Robin Williams - Favourite films / memories

Michelle

I think everyone was shocked to hear today of the death of Robin Williams, a great sadness that he gave so much and yet felt the need to take his own life. May he be in peace now. 

I wanted to celebrate his life, and his films, as I'm sure many have different favourites.

So to start, mine include Hook, Awakenings, Jumanji, The Fisher King.. and my absolute favourite, Dead Poet's Society. I also remember watching Mork and Mindy. :)

"Oh captain, my captain."

Robin Williams was one of a kind. I just loved almost all of his movies and performances. Probably my favorite movies were Good Will Hunting and The Fisher King. seldom do we see a person that is both a gifted comedian and also an excellent actor.

May he R.I.P.

I will miss him.

He was such a funny guy, but he could really act too.  My favourite film of his was The Fisher King, and recently I did post on another thread that this film has one of my all time favourite film scenes ever - the waltz scene in Grand Central Station.

I loved Good Morning Vietnam as well, and Jumanji.  I also remember him guest starring in one episode of Homicide: Life on the Street - a police show, which never really got the recognition it deserved.   Anyway, he played a man whose wife was killed during a mugging but he survived.  His performance really stood out.  

He will be missed.  He touched a lot of lives, and I wonder if he knew how loved he really was.

My favourites have to be Aladdin and The Bird Cage.  I also loved his appearance on Inside the Actors Studio, where he did an amazing improvisation using a pink pashmina.  A wonderful entertainer. 

This has been the best thing I've learned today … Robin Williams improvised so much of Aladdin that the film couldn't be Oscar nominated for Best Screenplay (via @qikipedia)

I used to love Mork & Mindy when i was a kid. I havent seen all his films but the ones i have seen made him one of my favourite actors. I especially loved the episode of Whose Line Is It Anyway US that he guest starred in. He was so hyper & had everyone in stitches!!

I was just talking about this in the Film thread:

I wanted to watch Dead Poets Society right after hearing.  Tiburon, California, where he lived, is only a half hour away from me.  And the house Mrs. Doubtfire was filmed.  Both have become shrines.  He lead the news- all of the news (didn't think a full hour was necessary, on every channel yet) last night.  It's really sad.

He was great at funny but also loved the serious side of him too....feel like you almost got to see the real side of him almost. There again we didn't really did we....so sad he died and the way he left us all. My boys loved Jumanji...they used to watch it over and over. Also Hook was a favourite. So sad, :blush2:

Edited by Inver

Such sad, sad news. I've been a fan of his since Mork and Mindy days. Not only a wonderfully funny actor,  a comic genius, but a lovely warm, kind and compassionate person.  Someone said, ' Robin Williams may have been the only person in the world who didn't love him.'

Such sad, sad news. I've been a fan of his since Mork and Mindy days. Not only a wonderfully funny actor,  a comic genius, but a lovely warm, kind and compassionate person.  Someone said, ' Robin Williams may have been the only person in the world who didn't love him.'

Thats very sad but quite true.

May he rest in peace :(..

He made so many great films, I don't think I could pick a favourite really. He was such a great actor and person. It's very sad he was depressed and felt the need to take his own life.. I hope he feels better now wherever he may be.

EDIT: Now that I've read a bit more, I think I'd like to see some of his films that I haven't seen yet.

Edited by Athena

My immediate favourite would be Mrs Doubtfire but the more I have thought about it, the more films have come to mind.  One Hour Photo, Hook, Patch Adams, Flubber, Good Morning Vietnam, Aladdin, Jumanji, Toys.  This man was such a large part of my childhood and for that I will be forever grateful.

RIP

I have to admit that he was never a favorite of mine. It's sad to hear he's dead though. My favorite of his movies is Mrs Doubtfire. That was so sweet.

Echoing emelee's thoughts. It's still sad though. My favorite is also Mrs Doubtfire, but I also really liked The Bicentennial Man

Such sad news, he will be missed :(

My favourites are 'Awakenings' and 'Good Morning Vietnam'.  I grew up watching 'Mork and Mindy':)

Edited by Weave

A little story to show just how nice a person Robin Williams was:

I live in Greensboro, North Carolina. In today's newspaper there was a story telling how Robin Williams helped to comfort a 13 year old girl in Greensboro  that was dying from a brain tumor. Her wish was to meet Robin Williams. The Make-A-Wish foundation contacted Robin Williams in Los Angeles where Robin was making a movie. Robin offered to fly the girl to Loa Angeles and visit with him. 

