What's up in August? - 2014

Athena

It's August already! Can you believe it?!

We have completed most things related to the move, we've worked very hard recently. I look forward to spend some time resting and relaxing now, enjoying our home. I'm going to work on my book shelves, then sit down and read for the read-a-thon. Our gas cooker should hopefully arrive today (that's what they said at least), so once it's installed we can cook here! Very exciting.

Next week we'll be going to the city council to present my boyfriend's birth certificate. It needed a stamp we didn't have before. Once it's processed my boyfriend will be officially registered and we can make him a bank account etc.

Yesterday evening my boyfriend and I had a nice dinner with my brother and his girlfriend, who had just returned from their holidays in Poland. It was great to see them again and chat, and to show them the bakery. The food was also very nice.

What's up in August for you?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay, it's my birthday in August! I don't celebrate birthdays anyway but I guess it's worth mentioning when it's your 21st. :P Although it's your 18th birthday which is more significant here in the UK.

Anyway, I've been working in a lab over summer so will be continuing with that. I am also writing two essays at the moment: one on Paedophilia and another on Suicide Prevention in India compared to the UK. So I will probably continue to work on those. Oh yes, and I need to get back to my French language learning - that's been on a bit of a break the past few weeks.

I go back to Uni on the first of September so I really want to enjoy this month. I might take a trip to the UK city Bath sometime, I've heard some wonderful things about it. Here's a picture for those of you who haven't heard of it:

Centre.jpg

Yay, it's my birthday in August! I don't celebrate birthdays anyway but I guess it's worth mentioning when it's your 21st. :P Although it's your 18th birthday which is more significant here in the UK.

Anyway, I've been working in a lab over summer so will be continuing with that. I am also writing two essays at the moment: one on Paedophilia and another on Suicide Prevention in India compared to the UK. So I will probably continue to work on those. Oh yes, and I need to get back to my French language learning - that's been on a bit of a break the past few weeks.

I go back to Uni on the first of September so I really want to enjoy this month. I might take a trip to the UK city Bath sometime, I've heard some wonderful things about it. Here's a picture for those of you who haven't heard of it:

I hope you have a great birthday :)!

Good luck with your essays, they both sound like difficult subjects.

I've been to Bath, it's quite beautiful. I would recommend it. We visited the Roman baths which I enjoyed and walked around in the town. We also wanted to go into a museum but it was closed. I hope you have some great holidays and good luck with uni in September :).

Angury, have a nice birthday!! I wrote an article on paedophilia in Asian countries last year. It was really difficult to do, I had to read really nasty stuff and it was so upsetting. But I had a mention for that article, from the japanese ambassy in Rome. I just wish it wasn't for a subject that disgusting.

Athena, my dear.. so the moving is done!! Now, take your time and relax a little, ok??

Well, yesterday I had a great night. I don't know if you know :) but every september there's a huge book fest in Mantua, Italy.. I posted something about it last year. There are a lot of authors who come here to talk about their books and projects. This year the fest suggested a new idea: every book club of the area should do an event to promote the fest and introduce to an audience some of the authors who will come to Mantua. My book club said YES!!! so we did this wonderful lecture yesterday evening. Festival Letteratura (the book fest) gave us a list of authors last month, we chose some of them and we were given the books to read. My book club is rather big, there are 38 people in it now, but only 9 of us decided to introduce some of the authors. I chose Colm Toìbin and Collum McCann (and two others italian writers you haven't heard of). The event was on a wonderful boat on the river Po, at twilight. The light fading slowly, the gentle move of the water, the wonderful red wine (people say it's terrific, but I can't drink, so..), tons of books everywhere.. it was brilliant!! I wish you were all there with me.. with a good translator by your side :D

Angury, have a nice birthday!! I wrote an article on paedophilia in Asian countries last year. It was really difficult to do, I had to read really nasty stuff and it was so upsetting. But I had a mention for that article, from the japanese ambassy in Rome. I just wish it wasn't for a subject that disgusting.

Athena, my dear.. so the moving is done!! Now, take your time and relax a little, ok??

