Book suitable for my whole family

A bit of an odd question, but I'll just get straight to it.

I'm looking for a book that me, my sister and my Mum will all enjoy.

Me: I'm 19 years old. I read far less often than I should but I really want to start reading more. It doesn't have a preferred genre of book (although I'm not keen on fantasy, sci-fi, historical or war books). I don't want something totally mindless (my taste in movies veers more towards arthouse/indie type stuff, and although I don't read much I reckon my taste in books would follow a similar path) but nothing too convoluted or pretentious. If it's considered a good book by critics and has decent characters/plot then I'm up for trying it

Sister: She's a 14 year old angsty teen. She likes the John Green books, the Divergent series, and typical teenagery stuff. She's a bit of a tomboy, I wouldn't sya we need something that would be considered 'a boys book' or 'a girls book'. She's probably average at reading for her age, so she can deal with most things that aren't too heavy to read. Don't worry about things being 'inappropriate'. I'm not really looking for a kdis/young adult book, more likely an adult book that a teenager might enjoy.

Mum: She's 50 years old, and all of her favourite books (as far as I can tell), seem to be about a depressed girl. Little will happen in the book and then the girl will die at the end. That's a bit of a running joke and obviously a gross oversimplification. She's not interested in thrillers or fantasy or any books where the stories are big and action packed. She likes slower, emotional reads. Most of the books she reads looks as though they appeal to women more than men.

SO! That's us. Can you find something we will all enjoy? I was thinking maybe a comedy, but I'm not sure. This is not the sort of thing I can Google, so I was looking to see if any books you guys know and love might fit the criteria. Hope this isn't too difficult! If you can think of something that only 2 of us would enjoy or are unsure about one of us then let me know anyway. THANK YOU!

Anything Jane Austen. It's a bit historical, but not too much. The point of the novels are ageless. In Pride & Prejudice, the main characters want to break free from the old and be more modern and true to themselves. Until the main characters reach that point, they aren't fulfilled, and yes, even depressed. Elizabeth is a little bit of a tomboy compared to her sisters. Jane Austen of course tend to appeal more to women than men. 

Classics are probably the best for different generations. They tend to be universal, ageless and terrific. 

My sister's keeper by Jodi Picoult is a strong novel about illness and family (sisters/parents), and how far someone is prepare to sacrifice. I would think this is a kind of novel that your family can have lots of discussions about after reading. She's also written a novel called The pact, and a girl dies in that one. ;)

Toni Morrison's Beloved is a very sad story about a girl who has not had an easy life, to say the least

1984 by George Orwell is just terrific for any person IMO.

Meg Cabot novels

Little women by Louisa May Alcott

Remember me this way by Sabine Durrant about a young woman who discovers that she may not have known her dead husband as well as she thought

The perks of being a wallflower by Stephen Chbosky about growing up as a bit of an outsider

I'm going to echo the recommendations for My Sister's Keeper and The Pact, since I loved both of these and think you and your family will like them. I also liked The Perks of Being a Wallflower though I didn't love it like I did the Jodi Picoult novels.

I dunno about your mom and Perks of Being a Wallflower- although it sounds like you and your sister would like it very much.  I recommend Catherine Ryan Hyde's books, especially Don't Let Me Go.  I think all 3 of you would like it.  But I am on a slight Catherine Ryan Hyde obsession atm.  And unlike Perks, it is not a YA book, but appropriate for one older, it's for any age.  I also second Beloved by Toni Morrison.

Edited by Anna Begins

I would recommend To Kill A Mockingbird which is a wonderful book and I would think it would appeal to adults and teenagers alike. Also Watership Down is an old favourite of mine and again I think it has cross-age appeal. I was going to suggest Room by Emma Donahue but I wouldn't know if it was age appropriate for a 14 year old as the themes are quite tricky even though it's all very well handled by the author. Maybe one of the mum's who've read it would have an opinion on that?

Edited by ~Andrea~

Maybe you should look at Haruki Murakami's books. They have that little bit of everything quality to them that might appeal.