Unfortunately, the girl was too weak to travel. Robin, immediately upon hearing this chartered a plane and he flew across country to see the girl and visit. he spent a lot of time with her talking and watching football on TV, etc. Just being a friend to her. The girl got where at times she couldn't remember who people were due to the brain tumor. When that happened Robin played the Mrs. Doubtfire character and it brought her memory back temporarily. Two weeks after the visit from Robin the little girl died.

Yesterday the girl's father cried for over an hour when he heard of Robin's death.

What a great person Robin Williams was.

Edited by muggle not

Oh muggle, I sort of wish you hadn't shared that story. I welled up reading about the little girl, but to read about her father made the tears flow.

There are so many 'famous' deaths that make one think "Aw, that's a shame", but with Robin Williams it feels somehow darker. For many years I had heard what a lovely man he was, with everyone. Story after story told of his quiet generosity of spirit, his humanity and the enduring friendships he had.

Oh muggle, I sort of wish you hadn't shared that story. I welled up reading about the little girl, but to read about her father made the tears flow.

There are so many 'famous' deaths that make one think "Aw, that's a shame", but with Robin Williams it feels somehow darker. For many years I had heard what a lovely man he was, with everyone. Story after story told of his quiet generosity of spirit, his humanity and the enduring friendships he had.

I also kinda choked up when I read the newspaper article.

It's a terrible thing when someone is in such pain they feel suicide is the only option left to them.  It's perhaps a worse thing to walk into a room and find that loved one hanging by their belt.  It is all fine and good to memorialize a person and remember the good things about them, but I think we must remember the end as well. 

I saw and read an excellent article in the Washington Post newspaper yesterday on the problem of "suicide contagion and social media".  I'm linking the article here.  http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2014/08/12/suicide-contagion-and-social-media-the-dangers-of-sharing-genie-youre-free/

I sincerely hope he does rest in peace, and I wish the same for his family.  They'll have a harder time of it, I believe.

Edited by pontalba

I think Pontalba is absolutely correct.  There are victims of suicide beside the suicides themselves and it marks them for life.  My sincerest condolences go out to those who knew him and loved him sincerely and certainly wished better for him than this end.

It's a terrible thing when someone is in such pain they feel suicide is the only option left to them.  It's perhaps a worse thing to walk into a room and find that loved one hanging by their belt. 

I sincerely hope he does rest in peace, and I wish the same for his family.  They'll have a harder time of it, I believe.

I totally agree about this.  I can't imagine what his family is going through, with all those details swirling around in their imaginations- what were his last thoughts, how long did he hang there, etc.  The media is NOT helping at all, either.  The family just sent out a statement saying instead of leaving flower's at their doorstep, to please donate to St. Jude's instead.  Everything related to Robin Williams around here is a memorial.  Periodically, the local channels will just run a silent picture of him and his birth and death year...then return to normal programing.   :unsure:

I totally agree about this.  I can't imagine what his family is going through, with all those details swirling around in their imaginations- what were his last thoughts, how long did he hang there, etc.  The media is NOT helping at all, either.  The family just sent out a statement saying instead of leaving flower's at their doorstep, to please donate to St. Jude's instead.  Everything related to Robin Williams around here is a memorial.  Periodically, the local channels will just run a silent picture of him and his birth and death year...then return to normal programing.   :unsure:

I can imagine the TV stations are having a ball with it.  Thankfully we don't have TV in the house..  If you read the article I linked, you'll see how the media is actually glamorizing his death and how that sort of attention causes some vulnerable young people to think that suicide is an attractive alternative to consider.  Just awful.

Such a talent. I really loved him in Good Will Hunting, Dead Poet's Society and Aladdin but like a lot of other people he'll always be Mork to me .. he was just amazing. A truly lovely person too by all accounts. It is such a sad, sad time .. and absolutely tragic for his family. 

Edited by poppyshake