Well, yesterday I had a great night. I don't know if you know :) but every september there's a huge book fest in Mantua, Italy.. I posted something about it last year. There are a lot of authors who come here to talk about their books and projects. This year the fest suggested a new idea: every book club of the area should do an event to promote the fest and introduce to an audience some of the authors who will come to Mantua. My book club said YES!!! so we did this wonderful lecture yesterday evening. Festival Letteratura (the book fest) gave us a list of authors last month, we chose some of them and we were given the books to read. My book club is rather big, there are 38 people in it now, but only 9 of us decided to introduce some of the authors. I chose Colm Toìbin and Collum McCann (and two others italian writers you haven't heard of). The event was on a wonderful boat on the river Po, at twilight. The light fading slowly, the gentle move of the water, the wonderful red wine (people say it's terrific, but I can't drink, so..), tons of books everywhere.. it was brilliant!! I wish you were all there with me.. with a good translator by your side :D

That all sounds wonderful!  38 members- wow!  And Congratulations on such an achievement.  I'm sure the material was terrible.

I hope you have a great birthday :)!

Good luck with your essays, they both sound like difficult subjects.

I've been to Bath, it's quite beautiful. I would recommend it. We visited the Roman baths which I enjoyed and walked around in the town. We also wanted to go into a museum but it was closed. I hope you have some great holidays and good luck with uni in September :).

Thanks very much - I've heard some lovely things about Bath. It's great to hear you were able to visit the city while you were in the UK. Did you visit Wales by any chance (it's where I go to university)? ;)

How interesting - how come you chose that particular topic (or did you have a say in what to write about)? What were your conclusions from your essay? I'm actually enjoying the research for my essay at the moment - it makes you realise that it's a clinical disorder which requires treatment rather than prevention.

What you just described sounds beautiful. I've wanted to go to Italy for a long time, I've just always been worried about the language barrier.

Also, do you mind me asking how you got involved with your Book Club? I'd love to join one, I'm just not sure how to go about it. There is one offered in my university, but it's mainly full of English Literature students and I think I'd feel a bit out of my depth!

Edited by Angury

Thanks Ele :). That sounds like a great night! I'm so glad you had fun :).

Thanks very much - I've heard some lovely things about Bath. It's great to hear you were able to visit the city while you were in the UK. Did you visit Wales by any chance (it's where I go to university)? ;)

I have been in Wales but not in the past 10 years. I was on holidays in Ireland with my ex and we took the ferry over to Holyhead and then the train to Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. My ex wanted to see this place. I enjoyed my time in Wales, it was quite nice.

My grandfather has just been released from the hospital yesterday. He had surgery and now it's waiting to see if it has helped. There were problems with his bladder/prostate, I don't remember the exact details. So I hope it's helped :(. My grandfather is really tired from it all and is short of breath. He's also lost a lot of blood and has anemia (is that the correct word?). At the moment he is so exhausted he can't even dress himself so my grandmother is having to do everything. She has high blood pressure (possibly related to my grandfather's problems of late but we're not sure) and is very tired herself. So I hope they'll both be okay.

Things are going nicely here in the bakery. The gas cooker should come today. Then we can really cook our first meal (other than the gourmet/raclette). In the next two weeks we'll be cooking meals and seeing what kind of supplies and pans and such we use a lot (borrowing them from my parents), then buy those things. Things we don't often use we can easily borrow from them but something I use a lot I want to have myself.

I hope to be resting in the next few days and relaxing. After doing lots of hard work the past two weeks I'm quite tired.

Edited by Athena

Athena: I'm pleased that you have settled in enough to now be able to find some relaxation time. I wish you and your partner every happiness in your new home, and you be blessed with many wonderful memories.

Angury: Happy August Birthday to you! Not easy topics for your essays...good luck on your progress. Bath from all I have heard is a grand place to visit, and a wonderful place to pass some downtime.

Eleonora: Your Festival Letteratura, how delightful! A truly wonderful way to pass an evening...I'm a smidge envious to be honest. ;) I would love to have access to a book club, and 38 members would be comfortable yet diverse enough with opinions to be very enjoyable.

Do we really need August? August represents himself somewhat as an interloper. An unwanted guest that puts his feet up on your coffee table, eats all your food...disturbs the ebb and flow of the household. No, August does not need to be taking up room on my calendar couch. Out on the sidewalk for him.

