Catherine Ryan Hyde

Athena

Since a couple of us here on BCF are reading or have read some of Catherine Ryan Hyde's books, I thought we could discuss them here. I just finished Don't Let Me Go yesterday and loved it. It was an emotional ride with great characters. The writing style was really good too. I have When I Found You on my TBR. I've added her other books to my wishlist. Are all her books so full of great characters, serious issues and emotionalness? I really enjoyed this one.

I am happy to see that you enjoyed Don't Let Me Go. It was definitely an interesting and enjoyable read for me and maybe was one of hers that I enjoyed the most (along with Walk Me Home). All of the books that I have read so far have endearing (word that poppy used) characters in them. Her books also usually contain some sort of underlying message.

I have requested our local library to obtain more of her books. :)

So far I have read Catherine Ryan Hyde books as follows:

1. Walk Me Home 4.5/5
  2. Don't Let Me Go 4.5/5
  3. Becoming Chloe 4/5
  4. When I Found You 4/5
  5. Take Me With You 3/5
Edited by muggle not

I rated the 3 I've read all 5/5's.  I haven't gotten to Becoming Chloe or Take Me With You yet, but I think a book of hers will be next for me, I just don't know which one.  I have the longest TBR Catherine Ryan Hyde list ever! 

Nice- I just looked up Becoming Chloe again on Amazon and read three spoilers- damn :banghead:  

I rated the 3 I've read all 5/5's.  I haven't gotten to Becoming Chloe or Take Me With You yet, but I think a book of hers will be next for me, I just don't know which one.  I have the longest TBR Catherine Ryan Hyde list ever! 

Nice- I just looked up Becoming Chloe again on Amazon and read three spoilers- damn :banghead:  

LMAO - Be careful reading the spoilers. :)

Actually, I rate my first two reads a 4.5., but I just showed a 4.. :)

Edit - have changed the first two reads to 4.5. :)

Edited by muggle not

LMAO - Be careful reading the spoilers. :)

I know, right?  I mean, how irritating!  It was a different synopsis right after the Amazon one.  I understand they can't police the poster's reviews. but they can AT LEAST make sure official stuff is!

Anyway, now that I know, I might be reading something other than that next.  :negative: I think it's going to be When You Were Older (which sounds a little like When I Found You) or Where We Belong.

Has anyone/ is anyone going to read Pay it Forward?  Seen the movie?

Edited by Anna Begins

Awww :(. I really don't like being spoiled either. That's just stupid, that there were spoilers in the official stuff!

I've only read one of hers - Second Hand Heart.  I liked it until about 3/4 of the way through, and I hated the last part.  But I won't say why, because of potential spoilers.  I think maybe it was not one of her best books, judging by some reviews I've read, so I might give some of the others mentioned on this thread a try.

I loaned my wife Don't Let Me Go (from my kindle to her kindle) and she finished it last night. She enjoyed the book but not as much as Walk Me Home. :)

Really?  That's interesting!  I know you liked Walk Me Home a lot too.  I simply liked Don't Let Me Go more because it made me feel so emotional- it's hard for a book to do that to me.  I hope to get to one of her books in the next week or so, depending on how Trainspotting goes...

Edited by Anna Begins

Just picked up Where We Belong last night for a 99 cent deal.  It's 413 pages, so I might try and read it over the 3 day read-a thon.  I've been looking forward to reading it anyway, so when I saw it on sale, I had to grab it!

From Amazon:

Fourteen-year-old Angie and her mom are poised at the edge of homelessness… again. The problem is her little sister, Sophie. Sophie has an autism-like disorder, and a tendency to shriek. No matter where they live, home never seems to last long.

Until they move in with Aunt Vi, across the fence from a huge black Great Dane who changes everything. Sophie falls in love immediately, and begins to imitate the “inside of the dog,” which, fortunately, is a calm place. The shrieking stops. Everybody begins to breathe again. Until Paul Inverness, the dog’s grumpy, socially isolated owner, moves to the mountains, and it all begins again.

Much to Angie’s humiliation, when they’re thrown out of Aunt Vi’s house, Angie’s mom moves the family to the mountains after Paul and his dog. There, despite a fifty-year difference in their ages, Angie and Paul form a deep friendship, the only close friendship either has known. Angie is able to talk to him about growing up gay, and Paul trusts Angie with his greatest secret, his one dream. When the opportunity arrives, Angie decides to risk everything to help Paul’s dream come true, even their friendship and her one chance at a real home—the only thing she’s dreamed of since her father was killed. A place she can never be thrown out. A place she can feel she belongs.

Just picked up Where We Belong last night for a 99 cent deal.  It's 413 pages, so I might try and read it over the 3 day read-a thon.  I've been looking forward to reading it anyway, so when I saw it on sale, I had to grab it!

I just bought it for $1.99. If someone had informed me it was on sale yesterday I could have got it for $.99. :D

I saw the sale but when I clicked on it, it said it wasn't available in my country :(. I didn't think about telling anyone else, sorry :blush2:.

• 4 weeks later...