Your Book Activity - August 2014

Athena

I finished two books last week.

The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd and 

Animal Farm by George Orwell.

Loved both of them, and I'm definitely going to read more by Sue Monk Kidd.  I also plan to reread 1984.  I first read it about 20 years ago.

I loved both Animal Farm and 1984. Both read during my high school days as part of English Lit. I have 1984 sitting in my TBR pile at present. I'm looking to revisit some books that I was obliged to read rather than a choice through pleasure alone.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's an interesting comparison. I never really liked Mark Twain either, but I have gone/still go to school in Missouri so Mark Twain is a big deal. I liked To Kill A Mockingbird and the only similarities I can think of is that they both talk about southern life. Other than that, I think TKAM is far better. :D

You're absolutely right! I've nearly finished it, and the Mark Twain impression has faded away after the first chapters... I'm liking it more and more as I go on!

After reading all other Tolkien works...so far I can only compare reading his 'encyclopedian' work The Silmarillion with a winter's midnight trip to the bathroom. Reluctant, bemoaned, but necessary. ;)

Well, if it makes you feel better, I can tell you there are far heavyer thinks among his works... "The history of Middle Earth" is basically the Silmarillion (even if they have many differences here and there), only much, much bigger.

You're absolutely right! I've nearly finished it, and the Mark Twain impression has faded away after the first chapters... I'm liking it more and more as I go on!

Well, if it makes you feel better, I can tell you there are far heavyer thinks among his works... "The history of Middle Earth" is basically the Silmarillion (even if they have many differences here and there), only much, much bigger.

I didn't mind The History of Middle-earth series. At least the books weren't mind-numbing as The Silmarillion is turning out to be. But to satisfy my little Middle-earth geeky heart I need to push through to the end.

Edited by Calexa

Yes, they are :smile:

Yesterday I started to read Douglas A. Puryear - Your Life Can Be Better: Using Strategies for Adult ADD/ADHD on my Kindle. It's good so far (but I'm only in chapter 3) and I'm really enjoying reading on my Kindle again (and highlighting things now and then) (even though I prefer paperbacks).

Edited by Athena

As it's the anniversary of the start of WW1, and I needed a new book to read, I thought I'd pick up Poppy by Mary Hooper, which is about a young woman who joins the Voluntary Aid Detatchment to train to be a nurse as part of the war effort in 1915.  It's a YA book, but I've read a couple of Mary Hooper books before and enjoyed them, so I'm looking forward to this one. :smile2:

That would be most welcome from you, thanks :smile:

I'm a bit concerned though, if it might be a bit spoilery, because you said it was a long review and so I expect it's quite detailed? I wonder if I should read the book first. 

I loved Where'd You Go, Bernadette. :smile:  It's just the right mix of quirky, humor and seriousness.

It's really good, and I do wonder why I've only just now picked it up to read because I got right into it. I guess I must've been seriously tired or out of it in some other way when I've tried starting it a few times before :shrug::D 

I just can't believe some of the characters in the book! :D The e-mails between Soo-Lin and Audrey... :thud:  :10_confused:  Cuckoo! :lol: :lol: 

:smile: 

I'm a bit concerned though, if it might be a bit spoilery, because you said it was a long review and so I expect it's quite detailed? I wonder if I should read the book first. 

No way, I'd never give out a spoiler!  What I wrote is mainly the synopsis in my words (nothing you wouldn't learn on Amazon or in the introduction by Rand herself), a brief explanation of Atlas Shrugged vs The Fountainhead and a brief explanation of Objectivism.  I have two copies- one for myself with spoilers and one to post on the board :smile: But if you are going to read the book and feel it might be too spoilery, then that's ok too :smile: I tried to keep Tim and Steve's reviews in mind when I wrote it, so it's about the length and depth of theirs (hopefully).

I'm glad you like it! :D

I loved 'Cloud Atlas' and so far, I'm really enjoying 'Ghostwritten'.

Glad to hear about Cloud Atlas, I have the Kindle Sample, I am intrigued.  After The Fountainhead though, I need a bit of a break from philosophy!

Glad to hear about Cloud Atlas, I have the Kindle Sample, I am intrigued.  After The Fountainhead though, I need a bit of a break from philosophy!

'Cloud Atlas' takes a little effort on the reader's part, but it's well worth reading.

Finished The Silmarillion; a journey I wish never to take again. I honestly found the read excruciating.

Started A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. I've read many of his books, and have always enjoyed his exuberant story telling style. I am told that A Walk in the Woods is Bryson at his best, and thus far it is proving to be so.

Also started The Civil War by Geoffrey C. Ward with Ric Burns and Ken Burns. This book is a research read for one of my WIP. I already knew a great deal about the American Civil War, but this book has been enlightening, and quite simply I have enjoyed the gathering of knowledge.

Edited by Calexa

Also started The Civil War by Geoffrey C. Ward with Ric Burns and Ken Burns. This book is a research read for one of my WIP. I already knew a great deal about the American Civil War, but this book has been enlightening, and quite simply I have enjoyed the gathering of knowledge.