It is not difficult to glean that August is far from being my favourite month. It is a difficult month for me in so many ways. August 13th is the 22nd anniversary of my parents' death. I have no credible memory of my parents as I was only 2 years old, however, I think you know and feel when flesh and blood are missing; perhaps an intuitive familial bond?  Without memories I cannot wear the mantle of grief that my brother, whom was 6 years old at the time, and my grandfather, my mother's father, do...as such August 13th represents a bereavement of memories and a future a lost for me.

Enough of the dramatics! Happier things. I'm home. We spent longer than planned out on the boat with rough weather dogging us nearly the entire trip, but almost as a welcome back into port gift the weather lifted accompanied by a beautiful sunburst.

afterstorm.jpg

I am hoping the majority of my free time will be consumed with planning renovations to my little cottage, which is a little world weary at present. First item on my list is finding someone that may be able to carry out the extensive renovations. Not an easy task on an island with an approximate population of 1600. I have been told that amongst the newest residents is a guy looking to pick up work as a handyman/builder/jack-of-all-trades. Perhaps he is a gift from the reno gods. Time will tell.

Athena: I'm pleased that you have settled in enough to now be able to find some relaxation time. I wish you and your partner every happiness in your new home, and you be blessed with many wonderful memories.

Thanks Calexa :).

It is not difficult to glean that August is far from being my favourite month. It is a difficult month for me in so many ways. August 13th is the 22nd anniversary of my parents' death. I have no credible memory of my parents as I was only 2 years old, however, I think you know and feel when flesh and blood are missing; perhaps an intuitive familial bond?  Without memories I cannot wear the mantle of grief that my brother, whom was 6 years old at the time, and my grandfather, my mother's father, do...as such August 13th represents a bereavement of memories and a future a lost for me.

Enough of the dramatics! Happier things. I'm home. We spent longer than planned out on the boat with rough weather dogging us nearly the entire trip, but almost as a welcome back into port gift the weather lifted accompanied by a beautiful sunburst.

I am hoping the majority of my free time will be consumed with planning renovations to my little cottage, which is a little world weary at present. First item on my list is finding someone that may be able to carry out the extensive renovations. Not an easy task on an island with an approximate population of 1600. I have been told that amongst the newest residents is a guy looking to pick up work as a handyman/builder/jack-of-all-trades. Perhaps he is a gift from the reno gods. Time will tell.

I'm so sorry to hear of your parents' death :(. That must be incredibly difficult :friends0:.

The photo is beautiful, I'm glad you had a good time on your trip. Good luck with the renovations :).

Enough of the dramatics! Happier things.

You feel about August exactly the way I feel about October.  My brother passed away-suddenly- at the age of 25, October 21st, 7 years ago.  It is still as fresh today as it was then and it never gets any better.  It doesn't matter how much you knew of your parents, a hole is left.  Maybe a hole in a Whole never realized for you, I am not sure.  I just know I miss my brother everyday and dread October.  Even the fall weather of October and the smells effect me. 

At least he still visits us, sometimes.  I hope you get visits too.  :smile:

And the gorgeous photo goes along with the theme, too, don't you think?

Edited by Anna Begins

Calexa and Anna, I'm so sorry .. it must be very difficult for both of you. I have no words to express how sorry I am and how close I am to you. :friends0: :friends0: :friends0:

Athena, I'm sorry for your grandfather too. How is he now? :hug:

Now, time for the answers ..

I was given that particular topic when I wrote the article on paedophilia in Asia, because I write for a magazine on the asian culture. Some asian countries do not have real laws on that, they seem to have more some sort of guidelines, which are not exactly powerful. On the other hand, there are countries, like Japan, that have a different sense of morality if we compare it to European and North America countries. What is considered a huge No No Subject here is not necessarly seen in the same way over there. What is more, some japanese men seem to have a problem in dealing with woman.. they're too shy or too secretive they could show some problems in their social lives, so they relate much better with younger women (but they actually are children, though) than women equal in age. I'm not talking about the whole asian population obviously.. But in those countries I think prevention could be a way to solve the problem: I mean, some parents chose to sell their children and they know what will happen to those poor innocents, but hunger  - and cultural beliefs -  are difficult to defeat. I agree with you as far as "our world" is concerned ( I mean Europe and North America: paedophlia is more a clinical disorder. Still, it's disgusting and disturbing to me.

