Behind you, a three-headed monkey!

Tenth Doctor

So, presentations... I always thought they're a very nice way to start in a forum, so here I am!

My name is Nicolò, I'm 21 years old, I'm a student in Philosophy and... and I love to read. That was unexpected, uh?  :D

I read almost everything, from classic literature books to fantasy or sci-fi. 
Some of my favourite authors are Vergil, Poe, Lovecraft, Dostoevskij, Doyle, Shelley (both Mr. and Mrs.), Keats, Byron, Shakespeare, C. S. Lewis, Lewis Carrol, Terry Brooks, Baudelaire, John Green, Italo Calvino, Matheson...

Homewever, if I had to pick just ONE author, it would be J. R. R. Tolkien.
I absolutely love every one of his works. I got all of them, and even some essays 
written about Tolkien and/or his works.
Not to mention, I'm a member of the Italian Tolkien Society :D

I've got many other interests, as videogames, comic books, manga and anime, music, movies, tv series (as you can guess by my nick :smile:  )

Okay, that lasted way too much. I hope I haven't bothered you!

One last thing: I'm from Italy, so I already beg pardon if I made some mistakes here and there  :P

See you around!

Welcome here :)!

I quite liked The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien and have The Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Silmarillion on my TBR (to-be-read). I also own a lot of Terry Brooks books but I haven't read them yet. I read some of the Chronicles of Narnia books (in Dutch) when I was a child and loved them. I recently bought an English omnibus so I look forward to see what I think of them as an adult. I loved The Fault in Our Stars by John Green and have a couple of other books by him on my TBR (can you sense a theme here..). Which one is your favourite? I also have some of the classics authors on my TBR, that you mentioned, however I don't read classics all that often.

Hello Nicolò and welcome to the forum! :) 

Thank you! :smile:

Hi and welcome :smile:

Interesting title, it isn't a reference to 'The Secret of Monkey Island' is it?

Yes it is, good job in getting that  :D

Hello, Nicolò and welcome to the forum. :)

I'm also a newbie here. You'll find everyone lovely...certainly far friendlier than the Cybermen.

Or the Daleks, for that matter... at leat I hope  :P

Welcome here :)!

I quite liked The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien and have The Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Silmarillion on my TBR (to-be-read). I also own a lot of Terry Brooks books but I haven't read them yet. I read some of the Chronicles of Narnia books (in Dutch) when I was a child and loved them. I recently bought an English omnibus so I look forward to see what I think of them as an adult. I loved The Fault in Our Stars by John Green and have a couple of other books by him on my TBR (can you sense a theme here..). Which one is your favourite? I also have some of the classics authors on my TBR, that you mentioned, however I don't read classics all that often.

I read only Looking for Alaska and The Fault in Our Stars so far, but they were enough to lead John into my favourite authors list  :P

Between the two, TFIOS is absolutely better for every point of view. Looking for Alaska is good, but it still has some minor flaws here and there, which is obvious since it was his first novel!

So, presentations... I always thought they're a very nice way to start in a forum, so here I am!

My name is Nicolò, I'm 21 years old, I'm a student in Philosophy and... and I love to read. That was unexpected, uh?  :D

I read almost everything, from classic literature books to fantasy or sci-fi. 

Some of my favourite authors are Vergil, Poe, Lovecraft, Dostoevskij, Doyle, Shelley (both Mr. and Mrs.), Keats, Byron, Shakespeare, C. S. Lewis, Lewis Carrol, Terry Brooks, Baudelaire, John Green, Italo Calvino, Matheson...

Homewever, if I had to pick just ONE author, it would be J. R. R. Tolkien.

I absolutely love every one of his works. I got all of them, and even some essays written about Tolkien and/or his works.

Not to mention, I'm a member of the Italian Tolkien Society :D

Hi, Welcome!  Sounds like you like a lot of classic- classics with Poe, Lovecraft, etc.  I like Dostoyevsky too, read Crime and Punishment and The Idiot last year.

I just finished The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand which was all philosophy, actually.  Fiction, with lots of philosophy lol  And a tad of a headache. 

I always get Looking for Alaska recommended to me, so I should put  it on my short list. 

Hope to see you around the Forum!  And your English is fine, don't worry :smile:   What are you reading now?

Edited by Anna Begins

It the Angels you have to watch out for . . .

You've got a point here...

(Looking at your Capaldi image makes me more eager for the new season... even more than I usually am :D )

Hi, Welcome!  Sounds like you like a lot of classic- classics with Poe, Lovecraft, etc.  I like Dostoyevsky too, read Crime and Punishment and The Idiot last year.

I just finished The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand which was all philosophy, actually.  Fiction, with lots of philosophy lol  And a tad of a headache. 

I always get Looking for Alaska recommended to me, so I should put  it on my short list. 

Hope to see you around the Forum!  And your English is fine, don't worry :smile:   What are you reading now?

I'm currently reading To kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee! I should be able finish it today :smile:

Tenth Doctor, do you have any favourite philosophers or favourite subjects within philosophy? I only know the more famous ones I think.. most of my knowledge comes from reading Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder (in Dutch: De Wereld van Sofie) which taught me a lot about philosophy.

Tenth Doctor, do you have any favourite philosophers or favourite subjects within philosophy? I only know the more famous ones I think.. most of my knowledge comes from reading Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder (in Dutch: De Wereld van Sofie) which taught me a lot about philosophy.

My favourite philosophical current is existentialism, which explores the (abescence of) meaning of life; important authors in this current are Kierkegaard (I hate him, but i have to admit it's thanks to him this current started), Sartre, Camus, and many others. It became more and more prominent during the XX century.

Homewever, my favourite authors are not from this current: I love the works of Plato, Aristotle (they're the very basic of philosophy), Nietzsche, Freud, Hume, and many others.

Then, there's modern philosophy, many of my teachers are estabilished philosophers, and some of the most important among the ones living in Italy.

If you want to try reading philosophy by yourself, I suggest starting from two famous names: Plato and Freud.

Plato has a complex philosophical system, but it's accessible by everyone, as it's writing is plain and simple (although you will find it heavy if you're not familiar with philosophy). 

Freud invented pshychoanalisis, but his works cover many philosophical issues, and it's very interesting even for who doesn't know anything about philosophy or pshychology.

His most important work his "Interpretation of dreams": it's also one of the longest and most complex, but it's totally worth it. Give it a try if you want :D

Welcome Nicolo. I hope you have fun here.

Thank you :smile:

My favourite philosophical current is existentialism, which explores the (abescence of) meaning of life; important authors in this current are Kierkegaard (I hate him, but i have to admit it's thanks to him this current started), Sartre, Camus, and many others. It became more and more prominent during the XX century.

Homewever, my favourite authors are not from this current: I love the works of Plato, Aristotle (they're the very basic of philosophy), Nietzsche, Freud, Hume, and many others.

Then, there's modern philosophy, many of my teachers are estabilished philosophers, and some of the most important among the ones living in Italy.

If you want to try reading philosophy by yourself, I suggest starting from two famous names: Plato and Freud.

Plato has a complex philosophical system, but it's accessible by everyone, as it's writing is plain and simple (although you will find it heavy if you're not familiar with philosophy). 

Freud invented pshychoanalisis, but his works cover many philosophical issues, and it's very interesting even for who doesn't know anything about philosophy or pshychology.

His most important work his "Interpretation of dreams": it's also one of the longest and most complex, but it's totally worth it. Give it a try if you want :D

Thanks :)! That's all very interesting, though I don't know all of the names I recognise some. I actually have two books by Plato on my shelves, Symposium and the Death of Socrates and Republic. I always found his ideas quite interesting when I read about them in other books.