Your Book Activity - August 2014

Athena

This is great :)!

I've just started to read Catherine Ryan Hyde - Don't Let Me Go. I've only read a couple of pages so far but initial impressions are good :).

I hope you enjoy the book as Catherine Ryan Hyde has fast become one of my current favorite authors.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After, I'm not sure how many duds, I've started Holy Orders: A Quirke Novel  by Benjamin Black (aka John Banville).  AT LAST!  Something clicked! :readingtwo:

Edited by pontalba

I finished The Girl Who Walked on Air by Emma Carroll today. It's a children's book, probably aimed at the 9-12 age group, but good old-fashioned story telling, no fantasy or sci-fi elements, a historical setting in a Victorian circus for an exciting, dangerous, heart-stopping, perilous story. I loved it, and will definitely keep it for my goddaughter in a few years time.

I think I'm going to go for We Were Liars by E. Lockhart next.

I hope you enjoy the book as Catherine Ryan Hyde has fast become one of my current favorite authors.

I'm really enjoying it so far! I'm on page 81 out of 411 at the moment. 

I think I'm going to go for We Were Liars by E. Lockhart next.[/font]

I hope you enjoy this book :). I've heard good things but haven't read it myself.

For those that are interested in the September RC choice of I, Claudius by Robert Graves.....it is on sale in the form of a kindle copy on Amazon today for only 1.99 USD.  :readingtwo:  :cool:

For those that are interested in the September RC choice of I, Claudius by Robert Graves.....it is on sale in the form of a kindle copy on Amazon today for only 1.99 USD.  :readingtwo:  :cool:

Awww, I just got excited and went to check it, but it appears they don't sell it to the Netherlands :(. I guess it's US-only. Thanks though for mentioning it :).

I'm at page 177 out of 411 of Don't Let Me Go by Catherine Ryan Hyde and am still enjoying it :).

Edited by Athena

Thanks for that!  Although I might not get to this month, I definitely want to read it.

I'm at page 177 out of 411 of Don't Let Me Go by Catherine Ryan Hyde and am still enjoying it :).

I'm glad you are enjoying it- did you cry yet?  :P

Edited by Anna Begins

Ya know, I'm reading the Kindle Sample and liking it already.  I didn't know it was in the First Person, a style I am getting really fond of lately.

I started We Were Liars at lunchtime - it's certainly gripping!  :readingtwo: 

I like the Amazon description, especially the last sentence!!

A beautiful and distinguished family.

A private island.

A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.

A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.

A revolution. An accident. A secret.

Lies upon lies.

True love.

The truth.

We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from New York Times bestselling author, National Book Award finalist, and Printz Award honoree E. Lockhart. 

Read it.

And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE.

Well, I finished reading Melvyn Bragg's excellent biography of Richard Burton - it made me cry at the end, even though I knew exactly how it ended, as I am a fan of Burton.

Now reading The Three Musketeers.  I am only just over 100 pages in, but if it continues to be as good as it has been so far, it will definitely make my list of favourites.  

I like the Amazon description, especially the last sentence!!

A beautiful and distinguished family.

A private island.

A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.

A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.

A revolution. An accident. A secret.

Lies upon lies.

True love.

The truth.

We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from New York Times bestselling author, National Book Award finalist, and Printz Award honoree E. Lockhart. 

Read it.

And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE.

I don't know how it ends yet, but I think I know where it's going.  I almost hope I'm wrong, as everyone says they never saw the end coming, and I'd like to be surprised, but I think I'm seeing clues here and there.  But, if it carries on as it's started, I'm definitely going to be recommending it! :)

I'm glad you are enjoying it- did you cry yet?  :P

I don't often cry out loud when I read books. I do cry on the inside though, there was especially one particular moment that I found emotional. 

Now reading The Three Musketeers.  I am only just over 100 pages in, but if it continues to be as good as it has been so far, it will definitely make my list of favourites.

I'm glad to hear it, it's on my TBR.

Chesil, glad you're enjoying the book :).

Hehe, that's great! I love those coincidences :smile2: And guess what. Coincidentally, I'm currently reading a John Boyne book :D I swear!! I came to this thread to write about it! It's called The Terrible Thing That Happened to Barnaby Brocket and I'm really enjoying it. 