And now, my book club.. well, book clubs are rather common in the area around Mantua since the Book Fest has begun. There are 49 clubs in an area of 66 villages, which is a great success. :P  My library started it in march 2013 because the librarian wanted to try a new cultural experience. It worked perfectly!! There are a lot of people in my club but some of them are too shy to speak and they come because they love books and they feel a little alone. We meet once a month to discuss the book we have decided to read, but then some of us (we became friends you know) sometimes meet to see a concert or to go to a museum. I think there are 15 of us who are definitely more "close" and we enjoy some good  time together. It's wonderful!! I'm one of the youngest and I'm the sort of "baby chick" :ob_angelic: for the older men and women. The most amazing thing of a book club, in my opinion, is that I can read books I would never have chosen to read otherwise.. and I found some great stories I would have lost if I wasn't in a book club.

Sorry for my english once again.. I hope you all could understand what I wrote. :blush2:

Happy birthday, Angury

Good that the moving is over, Athena. Moved myself just recently, so I know what major work it is.

Eleonora, that sound exciting!

Calexa & Anna, sorry for your losses. :(

August is open for anything can happen for me. If I get accepted to the Philosofy B course, then I will know what the coming year will be about. If not, then I guess I have to look for a full-time job. And that may mean moving yet again. Hoping for alternative 1. Will find out on Wednesday.

Athena, I'm sorry for your grandfather too. How is he now? :hug:

[...]

Sorry for my english once again.. I hope you all could understand what I wrote. :blush2:

Thanks :). He is slowly recovering. I haven't heard yet if the operation has helped, I really hope so for him though.

Your English is fine, I could follow your post just fine :).

Good that the moving is over, Athena. Moved myself just recently, so I know what major work it is.

[...]

August is open for anything can happen for me. If I get accepted to the Philosofy B course, then I will know what the coming year will be about. If not, then I guess I have to look for a full-time job. And that may mean moving yet again. Hoping for alternative 1. Will find out on Wednesday.

I'm nervous about starting school.  I'm obsessed with my English, constantly thinking I'm wrong, obsessed with looking up words and spelling, putting myself down for not knowing more, etc.  I mean, it's only one class, but I am getting cold feet!  10 days to go.

My 5 year old will also be starting Kindergarten the same day, I could cry  :cry:

Edited by Anna Begins

I'm nervous about starting school.  I'm obsessed with my English, constantly thinking I'm wrong, obsessed with looking up words and spelling, putting myself down for not knowing more, etc.  I mean, it's only one class, but I am getting cold feet!  10 days to go.

My 5 year old will also be starting Kindergarten the same day, I could cry  :cry:

Awww :(. It makes sense you're nervous, but to me your English is pretty good compared with the English and Dutch of some of the students I went to university with! I hope you can enjoy the course and not be too nervous. I hope your child will also do well in Kindergarten :). He/she might be full of new stories when he/she comes back.

Athena: Thank you for your kindness.  I cannot claim a palpable grief such as that in Anna's situation. In my case I think, Anna, summed it up best; a hole with a whole. Acknowledgement of something that was, but no longer can be...the end of a possibility.

I'm pleased your grandfather is doing well. I hope he'll have success with his operation helping what it needs to.

Anna: I mourn the loss of my parents as a death of a future that never had the chance to bloom fully. I am thankful that I, and my brother, had wonderful parenting at the hands of my grandparents. I could never come close to repaying them for the love and blessing they bestow upon me.

I am deeply sorry for your loss, Anna.  :empathy:  I honestly cannot imagine such a hurt. My grandparents were wonderful, but my brother is my rock...and to lose him would cause me unimaginable pain. August and October; the year doesn't need them. I'm well pleased with a 10 month year.

Two brave little souls off to school on the same day! I wish you and your 5 year old happy tidings for your first days at school. I have faith you both will brave little diligent soldiers.  May I ask what prompted a return to school?

Eleonora: I don't think I would have the fortitude to research such subject matter. You have my admiration.

Reading your remarks about the book clubs in your region make me quite envious. I would be lucky to muster enough for one such club where I reside. Often I wonder at living somewhere with a larger population and access to more 'things'.

And thank you for your sympathies.

Emelee: May August work out in the way you hope it shall.  Thank you for your kind thoughts.

