Need Suggestions

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't even think about Gone with the Wind! Thank you for that suggestion. I've always wanted to read it but its so long its scary. 

I didn't even think it was that long.  I think it took me just over a week and I think you read faster than I do!

Good to see you back around- I was thinking about you with Ferguson in the news so much.  It must be crazy.

Edited by Anna Begins

I didn't even think it was that long.  I think it took me just over a week and I think you read faster than I do!

Good to see you back around- I was thinking about you with Ferguson in the news so much.  It must be crazy.

Yes a little bit. Luckily I'm away at school, so I'm not even in the area. My family knows a couple people there so it's been scary and we've been thinking about them a lot. 

For some reason I've always thought of Gone with the Wind as long, but that might be because I tried to read it in 8th grade. :lol:

Yes a little bit. Luckily I'm away at school, so I'm not even in the area. My family knows a couple people there so it's been scary and we've been thinking about them a lot. 

For some reason I've always thought of Gone with the Wind as long, but that might be because I tried to read it in 8th grade. :lol:

Glad you aren't in all that mess!  It seems to be calming down now though.  At least, as far as our media is concerned (now it's all the earthquake).

:D Ya, GWTW might have been a bit difficult at 8th grade lol

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you aren't in all that mess!  It seems to be calming down now though.  At least, as far as our media is concerned (now it's all the earthquake).

:D Ya, GWTW might have been a bit difficult at 8th grade lol

Not difficult to read, but more daunting because of its size. I read at a high school level in 3rd grade. In 4th grade our reading test thingy made a list of recommended books and one of the books it recommended me was The Great Gatsby :lol:

• 9 months later...

Okay, so I'm going to ask again. Most of the earlier suggestions were historical fiction type books, and I still have them saved as books I want to read. However I want to ask once again for some suggestions. What are the good books you have read recently? Any type of fiction or if the non-fiction was outstanding that's good too. 

Romance novels, thrillers, mystery, courtroom. Anything. Throw it at me! 

Two books that I have read and really enjoyed this year, 

We Were Liars by E Lockhart

The Guardian newspaper (UK) describes it as cool, bitter and brutal, this compelling short novel casts a dispassionate eye on the insular world of the American oligarchy

You are compelled to read on as the hints and clues to what is going on and was going on are intriguing. It is beautifully written, being both descriptive and refreshing. 

No Good Deed By Manda Scott

(From my review) Orla McLeod knows too much about violence for her own good. She knows about pain and how to inflict it, she knows about guilt and she knows about survival. Dark, gritty and tender, Orla makes a great heroine, with her passion and determination and her ability to hear the statements made in between the words being spoken. She is desperately flawed, and all the better for it. A twisty turny read that never lets you lose track.

Good luck finding something that appeals.  :smile: 

Two vastly different suggestions but 2 of my most favorite books I've read in a very long time:

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

In the year 2044, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he's jacked into the virtual utopia known as the OASIS. Wade's devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world's digital confines—puzzles that are based on their creator's obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them. 
But when Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. The race is on, and if Wade's going to survive, he'll have to win—and confront the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.

The Last Runaway by Tracy Chevalier

Ohio 1850. For a modest English Quaker stranded far from home, life is a trial. Untethered from the moment she leaves England, fleeing personal disappointment, Honor Bright is forced by family tragedy to rely on strangers in an alien, untamed landscape. Drawn into the clandestine activities of the Underground Railroad, a network helping runaway slaves escape to freedom, Honor befriends two exceptional people who embody the startling power of defiance. Eventually she must decide if she too can act on what she believes in, whatever the personal cost. 

Two books that I have read and really enjoyed this year, 

We Were Liars by E Lockhart

The Guardian newspaper (UK) describes it as cool, bitter and brutal, this compelling short novel casts a dispassionate eye on the insular world of the American oligarchy

You are compelled to read on as the hints and clues to what is going on and was going on are intriguing. It is beautifully written, being both descriptive and refreshing. 

No Good Deed By Manda Scott

(From my review) Orla McLeod knows too much about violence for her own good. She knows about pain and how to inflict it, she knows about guilt and she knows about survival. Dark, gritty and tender, Orla makes a great heroine, with her passion and determination and her ability to hear the statements made in between the words being spoken. She is desperately flawed, and all the better for it. A twisty turny read that never lets you lose track.

Good luck finding something that appeals.  :smile: 

Two vastly different suggestions but 2 of my most favorite books I've read in a very long time:

In the year 2044, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he's jacked into the virtual utopia known as the OASIS. Wade's devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world's digital confines—puzzles that are based on their creator's obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them. 

But when Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. The race is on, and if Wade's going to survive, he'll have to win—and confront the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.

The Last Runaway by Tracy Chevalier

Ohio 1850. For a modest English Quaker stranded far from home, life is a trial. Untethered from the moment she leaves England, fleeing personal disappointment, Honor Bright is forced by family tragedy to rely on strangers in an alien, untamed landscape. Drawn into the clandestine activities of the Underground Railroad, a network helping runaway slaves escape to freedom, Honor befriends two exceptional people who embody the startling power of defiance. Eventually she must decide if she too can act on what she believes in, whatever the personal cost. 

Thank you for these wonderful suggestions! All of them sound wonderful! They will be a couple of my next holds from the library as long as my library actually has them *fingers crossed* :lol:

I loved Ready Player One, so I'd highly recommend it!

Thank you :D

I Am Pilgrim was a standout read for me last year. It's a fast-paced spy thriller and oh so good.

Ooh. That sounds interesting :) And thrilling :lol:

Brilliant book  :D

That's three recommendations already. I'm very excited to read it now :D

I think it's one of those books that you probably get the most from if you're familiar with all the pop culture references from the 70s and 80s - which I was - but I'd imagine the story is still great fun if you're not.  I wrote a review of it here if you're interested  :smile:

I think it's one of those books that you probably get the most from if you're familiar with all the pop culture references from the 70s and 80s - which I was - but I'd imagine the story is still great fun if you're not.  I wrote a review of it here if you're interested  :smile:

I might not get all of them, but I'm sure I will know a few. Hopefully that doesn't take away from the book. :)