Your Book Activity - August 2014

Athena

I've had to put aside A Discovery of Witches, and doubt I will pick it up again. It's the constant over the top romantic cliches that just do my head in! I'm so sick of reading how constantly the vampire growls whenever he thinks his beloved is threatened, or how much she quivers and blushes when he looks her way. :doh:  He's constantly holding her in his extremely manly arms while she quivers with excitement, and I just can't bear any more of it. :giggle2:  Seriously this book could be half the length with all that romantic rubbish removed. :doh:

I'm going to start on another 2012 purchase - Mr China by Tim Clissold. I can't figure out if it's fiction or non-fiction, and I'm a bit puzzled why I bought it, but I do fancy reading something a little more serious after the rubbish I've just wasted my time on so hopefully this will fit the bill!

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to read you're not enjoying it :(.

I finished reading Your Life Can Be Better: Using Strategies for Adult ADD/ADHD by Douglas A. Puryear and have read Matsumi Tsuda - Kare Kano: His and Her Circumstances Volumes 10-14 yesterday and this morning (while I waited for the postman :giggle2:).

Sorry to read you're not enjoying it :(.

I finished reading Your Life Can Be Better: Using Strategies for Adult ADD/ADHD by Douglas A. Puryear and have read Matsumi Tsuda - Kare Kano: His and Her Circumstances Volumes 10-14 yesterday and this morning (while I waited for the postman :giggle2:).

I hope you got some good stuff I the mail!  I got my English textbook!  :exc: It shipped to my mom's house though, but she just went home to pick it up for me!  :exc: That gives me 4 days with the book before school, which is better than 2!

Edited by Anna Begins

After two months, am still making steady (slow?) headway on Tim Blanning's Pursuit of Glory, and have just reached the fourth and final part today. It's a great read, but just demands so much of one's time. I've obviously interspersed it with other reads: last night I finished Ned Boulting's On the Road Bike: easy and interesting, almost a series of fairly light essays based around interviews. I like his sense of humour, and ability to know when it's appropriate in the book. Not quite as 'good' as his first book, but still a very worthwhile read.

Had an amble into town today, and allowed myself a long mooch in Waterstones. I find myself spending less and less time in the fiction section, and more and more in the first and second floor non-fiction sections, especially History and Travel. Having said that, didn't buy anything there (they didn't really have the books I was looking for), but did buy copies of Penelope Fitzgerald's Offshore and David Thomson's The Big Screen. I say 'buy' - I was able to pay for them with points on my Waterstones card. Nice that!

I finished reading two days ago Stars My Destination.

It was pretty good, although I was expecting something more... but I think that it's more about my tastes than the actual quality of the book. In fact, it's difficult to say why I didn't like it as much as I was expecting to... :P It surely is full of original ideas! Everybody who loves sci-fi and/or adventure should give it a shot!

Now I'm into Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brien... this is my first (at least that I remember of) navy/pirate novel that I ever read... I hope to enjoy it! 

Now I'm into Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brien... this is my first (at least that I remember of) navy/pirate novel that I ever read... I hope to enjoy it! 

Happy reading!  :readingtwo:  :smile:

A few weeks ago I saw that somebody here was reading a book called The Bookshop That Floated Away and it had such a lovely title that I had to order it.
I got it yesterday, read the first 50 pages and I'm still not sure what to think of it. I'll be reading some more chapters tonight.

I hope you got some good stuff I the mail!  I got my English textbook!  :exc: It shipped to my mom's house though, but she just went home to pick it up for me!  :exc: That gives me 4 days with the book before school, which is better than 2!

That's very exciting :exc:! I got two movies and some books in the mail. 

Thanks, Athena. But not to worry - I have many more books on my TBR that I'm sure I will find more enjoyable. :boogie:

That's great to hear :).

I haven't yet picked up a new book.. there are several I'm thinking of starting. I'm also thinking maybe I should finish reading the manga series first. We'll see how today goes :).

A few weeks ago I saw that somebody here was reading a book called The Bookshop That Floated Away and it had such a lovely title that I had to order it.

I got it yesterday, read the first 50 pages and I'm still not sure what to think of it. I'll be reading some more chapters tonight.