My microwave has decided that right now is a good time to cook something. Not because there's food in there, or because I pushed buttons to tell it to cook something, but because deep in its little microwave heart it apparently feels a strong and urgent need to cook something.

I think its efforts to cook something are ultimately futile, because it doesn't appear to be putting out any heat. I put a cup of water in it to prevent it from burning itself up trying to microwave empty air. It's spinning its little turntable and running its little fan and making little microwave noises, but it isn't accomplishing anything; the water is still cold. (There's a depressing metaphor in there somewhere.) It's possible, sadly, that it has been doing this all week while I was out at sea and has already burnt itself out.

It stops when I open the door, thankfully. RIP, little microwave. May you go to the big kitchen in the sky and cook things to your heart's content.

The week before last it was my iron...and now my microwave. An electrical appliance conspiracy?

I have good news on my renovations! I contacted the new guy looking for work and he'll start tomorrow. With my floors first I hope.

Edited by Calexa

My microwave has decided that right now is a good time to cook something. Not because there's food in there, or because I pushed buttons to tell it to cook something, but because deep in its little microwave heart it apparently feels a strong and urgent need to cook something.

I think its efforts to cook something are ultimately futile, because it doesn't appear to be putting out any heat. I put a cup of water in it to prevent it from burning itself up trying to microwave empty air. It's spinning its little turntable and running its little fan and making little microwave noises, but it isn't accomplishing anything; the water is still cold. (There's a depressing metaphor in there somewhere.) It's possible, sadly, that it has been doing this all week while I was out at sea and has already burnt itself out.

It stops when I open the door, thankfully. RIP, little microwave. May you go to the big kitchen in the sky and cook things to your heart's content.

The week before last it was my iron...and now my microwave. An electrical appliance conspiracy?

I have good news on my renovations! I contacted the new guy looking for work and he'll start tomorrow. With my floors first I hope.

I find usually when an electrical appliance breaks down, it's normally more than one!

Good luck, I hope the renovations become very beautiful :).

I think I've been quite lucky with not losing so much people. I might have a lot of issues in my life but I'm so glad I still have many of my family. The losses that have most affected me have been my greatgrandmother, my dogs, my chicken and my guinea pigs.

I feel with my tiredness it'd be best if I were to read a book but I'm not sure I can concentrate. So we will see.

I find usually when an electrical appliance breaks down, it's normally more than one!

Good luck, I hope the renovations become very beautiful :).

I think I've been quite lucky with not losing so much people. I might have a lot of issues in my life but I'm so glad I still have many of my family. The losses that have most affected me have been my greatgrandmother, my dogs, my chicken and my guinea pigs.

I feel with my tiredness it'd be best if I were to read a book but I'm not sure I can concentrate. So we will see.

I'll remain cheerful if my refrigerator doesn't feel inclined to follow suit. Paying for my renovations is enough. I don't want the extra expense of three electrical items!

Thank you. I hope so, too. This is my first home (I named it Tidesong :D) and I want so much for it to be all I wish it to be...and wooden floors that don't make me feel as though I'm riding upon the crest of a wave.

My grandmother is the remembered death so to speak that I have really experienced. She passed away when I was nine. My grandfather had to learn fairly quickly about ponytails and ribbons. Apart from the death of my parents and grandmother I've had a more or less cotton-candy life, a little different to most people mayhap, but a life without issues.

I couldn't imagine what it would be like to experience the death of a pet. Heartbreaking like a family member I would think. As odd as it may sound, I've never owned a pet.

Tiredness? A result of nothing untoward I hope. Simply a need for some 'you' time.

I'll remain cheerful if my refrigerator doesn't feel inclined to follow suit. Paying for my renovations is enough. I don't want the extra expense of three electrical items!

I hope it will remain good!

Thank you. I hope so, too. This is my first home (I named it Tidesong :D) and I want so much for it to be all I wish it to be...and wooden floors that don't make me feel as though I'm riding upon the crest of a wave.

That's pretty exciting :).

My grandmother is the remembered death so to speak that I have really experienced. She passed away when I was nine. My grandfather had to learn fairly quickly about ponytails and ribbons. Apart from the death of my parents and grandmother I've had a more or less cotton-candy life, a little different to most people mayhap, but a life without issues.

I couldn't imagine what it would be like to experience the death of a pet. Heartbreaking like a family member I would think. As odd as it may sound, I've never owned a pet.

