Your Book Activity - August 2014

Athena

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am seeing the end of the tunnel with The Fountainhead.  I am 92% in and just read a "key" conversation that I think opened my eyes like none of the discussions in the book previously.  A bit of a "a-ha!" moment.  I don't know the end yet but I can see it comin'.   Woohoo!  And I think my review is almost done.

That's excellent news! I look forward to read the review :)

I managed to finish a book last night. Sweethearts by Sara Zarr. I just know that my mojo is going to be AWOL until I've actually moved to the new place and have settled down, so I'm not too hopeful with my current 'read' :rolleyes::D Sigh!

I hope your mojo comes back soon :empathy:.

Yays!  :D

A couple of my favorites are The Book of Illusions, Moon Palace and In The Country of Last Things

Just sayin'.......LOL

I was hoping you might mention some titles, thanks. :)

I have no idea what to read of his next...

Ok, 11:30pm and I am finished with The Fountainhead.  The review is quite long, but I'd appreciate comments on the language as well, as I am studying ahead of schooling in my first English class in 20 years!   I took notes through out, quotes and researched.  I hope you all who make it through enjoy it as much as I did writing it.

Ok, 11:30pm and I am finished with The Fountainhead.  The review is quite long, but I'd appreciate comments on the language as well, as I am studying ahead of schooling in my first English class in 20 years!   I took notes through out, quotes and researched.  I hope you all who make it through enjoy it as much as I did writing it.

Well done on finishing the book! :D I'll get to reading the review later. 

I think I've found a book that might be able to fight the battle with my mojo  :hide:  It's Where'd You Go, Bernadette, by Maria Semple. I think I have to re-read what I read of it last night in bed, because I think I need to make notes of the different names of characters, but otherwise ... I was engaged! Poppyshake knows best  :flowers2:

I think I've found a book that might be able to fight the battle with my mojo  :hide:  It's Where'd You Go, Bernadette, by Maria Semple. I think I have to re-read what I read of it last night in bed, because I think I need to make notes of the different names of characters, but otherwise ... I was engaged! Poppyshake knows best  :flowers2:

That's great! I have the book on my wishlist. I hope your mojo will keep up :).

I can't believe it's August already. I'm currently reading Madness and Civilization by Michel Foucault. I've acquired an interest in Medical Anthropology recently so have had a lot of fun buying books like:

• History of Madness by Michel Foucault
  • The Impact of Culture on Human Experience by Liah Greenfield
  • Steps to an Ecology of Mind by Gregory Bateson
Only problem is that these books can become a bit dense so I'm trying to find a nice fictional novel to read side by side. I've recently joined an online classics group and I think we'll be reading The Stranger by Albert Camus next. :) Edited by Angury

I finished 'American Gods' by Neil Gaiman in the early hours of this morning and then started 'Anansi Boys' also by Neil Gaiman. :)

I can't believe it's August already. I'm currently reading Madness and Civilization by Michel Foucault. I've acquired an interest in Medical Anthropology recently so have had a lot of fun buying books like:

• History of Madness by Michel Foucault
  • The Impact of Culture on Human Experience by Liah Greenfield
  • Steps to an Ecology of Mind by Gregory Bateson
Only problem is that these books can become a bit dense so I'm trying to find a nice fictional novel to read side by side. I've recently joined an online classics group and I think we'll be reading The Stranger by Albert Camus next. :)

It sounds like some heavy reading, I hope you enjoy your new books :).

I finished 'American Gods' by Neil Gaiman in the early hours of this morning and then started 'Anansi Boys' also by Neil Gaiman. :)

What did you think of American Gods? I hope you enjoy Anansi Boys too. I recently read my first Neil Gaiman book and I really liked it. I plan to buy/read more of them.

Started Little Sacrifices by Jamie Scott today (this is the pen name for Michele Gorman).  I've enjoyed her romcoms but this is a historical fiction piece, set in the 1940s in Savannah and feels like a bit of a detour from my usual reading, but I'm enjoying it so far.  I suspect the simmering tension is waiting to erupt ...

I've finished Summer House With Swimming Pool by Herman Koch (same author as The Dinner), and have started The Mad and The Bad by Jean-Patrick Manchette.  Translated from the French by Donald Nicholson-Smith.   It's a New York Review Book and the introduction is by James Sallis.....one of my favorites. :)

I'll work on a review of the Koch book and post later.

