What's up in August? - 2014

Athena

I think you're amazing Anna to even contemplate going to school today. You're probably still in shock. Earthquakes are very frightening, I've been through several, although never as destructive, as what you've just experienced. The pictures we saw on the news were awful, so much damage. I hope you can get back to a reasonable state of normal again quickly and the aftershocks aren't too distressing. Thinking of you :empathy: 

I think that is exactly right- we are all in shock.  You can't go anywhere without someone wanting to share all about it.  I told Athena, it's like someone broke into your home and stole/ broke everything, accept it's the Earth and you can't even defend or prepare yourself.  I'm surprised it's making such news!  I guess "The South Napa Earthquake" as they call it, gets attention!  Besides, what news photographer can't get enough of all that spilled wine??  Thanks for the thoughts, I appreciate it, I really do.  It's horrible.

Edit: everyone went to post at Twitter, I came here :smile:

Edited by Anna Begins

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry you have been having such a rough time lately Kat, and glad that you are alright after that earthquake Anna  - possessions can always be replaced, but your lives can't be. 

Coran and I got back from our honeymoon this afternoon after a lovely couple of days. The wedding on Friday was beautiful, but very emotional - all the family were there and many of our friends. It was the first time I had seen my brother for about 4 years, and the first time I had met his second wife. It was very emotional for both of us after 17 years together - we could hardly get the words out, but we got there ! It had been cloudy in the morning, but once the ceremony was over the sun came out just as we walked out into the garden, which was lovely.

Glastonbury was as beautiful as ever - we stayed at Little St Michaels, which is the Retreat House attached to the Chalice Well Gardens. We have been members for years and have stayed there many times. There was a therapy and healing weekend going on over the Bank Holiday which was a bonus with various 1/2 hour treatments available for £10. I had some sound healing and an aromatherapy massage while Coran had some reflexology.

We spent a lot of time in the gardens of course, but also went out into the town to eat and to meditate in the Goddess Temple. I had been hoping to visit the White Spring, but sadly it was closed each time we ventured round - I have never been lucky enough to visit when it's open. I did though climb up the Tor, which was windy and exhilarating.

Driving back in the rain took longer than it should have done with some scary idiots out there speeding without lights, but we made it back in one piece. I guess then it's back to work and normality (whatever that is) tomorrow.

I'm glad you had a great time :)!

So far, I've estimated I've lost about $5,000 worth of jewelry and 1/3 of all my dishes (which cost me all last year to save up for).  There was 1 fatality, 200 injured and 33 buildings marked uninhabitable in our city.  We snuck downtown and had a look around.  All streets are roped off with broken windows and bricks everywhere.  The inside of lots of buildings you can see right into them.

I am just exhausted.  All district schools are closed til further notice (not mine but daughters).  I have to leave for school In 10 minutes and I can hardly type a sentence.  I'm just so wiped out- physically ad emotionally.  And we get to work in the computer lab- god I hope I don't have tp "work in peer groups" today. :mellow: My house is still in shambles with no electricity and my dog is living in my SUV at my mom's house (she has animals he wants to eat).  Hopefully by tomorrow, everything will be somewhat back to normal at my house.  Or as close as we can get it.

Wow.. that's a lot of losses :(! I'm so, so sorry :empathy:.

Today my stomach hurts, I'm not sure if it's a virus or bad food. So I'm going to try and take things a bit slow.

I'm sorry to hear that you have been so badly affected Anna.  Although it's a relief to hear that the cost to life has been so minimal.  By the sounds of it, it could easily have been much, much more.  I can't even imagine how terrified you all must have been. :hug:

Congratulations to you and Coran, Talisman!  Your honeymoon sounded like the perfect retreat.  I wish you both many happy years together :)

We were all woken up by a strong series of aftershocks this morning at 5:33am.  3.9 was the strongest, followed by a 2.7 3 minutes later and then a 2.7 2 minutes after that.  Rockin' and Rollin'... :unsure:

Glastonbury was as beautiful as ever - we stayed at Little St Michaels, which is the Retreat House attached to the Chalice Well Gardens. We have been members for years and have stayed there many times. There was a therapy and healing weekend going on over the Bank Holiday which was a bonus with various 1/2 hour treatments available for £10. I had some sound healing and an aromatherapy massage while Coran had some reflexology.