I can imagine her death hit you hard :(. Of course a pet isn't like a person but since they are around you so much it does hit you. In particularly I found I really miss our old dogs, I still do though not as much as when they just passed away of course. Dogs are really part of the family (as are cats).

Tiredness? A result of nothing untoward I hope. Simply a need for some 'you' time.

I have several disorders that mean I have trouble processing input. Input is anything to do with the senses, such as seeing things, hearing something, feeling a touch, etc. For more information feel free to ask me or look at my Member's Thread (in particular post 1 (input issues), post 67 (HFA), post 151 (SI) and post 416 (ADD))

Basically input tires me greatly, more than with most people. I think I did too much with this move and am now feeling the repercussions. The best thing to do is rest. When I'm tired I can't do much. When I'm very tired, even reading is hard. Watching something (ie. a TV show) costs me much more energy than reading (audio+video vs. words on a page). When I'm just lying in bed my thoughts drive me insane (ADD) but now that I have medication that is better. I sometimes have showers or baths when I'm a bit tired, they help too (but I can only have so many in a week). Buying something, in particular books, helps too but that costs money. Anyway, I hope this isn't too heavy stuff but if you have any questions, feel free to ask. For now, I'm just going to try and take things slow :).

EDIT: I hope this last bit didn't come across as too intense :blush2:.

Edited by Athena

Anna: I mourn the loss of my parents as a death of a future that never had the chance to bloom fully. I am thankful that I, and my brother, had wonderful parenting at the hands of my grandparents. I could never come close to repaying them for the love and blessing they bestow upon me.

I am deeply sorry for your loss, Anna.  :empathy:  I honestly cannot imagine such a hurt. My grandparents were wonderful, but my brother is my rock...and to lose him would cause me unimaginable pain. August and October; the year doesn't need them. I'm well pleased with a 10 month year.

Two brave little souls off to school on the same day! I wish you and your 5 year old happy tidings for your first days at school. I have faith you both will brave little diligent soldiers.  May I ask what prompted a return to school?

My brother and I were very close, but I am grateful for the time we did have together and I can't wait til I see him again.  And Cheers to the 10 month year!

On the school issue, I kinda just figured why not.  I love to read and study (some things) and I thought maybe I could do something with that.  I am going for an AA, major in English.  I am just taking a basic English composition class for this semester to get used to getting back to school (its been 20 years).  Next semester I might have to take Algebra (ok, I do have to, but I'm trying not to think about it) and then another English class before I get to take all the fun English classes- the Short Story, Intro to Mythology, The Classic Novel, Contemporary Fiction, etc.  I can't wait!! 

Edited by Anna Begins

EDIT: I hope this last bit didn't come across as too intense :blush2:.

Not at all. Quite the opposite. I thank you for sharing with me, Athena.

I read the suggested posts in your thread and now have a little more understanding of your difficulties.  The courage you have shown by continually searching for answers is admirable and shows great fortitude. And by putting down your story in words and sharing  with us it not only gives you a way of making sense of what is happening to you, but serves as an education and even perhaps a beacon or enlightenment for someone who may be experiencing the same or similar.

A friend of mine has Asperger's syndrome; brilliant, absolutely brilliant mind. He managed to painstakingly work his way through university to become a aerospace engineer, however, due to many of the issues you experience day to day he has never been able to work in his chosen field. He works at home as a sculptor in wood and metal.

I shall be following your journey from now on in your personal thread. :)

Calexa, it may be the wise move to unplug the microwave.  Fire hazard and all that. 

Hope the fridge remains online. :)

I had actually unplugged it pretty much straight after I played around to see what the problem was. My newly departed microwave is now sitting at a friend's house waiting to be cannibalized for parts--I'm almost certain my friend is building a time machine due to the odd assortment of things he has sitting in his workshop.

Thank you. :)

My brother and I were very close, but I am grateful for the time we did have together and I can't wait til I see him again.  And Cheers to the 10 month year!

On the school issue, I kinda just figured why not.  I love to read and study (some things) and I thought maybe I could do something with that.  I am going for an AA, major in English.  I am just taking a basic English composition class for this semester to get used to getting back to school (its been 20 years).  Next semester I might have to take Algebra (ok, I do have to, but I'm trying not to think about it) and then another English class before I get to take all the fun English classes- the Short Story, Intro to Mythology, The Classic Novel, Contemporary Fiction, etc.  I can't wait!! 

