Robin Williams - Favourite films / memories

Michelle

Robin Williams death: a reminder that suicide and depression are not selfish

News of Robin Williams death due to apparent suicide, said to be a result of suffering severe depression, is terribly sad. But to say taking your own life because of such an illness is a ‘selfish’ act does nothing but insult the deceased, potentially cause more harm and reveal a staggering ignorance of mental health problems; the full article is here

http://www.theguardian.com/science/brain-flapping/2014/aug/12/robin-williams-suicide-and-depression-are-not-selfish

I have been watching Robin Williams movies all week to remind myself of how great an actor he is, they include, The Fisher King, Awakenings, and of course Aladdin 

I loved robin williams in everything. I think my favourite woulf have to be Aladdin though.

He was a bit of a gamer as some of you may know, he played World of Warcraft among others (like zelda). The developers of World of Warcraft are going to put him in as a non playable character, and that they will have him saying some of his quotes.

News of Robin Williams death due to apparent suicide, said to be a result of suffering severe depression, is terribly sad. But to say taking your own life because of such an illness is a ‘selfish’ act does nothing but insult the deceased, potentially cause more harm and reveal a staggering ignorance of mental health problems; the full article is here

http://www.theguardian.com/science/brain-flapping/2014/aug/12/robin-williams-suicide-and-depression-are-not-selfish

I have been watching Robin Williams movies all week to remind myself of how great an actor he is, they include, The Fisher King, Awakenings, and of course Aladdin 

Sod, I agree with you on this. Depression is a terrible disease that plays no favorites and affects rich & poor and famous & the every day person. 

I can't speak for Pontalba but I think some of the problem that people have is the way he did it.  He was there, anyone could have walked in, be it his children, wife, etc.  Thankfully, it turned out to be his agent, but that is still awful.  I have struggled with depression and suicide so I do have perspective.  Personally, I felt (and feel) I would go somewhere to be a not be such a burden emotionally to my family... if I was thinking clearly.  Sounds like maybe he wasn't- it does take over you, but still, I think it's mainly the way he did it.  I DO NOT agree with calling him a coward or shellfish, etc 

I can imagine the TV stations are having a ball with it.  Thankfully we don't have TV in the house..  If you read the article I linked, you'll see how the media is actually glamorizing his death and how that sort of attention causes some vulnerable young people to think that suicide is an attractive alternative to consider.  Just awful.

We are thinking about going sans TV as well- or at least, just basic cable.  I read the link (I didn't have much time to respond to that part yesterday), reminds me of The Bridge, when I was in the media, we discussed it a lot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bridge_(2006_documentary_film)

It's a terrible thing when someone is in such pain they feel suicide is the only option left to them.  It's perhaps a worse thing to walk into a room and find that loved one hanging by their belt.  It is all fine and good to memorialize a person and remember the good things about them, but I think we must remember the end as well. 

I saw and read an excellent article in the Washington Post newspaper yesterday on the problem of "suicide contagion and social media".  I'm linking the article here.  http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2014/08/12/suicide-contagion-and-social-media-the-dangers-of-sharing-genie-youre-free/

I sincerely hope he does rest in peace, and I wish the same for his family.  They'll have a harder time of it, I believe.

I think it's pretty clear that I referred to the article I linked in my above post.  The media glamorizes and softens the blow of suicide.  IMO, they make it seem as though it is a desirable "out".  It is not, in any circumstances a reasonable thing to do.

I really hope you are not referring to my post, sod.  As, if you'd read the post closely and the linked article, one would see exactly what I was referring to.

Sod, I agree with you on this. Depression is a terrible disease that plays no favorites and affects rich & poor and famous & the every day person. 

No disease plays favorites.  Not a one.  Nor does a person ask for a disease to strike. 

It's how we handle the disease that is our own choice,.

I can't speak for Pontalba but I think some of the problem that people have is the way he did it.  He was there, anyone could have walked in, be it his children, wife, etc.  Thankfully, it turned out to be his agent, but that is still awful.  I have struggled with depression and suicide so I do have perspective.  Personally, I felt (and feel) I would go somewhere to be a not be such a burden emotionally to my family... if I was thinking clearly.  Sounds like maybe he wasn't- it does take over you, but still, I think it's mainly the way he did it.  I DO NOT agree with calling him a coward or shellfish, etc 

We are thinking about going sans TV as well- or at least, just basic cable.  I read the link (I didn't have much time to respond to that part yesterday), reminds me of The Bridge, when I was in the media, we discussed it a lot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bridge_(2006_documentary_film)

If any of you had a close, loved one commit suicide you would know the pain, absolute agony it causes the ones left behind.  Have you heard of survivor guilt?  Close ones to a suicide can and do suffer from that, however illogical it may seem to outsiders.  Children of suicides are far more likely to commit suicide as well, and not only because of any genetic proclivity toward the disease of depression.  http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/04/100421160013.htm

I've heard of that documentary, Anna, but haven't seen it.  Frankly, I don't want to.  But I do thank you for the link, it was interesting. 