I just started "To kill a mockingbird" by Harper Lee... the first chapter didn't give me a good impression, reminded me Mark Twain too much (and I don't like Mark Twain at all). Hope it's just an impression  :P

I haven't read anything by Mark Twain yet, but I liked To Kill a Mockingbird when I read it for English class at secondary school. I don't remember much of it nowadays though. I hope you enjoy it more later on. 

Finished The Mad and The Bad by Jean-Patrick Manchette, and have started The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro. Gripping so far.

Guillermo Del Toro.. that name sounds very familiar. Is he the same person as the famous movie director?

I've read seven volumes in the Kare Kano: His and Her Circumstances series by Matsumi Tsuda. I'm going to continue re-reading the series. Afterwards, or perhaps during, I'm going to read a book that doesn't have pictures in it. I'm thinking of perhaps trying to reread Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson but it depends how I feel later on. I also might read an information book on ADD that I bought for my Kindle yesterday.

Everyone appears to have their bookworm badges firmly attached for the beginning of August. I see some great books mentioned above; The Stranger, American Gods, Anansi Boys, To Kill A Mocking Bird. Happy reading everyone. :)

During my time away I managed to finish An Irish Country Doctor by Patrick Taylor and Peter Robinson's Piece of My heart. I also managed to complete Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code, and start J.R.R. Tolkien's The Silmarillion.

I haven't read anything by Mark Twain yet, but I liked To Kill a Mockingbird when I read it for English class at secondary school. I don't remember much of it nowadays though. I hope you enjoy it more later on. 

Here in Italy To kill a mockingbird is not regarded as a "classical" novel, so we don't read it in school. I only discovered his existance some days ago, thanks to Amazon warehouse deals!

I read some more chapters yesterday, and I'm starting to like it... hopefully the Mark Twain resemblance has gone away!

Everyone appears to have their bookworm badges firmly attached for the beginning of August. I see some great books mentioned above; The Stranger, American Gods, Anansi Boys, To Kill A Mocking Bird. Happy reading everyone. :)

During my time away I managed to finish An Irish Country Doctor by Patrick Taylor and Peter Robinson's Piece of My heart. I also managed to complete Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code, and start J.R.R. Tolkien's The Silmarillion.

I absolutely want to know your opinion about The Silmarillion  :P  

It's one of Tolkien's most complex works, but also the most important. Only it's a bit heavy to read, so many people don't appreciate it. 

I loved Where'd You Go, Bernadette. :smile:  It's just the right mix of quirky, humor and seriousness.

I'm about a quarter of the way through The Discovery of Witches. I'm trying to figure out where the story is heading, as not much is happening at the moment. That doesn't mean I'm not enjoying it, but I sense there's a lot more to come.

I'm about a quarter of the way through The Discovery of Witches. I'm trying to figure out where the story is heading, as not much is happening at the moment. That doesn't mean I'm not enjoying it, but I sense there's a lot more to come.

There is, there is … ;)

I've been listening to some more of The Enchanted April by Elizabeth Von Armin, read by Eleanor Bron. I've read the book before, and seen the film, and am thoroughly enjoying revisiting it with the audiobook. :smile2:

I also managed a few more chapters of Little Sacrifices by Jamie Scott (aka Michele Gorman) and I'm enjoying it, but I need to settle down to it so that I can get to the nitty gritty. :D

Edited by chesilbeach

I just started "To kill a mockingbird" by Harper Lee... the first chapter didn't give me a good impression, reminded me Mark Twain too much (and I don't like Mark Twain at all). Hope it's just an impression  :P

That's an interesting comparison. I never really liked Mark Twain either, but I have gone/still go to school in Missouri so Mark Twain is a big deal. I liked To Kill A Mockingbird and the only similarities I can think of is that they both talk about southern life. Other than that, I think TKAM is far better. :D

I absolutely want to know your opinion about The Silmarillion  :P  

It's one of Tolkien's most complex works, but also the most important. Only it's a bit heavy to read, so many people don't appreciate it. 

After reading all other Tolkien works...so far I can only compare reading his 'encyclopedian' work The Silmarillion with a winter's midnight trip to the bathroom. Reluctant, bemoaned, but necessary. ;)