Fantastic, Anna. I am always full of admiration for people who continually wish to push their own personal boudaries of accomplishment. You'll do well, I'm certain of it.  I can empathize with the dauntingness (is that even a word?) of returning to study. I've only been away from it for a couple of years and I'm terrified of attending Maritime College in the new year. AND I don't have a family to look after!

---

Had my builder start work today. I'm a little apprehensive about this builder/client relationship (I became empty headed for a moment or thirty upon meeting him--this is more than a little shallow, but I was a bit dumbstruck by how aesthetically pleasing he was), he already thinks I'm an idiot. The news in regards to my floors is much better, they are obviously not as idiotic as me, and will require less work to get them in tip top condition again.

I've also booked my holiday in Thailand! Yay warm weather. Unfortunately my holiday isn't until December. :D

Tomorrow will see me back out on the boat for a couple of days. The expense of the renovations and the uncooperative electrical appliances mean that I'll need to spend more of the month working out on one of our boats rather than in the co-op office. I hope to be back by Saturday to catch the casino fundraising evening at our only pub. It'll be nice to step into an evening dress and heels instead of my fishy smelling foul weather gear and gumboots.

Edited by Calexa

Not at all. Quite the opposite. I thank you for sharing with me, Athena.

I read the suggested posts in your thread and now have a little more understanding of your difficulties.  The courage you have shown by continually searching for answers is admirable and shows great fortitude. And by putting down your story in words and sharing  with us it not only gives you a way of making sense of what is happening to you, but serves as an education and even perhaps a beacon or enlightenment for someone who may be experiencing the same or similar.

A friend of mine has Asperger's syndrome; brilliant, absolutely brilliant mind. He managed to painstakingly work his way through university to become a aerospace engineer, however, due to many of the issues you experience day to day he has never been able to work in his chosen field. He works at home as a sculptor in wood and metal.

I shall be following your journey from now on in your personal thread. :)

Thanks so much for your comments. I'm sorry to hear your friend can't work in the field he would want to, though I hope he enjoys sculpting too.

Had my builder start work today. I'm a little apprehensive about this builder/client relationship (I became empty headed for a moment or thirty upon meeting him--this is more than a little shallow, but I was a bit dumbstruck by how aesthetically pleasing he was), he already thinks I'm an idiot. The news in regards to my floors is much better, they are obviously not as idiotic as me, and will require less work to get them in tip top condition again.

I've also booked my holiday in Thailand! Yay warm weather. Unfortunately my holiday isn't until December. :D

Tomorrow will see me back out on the boat for a couple of days. The expense of the renovations and the uncooperative electrical appliances mean that I'll need to spend more of the month working out on one of our boats rather than in the co-op office. I hope to be back by Saturday to catch the casino fundraising evening at our only pub. It'll be nice to step into an evening dress and heels instead of my fishy smelling foul weather gear and gumboots.

I hope things go okay between you and the builder. Your holiday sounds very nice, I hope you enjoy it :). Good luck with the boat!

So much is going on and I can't comment on it all. Life is simply happening too fast. Slow down people!

Yesterday was my 46 birthday. I spent it quietly as hubby had to work and I had to travel back home for a meeting. Then it was bill paying and a little grocery shopping. Hubby and I did go to the movies on Sunday and to Rita's (homemade gelato and icees) before going to our cousins house for dinner.

I got up this morning and took the dog for a nice long walk and it seems that I am to pay for it this evening. I don't know WHY my body aches so much. My neck is bothering me more since my spinal fusion surgery last year and I'm not sure what that's all about. The aches and pains make working out very difficult, ugh.

As tomorrow is Wednesday, I'll have the grands for several hours as mommy and daddy have a prenatal appointment. Baby number 5 will be here soon! Hopefully I can get a few boxes packed and do the weeks budget and get my weekend bag ready for Friday's trip to visit my husband. We think we found a house and I hope it works out as its just what we need. The owner is renting with the option to purchase. We'd get to do any renovations that we want and trust me, we want!

Guess I'll crash on the sofa tonight. The bedroom just feels different without him here.