with a chance, simply imagine a society where society has collapsed, electricity has gone, transport stopped etc - what do you think you'd miss the most? Reply here, and I'll enter your name into the draw.

UK only I'm afraid, , as copies are coming from the publisher. Closing date midnight on Sat 23rd August.

Technology can go to hell, the thing I'd miss the most is new books (and the book shops to browse them in).

I did think of books, but decided that universally book lovers would seek and preserve books, therefore there would be a sub culture of book lovers in this new world. :smile:

For those of you expecting the usual post-apocalyptic read, I've lifted a couple of quotes from reviews..

Emily St. John's writing has a real literary feel to it, I love how she subtly poses questions for the reader to mull over, sometimes providing answers and other times, leaving them open. Station Eleven is an interesting read that I think a lot of people will be talking about.

http://dot-scribbles.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/book-review-station-eleven-by-emily-st.html

Station Eleven is, in many ways, a love letter. It's a love letter to the earth and the civilisation we know now and that we take for granted in many ways - the earth and civilisation that is the past in Station Eleven. It's a love letter to the resilience of humankind, and its ability to cope with the end of the world. And it's a love letter to creativity and art, one framed within a beautifully written piece of work.

http://girlreporter.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/review-station-eleven-by-emily-st-john.html

I did think of books, but decided that universally book lovers would seek and preserve books, therefore there would be a sub culture of book lovers in this new world. :smile:

All the books will be burned to keep people warm, stories will only be kept orally (and by that I mean written on small rocks and kept in people's mouths).