P.S., Anna, we have a television but only for DVDs.  We live in out in the country and the regular signal is very weak, practically nonexistent.  We had cable for about 4 years.  Gave it up 5 years ago.  Every time I think I miss it a little, I go in a place, and there are a plethora of them!, that have TVs running the entire time.  By the time we've finished a meal, I am so sick of it I could puke.  :)  Fast and cheap cure.

Edited by pontalba

Self preservation is one of  a human's most basic instincts so no rational thinking person would contemplate doing this unless they felt they were in an inescapable place. I don't think anyone can really understand just how it feels to be in this place unless they've experienced severe depression. Your whole thinking gets skewed to the point where you think loved ones would actually be better off without you. I am in no way condoning suicide and think it's such a tragedy for everyone involved. I can understand though, that when you've been dealing with the pain of depression for many years and it all becomes too much to bear, you can only focus on yourself. In a way you'd feel it was selfish of others to want you to go on suffering. From what I've read about Robin Williams, he was an exceptionally kind and compassionate man, he's not the sort of person who would consciously inflict that kind of pain on his loved ones.

Pont, this isn't in response to your post, just my own thoughts about depression and suicide. The article you quoted raises a very valid point that suicide should never be glorified. It's so very sad that he wasn't able to remember his own quote "If you are that depressed, reach out to someone. And remember, suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.”

Self preservation is one of  a human's most basic instincts so no rational thinking person would contemplate doing this unless they felt they were in an inescapable place. I don't think anyone can really understand just how it feels to be in this place unless they've experienced severe depression. Your whole thinking gets skewed to the point where you think loved ones would actually be better off without you. I am in no way condoning suicide and think it's such a tragedy for everyone involved. I can understand though, that when you've been dealing with the pain of depression for many years and it all becomes too much to bear, you can only focus on yourself. In a way you'd feel it was selfish of others to want you to go on suffering. From what I've read about Robin Williams, he was an exceptionally kind and compassionate man, he's not the sort of person who would consciously inflict that kind of pain on his loved ones.

Pont, this isn't in response to your post, just my own thoughts about depression and suicide. The article you quoted raises a very valid point that suicide should never be glorified. It's so very sad that he wasn't able to remember his own quote "If you are that depressed, reach out to someone. And remember, suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.”

Well stated popsicle .........and I hope that puts an end to the off-topic subject of suicide.

Well stated popsicle .........and I hope that puts an end to the off-topic subject of suicide.

I now have a memory of Robin Williams.  Unfortunately it is not as favorable as my memory (and knowledge) of Michael J. Fox.

The stated topic includes "memories" of Williams.

The stated topic includes "memories" of Williams.

Yes, I'm sorry, I did go a little off track. :blush: 

Looking through his movies I realise there are quite a few I haven't watched, I'm sure TV channels will be showing many of these soon, so I'm looking forward to catching up with these.

But more than any particular movie moment, my main memory of him will always be his genuine kindness, gentleness, compassion and empathy. It shines through in so many of his movies, you can see it in his eyes, there is no way, in my mind, that it is merely acting. Maybe he had such a big heart because he knew what it was to suffer too.

Yes, I'm sorry, I did go a little off track. :blush: 

Looking through his movies I realise there are quite a few I haven't watched, I'm sure TV channels will be showing many of these soon, so I'm looking forward to catching up with these.

But more than any particular movie moment, my main memory of him will always be his genuine kindness, gentleness, compassion and empathy. It shines through in so many of his movies, you can see it in his eyes, there is no way, in my mind, that it is merely acting. Maybe he had such a big heart because he knew what it was to suffer too.

Wasn't directed to you, poppy. :friends0:

Poppy - if you haven't already seen them I strongly recommend Good Will Hunting and The Fisher King.........absolutely brilliant performances..

No, I haven't seen those Muggles, they were two I'd already earmarked as being ones I particularly wanted to watch. The other one is The Dead Poet's Society.

Wasn't directed to you, poppy. :friends0:

But I DO have the bad tendency of going off topic. I'm always expecting to be pulled up for it :giggle2: 

Apologies if i upset anyone with my previous post.

I wasn't referring to any previous posts here, it was just that I feel that the media have been focusing far to much on how Robin died rather than the great loss felt by many across the world, and that Depression needs,  to be shown as an illness  rather than a weakness. Having suffered in the past and at present suffering with Depression I know only too well how far the human brain can turn towards the negative, I am lucky to have been asked two or three times over the past couple of months if I was going to hurt myself (It makes you think hard) and at present my answer is No, however, I really don't give a damn if I don't wake up in the morning. And with my line of work I always let my clients know that admitting to oneself and a medical professional, friend, anybody  that one is having a problem is a strength not a weakness

So sad and shocked to hear the news. :cry:

My favorite films were the more serious ones: Dead Poet's Society, Good Will Hunting, The Fisher King, Insomnia and One Hour Photo. I have them all on DVD so will be watching them again in the coming weeks.

Don't think anybody has mentioned What Dreams May Come yet? I really liked that one, also Awakenings, Dead Poets Society and Good Will Hunting. Although his character in the last one probably breaks every rule for practioners of psychotherapy!