And guess what: the story is set in Sydney, Australia! :D

I haven't heard of CoRR, though, so good on you! :) I hope it's a good book. This Boyne book is the third I'm reading, and I've enjoyed all of his books immensely. He's someone to watch out for, for sure! 

Edit: OOoh Kylie, Kylie! I received a FTBC newsletter yesterday and it made me think of the Kerry Greenwood book and Parrot & Olivier, and then I thought, why don't I just check the Espoo libraries if they have copies. No luck with Kerry Greenwood, but they do have copies of P&O!! I'm so excited! :exc::D As much as I love my hometown library, their collection does not compare to the collections of the Espoo libraries. Which is very understandable, Espoo is loads bigger and has more money. But it's going to be good for me :blush::wub:

Lots of good news there! :D

I have started reading Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami.

I've always wanted to read it!  Looking forward to hearing your impressions!

I don't know how it ends yet, but I think I know where it's going.  I almost hope I'm wrong, as everyone says they never saw the end coming, and I'd like to be surprised, but I think I'm seeing clues here and there.  But, if it carries on as it's started, I'm definitely going to be recommending it! :)

With a line like the Amazon synopsis, you just might get a surprise!

I don't often cry out loud when I read books. I do cry on the inside though, there was especially one particular moment that I found emotional. 

I know exactly which part :smile:  :readingtwo: I hope you are liking it!

Awww, I just got excited and went to check it, but it appears they don't sell it to the Netherlands :(. I guess it's US-only. Thanks though for mentioning it :).

Ratz!  That is a shame, sorry about that! :( 

Thanks for that!  Although I might not get to this month, I definitely want to read it.

Ya know, I'm reading the Kindle Sample and liking it already.  I didn't know it was in the First Person, a style I am getting really fond of lately.

Glad to hear that!  Both it and it's sequel Claudius the God are very re-readable books.  I have reread a couple of times, but it's been quite a while since my last reading.  I can't wait to reread yet again. :)

I can't wait to reread yet again. :)

I bough it yesterday, so I think I might get to it for the circle- I think it will be my next read.  Depends on school... so far, "homework" is one 20-30 page Chapter a class lol My mom's said that was like a yawn for me.   :giggle2:

I bough it yesterday, so I think I might get to it for the circle- I think it will be my next read.  Depends on school... so far, "homework" is one 20-30 page Chapter a class lol My mom's said that was like a yawn for me.   :giggle2:

:D  Yup, your mom is quite right!  Glad to hear the classes look as good as you've said above.

I just finished Take Me With You by Catherine Ryan Hyde. I was totally disappointed with this book. Parts were not very believable and all of the book was too pooshy.

Oh well, this was the fifth book of hers that I have read and it is the only one I didn't enjoy. Most of the others I read I would rate 4/5.

Whew!  50% into Elie Wiesel's memoirs- such a good book.

I just finished Take Me With You by Catherine Ryan Hyde. I was totally disappointed with this book. Parts were not very believable and all of the book was too pooshy.

Oh well, this was the fifth book of hers that I have read and it is the only one I didn't enjoy. Most of the others I read I would rate 4/5.

:o  Devastating news!!  That's terrible. 

Whew!  50% into Elie Wiesel's memoirs- such a good book.

:o  Devastating news!!  That's terrible. 

It may just be me as Amazon gives the book 4.5 stars. For some reason I just didn't like the book. Don't "not read" the book because of my dislike. Actually I am eager to see what you think of it.

It may just be me as Amazon gives the book 4.5 stars. For some reason I just didn't like the book. Don't "not read" the book because of my dislike. Actually I am eager to see what you think of it.

Oh, ok, I'll give it a shot :P Although, we do have similar tastes when it comes to CRH!  I also have Where We Belong, When You Were Here and Second Hand Heart on my TBR list.  My library only has Becoming Chloe, but I don't mind paying for them (as I read them!).  Interesting, all her books are on the Amazon Unlimited list (the library thing).

I've always wanted to read it!  Looking forward to hearing your impressions!

With a line like the Amazon synopsis, you just might get a surprise!

I know exactly which part :smile:  :readingtwo: I hope you are liking it!

I'm on page 262 out of 411 now and it's just so good! :)

I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy this one. I'm glad you enjoyed the others, though. I have When I Found You on my TBR and the rest should / will be on my wishlist.