When you write book reviews...

Anna Begins

As I've said before, there's a difference between writing a critique, which to me is an in depth look into a book, and a review, which is a (spoiler-free) overview of a book. The latter is what I read, and is aimed at readers who are considering the book. :)

I also always keep in mind that the author of the book might well read it, and I know if it were me I'd want an honest and constructive opinion!

That's an interesting person to have in mind when writing a review!  I never thought of it that way before- usually, I write with future potential readers in mind  :smile:  but I also don't want to throw anything too controversial in my forum reviews... start up a big deal.  That's why I write one for myself, too, basically the same, just written for me.  I also think of it as writing for a school class, which helps it be more proper.

Well I know that If I ever get a book published I would be reading reader reviews as they're the important ones, and if there were criticisms that kept being mentioned I could work on them if the future... But I know what you mean about controversy, and all my comments are only ever about what I read in the book. I've seen reviews that are downright insulting, not so much reviews as personal attacks, which aren't helpful at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I usually make notes while I'm reading (if I'm near the computer), or highlight passages on my Kindle, but even so it can still be very hard to pull all the notes together into something that is meaningful and makes sense. I would like to write reviews as soon as I finish a book, but sometimes I struggle so much that I leave it. And then the longer I leave it, the harder it becomes to recall.  :blush2:  I often have to go online to read a plot summary to refresh my memory.

I think if a book is brilliant the reviewers enthusiasm shines through (and likewise if they hate it, that comes through), but for mediocre or average books (which are probably the majority) it is quite difficult to give across a strong impression. :dunno:

• 3 weeks later...

As I've said before, there's a difference between writing a critique, which to me is an in depth look into a book, and a review, which is a (spoiler-free) overview of a book. The latter is what I read, and is aimed at readers who are considering the book. :)

I totaly agree. I am a member of some websites, dediacted to book reviews and what I mainly see is that people does not know that difference.

I personaly write me reviews in one, maximum two days after I have read the book, since most of the time I finish my books late at night :)

But yes, the review is something amed at the futuer reader of the book. I see a lot of people that give reviews to books they know they won't like from the begining, which is just mean.

In my opinion, the point of the review is that you enjoy the genre, heave read something about the books, decided to read it, BEACAUSE you think you may like it, and based on that and the book itself you write what you think about it. From that point on, I rearly give a grade - 0 or 1, since for me to begin with a book I have to be interested enough in it, which automaticaly takes its grade at 2 as a start.

In my opinion, the point of the review is that you enjoy the genre, heave read something about the books, decided to read it, BEACAUSE you think you may like it, and based on that and the book itself you write what you think about it. From that point on, I rearly give a grade - 0 or 1, since for me to begin with a book I have to be interested enough in it, which automaticaly takes its grade at 2 as a start.

That's interesting.  Do you ever feel like changing your rating after time?