That was me - I loved the title too, but unfortunately I didn't think the book lived up to it. Sorry.  Here's my review if you want to compare once you've finished it -->  http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/12450-claires-book-list-2014/page-5#entry395066

Yesterday I accidentally clicked on the wrong button and ended up buying Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve instead of added it to my wish list, and I made a good start on The Girl Who Walked On Air. Seeing as it's absolutely pouring with rain :intherain: this morning, and yesterday I finished all the errands I had to do this weekend, I'm hoping that today can be a relaxing, reading day, and I'll finish it as well.  :readingtwo:

Seeing as it's absolutely pouring with rain :intherain: this morning, and yesterday I finished all the errands I had to do this weekend, I'm hoping that today can be a relaxing, reading day, and I'll finish it as well.  :readingtwo:

Woohoo for the rain!  That's great- I know you wanted to get some reading done this weekend.  I took today to basically read most of the day.  Elie Wiesel is so good!  Although I need my computer handy to look up stuff :P

Yesterday I accidentally clicked on the wrong button and ended up buying Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve instead of added it to my wish list, and I made a good start on The Girl Who Walked On Air. Seeing as it's absolutely pouring with rain :intherain: this morning, and yesterday I finished all the errands I had to do this weekend, I'm hoping that today can be a relaxing, reading day, and I'll finish it as well.  :readingtwo:[/font]

I hope you can get some reading done :). It's been rainy here too (sometimes more than other times).

I finished Born to Run by Christopher McDougall - I'm very much into reading books about running, mostly trail running, and this was very good!

I'm now reading Sunset Song by Lewis Grassic Gibbon; it's taken me a bit of time to get used to the writing style, but I like it so far. 

Yesterday I accidentally clicked on the wrong button and ended up buying Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve instead of added it to my wish list[/font]

Don't think you'll regret it - it's advertised as a children's book, but I found it a really good read. One of the best opening sentences ever - I regularly use it as an example with my children at school!

Hope you do too - I love this series. Some of O'Brien's naval jargon can get a bit obscure, but I just let it wash over me and enjoyed the story. Much of what O'Brien wrote is based on real events, but won't spoil your enjoyment by discussing that yet. It's fascinating once you have in tracing those real bits through the history books (if you're a bit of a geek about things like that, like me!).

Starting another Jodi Picoult....'Mercy', too many of her books on my shelf I have unread.

I hope you enjoy it :), I haven't read Mercy yet but it is on my shelf.

I finished reading the Kare Kano series, not sure yet what I'll read next. Several books I have my eyes on.. first.. a break.

I'm 28% through Pride and Prejudice - my first ever Jane Austen! - and going very well.

Wow- good job!  I'm glad you are liking it!

I am 28% through Elie Wiesel's Memoirs and LOVING it.  I need my computer handy though, while reading it :P

I hope you find something!

My mojo hasn't been feeling great the past two weeks. I'm not sure what to do to make it better. Sometimes I do read and enjoy it but somehow every time I'm thinking about whether I shall read I don't really feel like it (once I read for a while though it feels a little bit better). But I'm too tired to do many other things at the moment :thud:.

Thanks, Athena.  :)  Still mucking about.  but Life is interfering.  Drat. :)

Finished Close Your Eyes, Hold Hands this afternoon (review in my thread) and now am in between Elie Wiesel's Memoirs All Rivers Run to the Sea and Salt: A Post- Apocalyptic Thriller by Colin F. Barnes.  Wiesel is always so elegant (this will be book #5 of his I have read) and Salt is turning out to be good:

In 2014 humanity didn’t stand a chance.

A series of fatal climatic disasters struck, entirely drowning the planet. Now, just one hundred and twenty-five souls remain, surviving on a flotilla of damaged ships. Facing severe threats to their numbers by a fatal bacterium and increasingly warring factions, they discover a serial killer within their midst. (Amazon)

I like the sound of Salt, I love dystopian/post-apocalyptic stories. :)

It was pretty good, although I was expecting something more... but I think that it's more about my tastes than the actual quality of the book. In fact, it's difficult to say why I didn't like it as much as I was expecting to... :P It surely is full of original ideas! Everybody who loves sci-fi and/or adventure should give it a shot!

I was disappointed in Stars My Destination as well.  I first read it a couple of years ago, expecting quite a lot.  For me at least it didn't live up to expectations.  I think if it had been read earlier in my life, before reading as much science fiction as I have, I'd have enjoyed it more.  It would have been fresher to me.  As it is, it's a bit dated.  Kinda, sorta.  It was innovative at the time of it's publication, mid 1950's. 

I'm 28% through Pride and Prejudice - my first ever Jane Austen! - and going very well.

This is great :)!

I've just started to read Catherine Ryan Hyde - Don't Let Me Go. I've only read a couple of pages so far but initial impressions are good :).

Edited by Athena

Shame you didn't enjoy The Stars My Destination - I loved it, it's one of my favourite books.  I hope you enjoy Master & Commander a bit more - I thought it was quite hard work at the start with all the nautical terminology but, once I got past that I thought it was a great book, and the subsequent books are marvellous - a fantastic series :smile:

I'm just making a start on The Scent of Death by Andrew Taylor.

Finished Irvine Welsh's Acid House. At first it was a bit hard getting used to the scottish writing but after a while i breezed through it. Really enjoyed it.

Next up the prequel to Trainspotting .... sk_zps53bcbce0.jpg