Bookmark or dog-eared page?

Angury

Totally in sympathy with Kars Orlong. The very thought of marking a place by dog-earing (is this a verb??) a page makes me cringe, and if any child in my class dare keep their place in their book by putting it face down on the table....... well, they know me well enough, so they don't!

I've got a fairly large collection of bookmarks, but rail tickets are amongst the best in practice.

We have kazillions of bookmarks around here, a large portion from the monthly local library sales.  But whenever we travel we always manage to obtain some from the visited cities bookstores or sales. 

And I still find my husband placing a bit of tissue or scrap of envelope   in to mark his place!  :doh:  :giggle2:

NO Dog Eared pages in this house. :angry:  That hurts!  :)

I love this quote!

Me too! :D 

I love Tyrion's whole character. In the show, he isn't as ugly or monster-ish as he's supposed to be but I think Dinklage does a great job of portraying him. He's by far my favorite character. 

The one I'm using currently is a Tyrion Lannister quote from A Game of Thrones 

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge"

Good one! 

The only dog ears that will ever be welcomed in my apartment are the ears of my dog. :)

Seeing people dog-ear books makes my gut clench in horror! Same with seeing books laid face down and open to keep a page.

I will use any little piece of paper to hand in a pinch, but I have an array of bookmarks - leather, card, metal, plain, decorative, and loads of promotional ones that I received with books I've been sent to review (I like to keep those as little mementos). I also have a little tin of page darts, which are great for people who find their bookmarks slip out, as they slide directly onto the page and point to where you left off! They are the most awesome invention and I wouldn't be without them. They're also great for marking multiple pages in reference books, although I tend to use post-its for that as I can also annotate directly where on the page I need to put the info and I can colour code everything (I'm anal that way).

I rarely lend my books to others, but if I do, it is NEVER to someone who dog-ears!

I've never turned down the corner of a book. I don't think I could!

I have a bookmark I got from the library, with the opening times printed on it. Otherwise I'll use a train ticket, receipt, leaflet, envelope, bit of wool ... endless list. As long as it isn't something that will mark the pages. 

• 6 months later...

I use bookmarks - Limerick, a local bookstore, has really nice ones so I keep using those. If I can't find one right away, I'll use whatever's available.

I wouldn't feel right dog-earing pages and it also seems complicated when you want to re-read.

• 4 months later...

I have also heard that "dog-earring" the pages ruins them. I always have something to mark my page, whether it be a proper bookmark or a torn off piece of paper. I never dog-ear the pages because I also feel like they never get totally back to flat and make the book not fully close when you are done reading it.

I have also heard that "dog-earring" the pages ruins them. I always have something to mark my page, whether it be a proper bookmark or a torn off piece of paper. I never dog-ear the pages because I also feel like they never get totally back to flat and make the book not fully close when you are done reading it.

Although, I find that if you put the books back on the bookshelf, the pressure from the other books around it will soon flatten out the pages again, and the next time you take it off the shelf in a few years time, it'd be fine. :)

I like my books to still look like new after I´ve read them, so no dog-earring here.

I usually use postcards as bookmarks, as the size suits me better.

Little bookmarks or train tickets tend to vanish in the book and I can´t find it (and where I stopped reading) again :blush2:

I don't dog-ear either.  It makes me cringe to see someone do that.

I'm also another one that will use any scrap of paper that comes to hand.  And it's quite interesting to use train tickets cos it means when you take the book off your shelf, you can see the date when you last read it!  :D

I have a feeling there are many people on this thread who would despise me if they saw the state of my books! :P

For those of you who use bookmarks - don't you find that they keep falling out? I have bought the zipper bookmark shown in the OP, but it is so frustrating when I open a novel and cannot find the page I left at as the bookmark has already fallen out! And even when the bookmark somehow manages to snuggle safely within the pages, I cannot remember which page exactly I left off at, never mind the sentence or paragraph!

Dog-earing pages is the only way forward I feel! :P

Magnetic ones are very good, as they don't fall out so easily.

I also have a little tin of page darts, which are great for people who find their bookmarks slip out, as they slide directly onto the page and point to where you left off! They are the most awesome invention and I wouldn't be without them. They're also great for marking multiple pages in reference books, although I tend to use post-its for that as I can also annotate directly where on the page I need to put the info and I can colour code everything (I'm anal that way).

I do think these two ideas are fantastic though.

Edited by Angury

One thing I sometimes do is use a paper clip with the bookmark.  That stops it falling out.  I mostly do this with things like my study books, as I'm often flipping back and forth in them.  I don't tend to carry my fiction reads from place to place, they stay on my bed, so the bookmarks don't usually fall out of those.  But sometimes they do, and I agree its frustrating.