Bookmark or dog-eared page?

Angury

Do you guys use a bookmark when you are reading or fold the corner of the page? What bookmark do you use if you do use one?

I have always folded the corners of my pages when I'm reading - I used to hate using bookmarks because the one I used always kept falling out. I know a lot of people who can't stand the sight of pages being dog-eared; they claim it ruins the book. I like to think it means the book is loved. :P I have so many books from my childhood with pages creased from all the folding, and I love it. It shows how much they've been used and read.

I've started borrowing more and more books from the library now though, and I would never ruin someone elses book. So I've started searching for bookmarks. I've had a lot of fun looking at some very creative bookmarks, but I've set my sights on this:

zipper-bookmark.jpg

A zipper bookmark!

Anyway, I'm curious how everyone here marks their pages. Are you obsessed with keeping everything pristine and new? Or do you always spill tea and coffee over your pages like I do? :P

I use anything I have to hand - usually an old train ticket, a coffee shop loyalty card, a business card.  It's often something hanging around in my purse, but just a piece of cardboard really.  I love proper bookmarks, but I tend to lose them too often as I find they fall out of books, but something slim and made of paper/cardboard is more likely to stay put - not sure if it's the similarity to the paper pages that causes an attraction, or if it's just because they tend to sandwich closer together than a thicker bookmark, but they're more reliable, and don't cost anything. :D

I used to turn the corner of the page when I was little, but I haven't done it for years.  I'm not bothered by it, and it wouldn't worry me if someone borrowed my book and did it, but I would never do it to someone else's book, and I just find a piece of cardboard has become my preferred method.

I always use a bookmark! I can't stand dogeared pages :blush2:. I do crack my own books' spines though. I have a nice collection of various bookmarks and use certain bookmarks for certain books or certain types of books. I collected a lot of them from the library in my childhood town, they had new ones every few weeks or such. I've also bought some and a few were gifts.

That's a nice idea, having different bookmarks for different types of books.

I've started buying hardback books recently and I feel a bit guilty folding their pages because they appear more durable and I feel like I'm ruining them. I've ordered that zipper bookmark, I really need to get into a habit of using bookmarks.

I do hope it doesn't keep falling out though - maybe I'll have to resort to old train tickets as well (of which I have plenty).

Edited by Angury

The good thing with using train tickets etc., is that it doesn't matter if you lose them! A while back, I bought some gorgeous wooden bookmarks which had animals symbols carved in them, but do you think I can find them now? Not a chance! £3.99 per bookmark wasted. Now if I lose a used train ticket - so what? Plenty more rubbish in my purse to be recycled as a bookmark, and costs me nothing. :lol:

Personally, I'm more interested in the words on the pages than the physical book.  Most of my books go to the charity shop after I've read them, so cracking spines, turning page corners and spilling drinks on them really doesn't bother me.  I take care with other peoples books and library books, as I don't own them, but for my own, I'm not precious about them.

Personally, I'm more interested in the words on the pages than the physical book.  Most of my books go to the charity shop after I've read them, so cracking spines, turning page corners and spilling drinks on them really doesn't bother me.  I take care with other peoples books and library books, as I don't own them, but for my own, I'm not precious about them.

Ah, I've turned into a bit of a book collector now - I guess that's why I've started buying hardbacks. I don't usually reread books but I love seeing them sitting on the shelves. It gives the room a lovely atmosphere I find.. unless you're living in student accommodation the size of a cardboard box.

It's also why I've started buying collections of works by certain authors. It's convenient to have all of their works in one big book, but it's also nice to see such collections sitting on a shelf to be admired.

Edited by Angury

.. unless you're living in student accommodation the size of a cardboard box.

And there's the problem. :D  We live in a small house, but it's not that tiny, however, we have full bookshelves in EVERY room in the house, and my OH doesn't give away his books, and we both want to keep all our books from childhood.  There's no room to add any more shelves, and no space left on the shelves we have.  I've mostly switched to ebooks as well now, and I don't often get the chance to visit a bookshop, so I don't accumulate many tree books now, and bookmarks are only needed occasionally. :lol:  For me, the convenience is having my book collection on my Kindle, which fits conveniently into my bag, and takes up far less space ;)

Angury

I use bookmarks if it's a hardback or book in nice shape. If its a small paperback of my own I usually fold down the corner .

Library books I always use bookmarks. I've recently been looking for old postcards and use them for bookmarks.

In some of the bookstores here they have bookmarks that clip onto the page which might stay in your book better .

I love that zipper bookmark. I usually read Kindle books so no need for bookmarks. But when I do read paperbooks, then I either use just a spare bit of paper, or a metal bookmark that I have. The problem I have is that I tend to mark each line as I'm reading with the bookmark, but the metal bookmark is a bit too heavy to do that. I try to get out of the habit, but I still do it every now and then. :doh:

A clip-on bookmark sounds best me thinks.