We spent a lot of time in the gardens of course, but also went out into the town to eat and to meditate in the Goddess Temple. I had been hoping to visit the White Spring, but sadly it was closed each time we ventured round - I have never been lucky enough to visit when it's open. I did though climb up the Tor, which was windy and exhilarating.

That sounds beautiful!  I am so glad you both had such a wonderful day- you totally deserve it.  Everything sounds so peaceful and relaxed.  Here is to a lifetime of nothing but happiness and love.  I'm glad you were able to reconnect with your brother too.  :)

Edited by Anna Begins

I heard about the earthquake and contacted my good friend who lives in the Bay Area. Imagine my surprise when she told me she slept through it! She didn't know ANYTHING about it til I contacted her!

Just starting to get back online after what seems like WEEKS of transition. I did get to witness my seven grandbaby (little girl) being born, via Skype. I couldn't actually be there as I was home with her four siblings (who also got to witness the birth). Tomorrow I plan to pack the kids up and drive about 1.5 hours to visit their sister. Should be interesting.

Glad your safe Anna!

I'm sorry that I can't respond to everything as I haven't gone past the latest page. It scares me to think of all the news that's been made since my last visit,

Thank you for the good wishes everyone. It is our first week anniversary today, and we haven't argued yet, so far so good. :D

Coran is downloading the pictures as I write, so I will hopefully be able to post some on Facebook over the weekend. I have never been able to get it work on here. :wacko:  

It is shaping up to be an interesting year then for me. A few days ago my favourite Icelandic airline emailed me to let me know they had a sale, and being unable to resist a bargain (and knowing I also have 2 more weeks annual leave to use up before the end of March) I have booked another trip for the beginning of March next year, The Northern Lights season has already begun with some good sightings already. This time I will do it properly - instead of going on a big bus with 50 other people, I intend to book one of the Super Jeep Tours which take about 4 people out into the middle of nowhere, which is an altogether much better way of travelling. A posh lunch at the Blue Lagoon might be in order too with of course a crate of Icelandic chocolate and beer to bring home. :giggle2:  

In the meantime of course, it looks like another Icelandic volcano has started to erupt - it has been threatening for about a month now, and having looked at the live webcam it is pretty spectacular. Of course it is far from most of the tourist areas, but air traffic has been grounded at less than 18000 feet as a precaution. l knew I should have booked for next week rather than next March !

Edited by Talisman

It is shaping up to be an interesting year then for me. A few days ago my favourite Icelandic airline emailed me to let me know they had a sale, and being unable to resist a bargain (and knowing I also have 2 more weeks annual leave to use up before the end of March) I have booked another trip for the beginning of March next year, The Northern Lights season has already begun with some good sightings already.

In the meantime of course, it looks like another Icelandic volcano has started to erupt - it has been threatening for about a month now, and having looked at the live webcam it is pretty spectacular.

I heard about that volcano and thought of you and your trip!  My mom's life dream is to see the Northern Lights- have you seen them before?

I heard about that volcano and thought of you and your trip!  My mom's life dream is to see the Northern Lights- have you seen them before?

I was lucky enough to see them last October - also in Iceland. They weren't the brightest or the best of last season, but they went on for several hours and were still pretty spectacular with all the colours.

I wish you lots of fun on your trip, Talisman :)!

Today we're celebrating my brother's birthday so there'll be family here later. It'll be tiring but also fun to see them and show some of them the bakery. I plan to spend most of my time in the bakery apart from most of the people.

Next week is the book fair in Utrecht so we will be going there. It'll be the first trip going away a bit further since a while (minus the drive to the UK). I'm looking forward to it (and hopefully some great books).

We are going food shopping to Sainsbury's in a while, after Coran has finished downloading the wedding photos. Then we are meeting our friend Sarah this afternoon who is guiding the blessing ceremony on 20th September, to go through her plans and generally catch up.

I hope you have fun :).

The past few weeks we've been having a squirrel in our garden and yesterday I managed to film it:

I'm having fun with my family today but am also quite tired from it. So in between seeing the visitors I'm trying to take it slow and just browse a little and read a bit.