Did you know Ken Burns is a film maker too?  You might have the "deluxe Kindle version" or something as such, which includes some of the stunning PBS series on the Civil War he did.  He is amazing.  (There is also one on WWII).  They are both available through Amazon too.  I did not know he did a book as well.  The Civil War (Burn's film) was my introduction to American historian and author Shelby Foote.  I have some of his books on my shelves, TBR, but his perspectives and commentary on the Confederacy's isssues/ position are so interesting.  I love American History and will be trying to slip a class in on my next semester  :smile:   Both my dad and I study Civil War history together.

Did you know Ken Burns is a film maker too?  You might have the "deluxe Kindle version" or something as such, which includes some of the stunning PBS series on the Civil War he did.  He is amazing.  (There is also one on WWII).  They are both available through Amazon too.  I did not know he did a book as well.  The Civil War (Burn's film) was my introduction to American historian and author Shelby Foote.  I have some of his books on my shelves, TBR, but his perspectives and commentary on the Confederacy's isssues/ position are so interesting.  I love American History and will be trying to slip a class in on my next semester  :smile:   Both my dad and I study Civil War history together.

I wasn't aware that Ken Burns did film on The Civil War. I was aware that he was a filmmaker as I had seen his WW II film, The War. Unfortunately I have the bound copy of the book, so no extras. I shall now have to track down a copy of the DVD of The Civil War. I have quite a few Civil War (and WW I, WW II) books on my shelves...erm...in my boxes. I love American Civil War history and Native American history. It must be great having a shared interest with your dad. Perhaps I should pester you with questions whilst I'm researching for my current WIP. :P

Thank you for bringing Ken Burns' Civil War film to my attention. :)

Perhaps I should pester you with questions whilst I'm researching for my current WIP. :P

Thank you for bringing Ken Burns' Civil War film to my attention. :)

You are more than welcome- I'm sure you will love it.  It is even better than The war IMO.  And I'd love to talk history anytime :smile:

Just finished 12 Years a Slave and started the dystopian/ apocalyptic Close Your Eyes, Hold Hands by Chris Bohjalian (author of Midwives).  I've been waiting to read this since it came out!  I have a pile of TBR Kindle Samples of his after loving Midwives. It's even endorsed on the front by... drum roll... Jodi Picoult: "If you need any proof that fiction can scare us, move us and break our hearts simultaneously, look no further." :readingtwo:

Edited by Anna Begins

I finished yesterday To kill a mockingbird: despite initial doubts, I enjoyed it very much! It re-created child life much, much better than Mark Twain did.
It gave me a good sense of nostalgia for the world of childhood, which I think it's one of his greatest achievements. It deals with other themes, such as racism or simply the matter of the "other": maybe it doesn't go deep about these, but considering it's a coming-of-age novel, that's enough.

Now I'm into Stars my destination by Alfred Bester. A friend of mine said it's very good, I hope he's right :D

I finished yesterday To kill a mockingbird: despite initial doubts, I enjoyed it very much! It re-created child life much, much better than Mark Twain did.

It gave me a good sense of nostalgia for the world of childhood, which I think it's one of his greatest achievements. It deals with other themes, such as racism or simply the matter of the "other": maybe it doesn't go deep about these, but considering it's a coming-of-age novel, that's enough.

Now I'm into Stars my destination by Alfred Bester. A friend of mine said it's very good, I hope he's right :D

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

The Alfred Bester book is on my wishlist, I hope you enjoy it :).

I've read more in Douglas A. Puryear - Your Life Can Be Better: Using Strategies for Adult ADD/ADHD which is pretty good. I recognise a lot of things and apparently I do do a lot of the things he suggests already (before my diagnosis though it never occured to me they had to do with ADD). I'm quite enjoying the book and am learning things.

No way, I'd never give out a spoiler!  What I wrote is mainly the synopsis in my words (nothing you wouldn't learn on Amazon or in the introduction by Rand herself), a brief explanation of Atlas Shrugged vs The Fountainhead and a brief explanation of Objectivism.  I have two copies- one for myself with spoilers and one to post on the board :smile: But if you are going to read the book and feel it might be too spoilery, then that's ok too :smile: I tried to keep Tim and Steve's reviews in mind when I wrote it, so it's about the length and depth of theirs (hopefully).

Thanks for that! :) Another thing that I forgot to mention is that I wonder if you detailed thoughts on it might affect my reading of it. I mean if I would 'get' the book on my own. What kind of thoughts I'd have about it myself, before reading anyone else's thoughts about it. :blush: Does that make sense? 

I'm so glad you ended up enjoying To Kill a Mockingbird, I noticed your post on the book in the actual thread and I was worried for a minute :D 

I read Stars My Destination a few years ago and it's definitely not the sort of book I usually read and/but I still enjoyed it a whole lot! :) I hope you shall like it :) 

I finished my first TBR book in bloody ages! :DWhere'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple. I enjoyed it very much (although I must say I liked the first part of the book better than the second half, I wasn't as jazzed about the 'quest' part as what events led to the whole 'quest')! :) 

I started reading It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini but we'll see how that goes.