I have also converted to ebooks as I travel a lot. It's only recently I've started buying books again - I generally buy books which are collections of an authors work, poetry (I don't like reading poetry on my kindle) or non fiction. Also the cover has to look nice! :P

I also find there's something sophisticated about using a bookmark.

I also use a piece of paper to follow each line: glad I'm not the only one. I find that my eyes are automatically drawn towards the sentences below when I'm reading, especially if the story is action-paced and there's a lot going on. Using some paper to follow each line helps me to take my time and weigh each sentence carefully - another reason for me to buy a bookmark. :D

Do you guys use a bookmark when you are reading or fold the corner of the page? What bookmark do you use if you do use one?

I have always folded the corners of my pages when I'm reading - I used to hate using bookmarks because the one I used always kept falling out. I know a lot of people who can't stand the sight of pages being dog-eared; they claim it ruins the book. I like to think it means the book is loved. :P I have so many books from my childhood with pages creased from all the folding, and I love it. It shows how much they've been used and read.

I've started borrowing more and more books from the library now though, and I would never ruin someone elses book. So I've started searching for bookmarks. I've had a lot of fun looking at some very creative bookmarks, but I've set my sights on this:

zipper-bookmark.jpg

A zipper bookmark!

Anyway, I'm curious how everyone here marks their pages. Are you obsessed with keeping everything pristine and new? Or do you always spill tea and coffee over your pages like I do? :P

This book mark looks fab! Reading that you fold down the corners of books made me cringe. I would never do this to a book :negative: I mostly use a bookmark or if that isn't to hand a receipt or piece of paper.

I do use bookmarks, but they are so easy to lose! I find them all over the house. I have a little organiser box and I've started using one of the drawers in it just for bookmarks, so whenever I find one around the house it goes in the drawer, then I at least know where I can find one of them :D

For books I'm using for uni, since I'm often reading quite a few at once, I use post-it notes. I keep loads of them by my desk so they're easy to find, and they actually stick to the page so they definitely won't fall out!

Ohhh- I love bookmarks.  But I never used them when I read books.  I always used what was handy too- I especially liked old concert tickets :smile: I never turned the page corner!  I also used to use this weighted pad thing that rested along the bottom pages as you read, to hold the book open on a table.

I use dog eared pages to mark favorite quotes that I notice while reading the book, and bookmarks to hold my place in the book. 

I have used so many things for bookmarks. Baseball cards, notecards, pieces of paper, homemade ones with quotes on them, and one of my favorites is a tag from a Captain America shirt that says Marvel and has all the characters. It's only a tag but it looks super cool so I use it as a bookmark.  :cool: 

homemade ones with quotes on them

Oh my gosh- you just reminded me!  I used to do that all the time in High School!  I also like the idea dog-eared pages for favorite quotes and then a marker for the place.

I'm ashamed to say that I was once guilty of book abuse. *scuffs ground with toe* Never books I had borrowed. Just neglected my own lovelies.

Now I use a mixture of whatever is at hand, and Post-It flags for marking quotes, interesting passages, references etc

I use bookmarks - Book Depository always stick several in with their deliveries and I've kept them all, I think.  Lots of duplicates, but there's one with a diagram of the solar system on it of which they only ever sent me one copy - that one gets used exclusively when I'm reading sf :giggle2:  

I've never dog-eared pages of my books, or even cracked the spines <<shudder>>  My books generally look like new, even if I've read them several times.  I have a fit if a cover gets dinged :blush2:  :giggle2:

I used to fold the corners, but not for a long time.  I now use a bookmark.  I collect postcards and bookmarks, so usually use one of those.  Sometimes a scrap of paper if my collection isn't handy.  For my study books, where the bookmarks are always falling out, I put a paper clip on the postcard to keep it in.  

I always use a bookmark - and I have a tendency to buy a bookmark if I visist anywhere, so I have lots! Magnetic ones are very good, as they don't fall out so easily.

homemade ones with quotes on them

I have plans on making those too. I recently bought a pack of empty cards with envelopes made for sending invitations or RSVPs. They have nice edges and are thicker than ordinary paper. So I am next going to decide what quotes I want. I will pick out some from my favorite novels. 

I use bookmarks - Book Depository always stick several in with their deliveries and I've kept them all, I think.  Lots of duplicates, but there's one with a diagram of the solar system on it of which they only ever sent me one copy - that one gets used exclusively when I'm reading sf :giggle2:  

I've never dog-eared pages of my books, or even cracked the spines <<shudder>>  My books generally look like new, even if I've read them several times.  I have a fit if a cover gets dinged :blush2:  :giggle2:

I'm exactly the same. I can't even bring myself to dog-ear library books! :giggle2:

I have plans on making those too. I recently bought a pack of empty cards with envelopes made for sending invitations or RSVPs. They have nice edges and are thicker than ordinary paper. So I am next going to decide what quotes I want. I will pick out some from my favorite novels. 

The one I'm using currently is a Tyrion Lannister quote from A Game of Thrones 

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge"