Sad books with great plots that make you feel the characters - Suggestions?

I'm looking for books that introduce you to characters that you can really love and hate. I want something with a horrible antagonist. I'd like the book to be depressing/horrific, with a good balance between character development, plot development (I'd like the plot to take unpedictable turns), and action.

I'd also prefer the book be in first person, so I can really get to know the main character(s). Do any of you have a book or series you love that fits that description, or at least comes close?

I don't think I can help you, but what genre would you like the book to be? Or does that not matter?

I'm thinking perhaps the A Song of Ice and Fire series as it fits the description but it's not in first person. It is however a medieval fantasy series, so I don't know if that would be your thing or not.

Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk is always a nice, disturbing horrific tale with twists and turns and is in the first person.  Have you read Mr. Mercedes, Stephen King's latest?  Might be what you are looking for. It is not in the first person though, but there are strong characters in the book and some twists and turns.  I can also recommend Horns by Joe Hill.

From Amazon on Mr. Mercedes:

In the frigid pre-dawn hours, in a distressed Midwestern city, hundreds of desperate unemployed folks are lined up for a spot at a job fair. Without warning, a lone driver plows through the crowd in a stolen Mercedes, running over the innocent, backing up, and charging again. Eight people are killed; fifteen are wounded. The killer escapes.

In another part of town, months later, a retired cop named Bill Hodges is still haunted by the unsolved crime. When he gets a crazed letter from someone who self-identifies as the “perk” and threatens an even more diabolical attack, Hodges wakes up from his depressed and vacant retirement, hell-bent on preventing another tragedy.

Brady Hartsfield lives with his alcoholic mother in the house where he was born. He loved the feel of death under the wheels of the Mercedes, and he wants that rush again. Only Bill Hodges, with a couple of highly unlikely allies, can apprehend the killer before he strikes again. And they have no time to lose, because Brady’s next mission, if it succeeds, will kill or maim thousands.

Mr. Mercedes is a war between good and evil, from the master of suspense whose insight into the mind of this obsessed, insane killer is chilling and unforgettable.

Edited by Anna Begins

I don't think I can help you, but what genre would you like the book to be? Or does that not matter?

I'm thinking perhaps the A Song of Ice and Fire series as it fits the description but it's not in first person. It is however a medieval fantasy series, so I don't know if that would be your thing or not.

I'm actually almost done with a Storm of Swords, so great suggestion. Third person would also be fine if you don't know any first person.

Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk is always a nice, disturbing horrific tale with twists and turns and is in the first person.  Have you read Mr. Mercedes, Stephen King's latest?  Might be what you are looking for. It is not in the first person though, but there are strong characters in the book and some twists and turns.  I can also recommend Horns by Joe Hill.

From Amazon on Mr. Mercedes:

In the frigid pre-dawn hours, in a distressed Midwestern city, hundreds of desperate unemployed folks are lined up for a spot at a job fair. Without warning, a lone driver plows through the crowd in a stolen Mercedes, running over the innocent, backing up, and charging again. Eight people are killed; fifteen are wounded. The killer escapes.

In another part of town, months later, a retired cop named Bill Hodges is still haunted by the unsolved crime. When he gets a crazed letter from someone who self-identifies as the “perk” and threatens an even more diabolical attack, Hodges wakes up from his depressed and vacant retirement, hell-bent on preventing another tragedy.

Brady Hartsfield lives with his alcoholic mother in the house where he was born. He loved the feel of death under the wheels of the Mercedes, and he wants that rush again. Only Bill Hodges, with a couple of highly unlikely allies, can apprehend the killer before he strikes again. And they have no time to lose, because Brady’s next mission, if it succeeds, will kill or maim thousands.

Mr. Mercedes is a war between good and evil, from the master of suspense whose insight into the mind of this obsessed, insane killer is chilling and unforgettable.

I actually downloaded Horns last night after seeing the trailer for the movie. I'll give it a go real soon. I'll also check out Mr. Mercedes, thanks!

As for Fight Club, I'm assuming the movie is based off it? If so, I'll probably have to skip that one since I already know the twist. Thank you for the suggestions!

I'm looking for books that introduce you to characters that you can really love and hate. I want something with a horrible antagonist. I'd like the book to be depressing/horrific, with a good balance between character development, plot development (I'd like the plot to take unpedictable turns), and action.

I'd also prefer the book be in first person, so I can really get to know the main character(s). Do any of you have a book or series you love that fits that description, or at least comes close?

A book I just recently read, Perfect Match by Jodi Picoult, doesn't have a horrible antagonist but it deals with horrible things and I found it quite interesting. The book is first person, if I remember right. Different parts of narrated by different characters. I think the book does a great job of making you love and hate some of the characters. 

Edited by BSchultz19

I actually downloaded Horns last night after seeing the trailer for the movie. I'll give it a go real soon. I'll also check out Mr. Mercedes, thanks!

As for Fight Club, I'm assuming the movie is based off it? If so, I'll probably have to skip that one since I already know the twist. Thank you for the suggestions!

I have been waiting for that movie!  Horns is one of my favorite books.  I am curious to see how Daniel Radcliff handles the role, Joe Hill has endorsed the project and says he is quite good.  I just looked it up- it comes out here on Halloween.

Yes, Fight Club was made into the movie, but the book is better :smile: And darker.

• 3 weeks later...

Depends how disturbing you want to get.  American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis has an entirely unsympathetic main character (in fact, almost all of the characters are very unsympathetic), but it's a brilliant read.  Disturbing though (MUCH more so than the film).

If you're after a classic, I'd always recommend The Great Gatsby.  It's sad, and it makes you feel the characters.