Where do you get most recommendations that you buy?

From where do you get most book recommendations that you actually end up buying?

For me, it's probably via TV-shows. Like one of the morning shows on TV where they now and then have guests recommending books and their favorites. Last time that happened was this morning. :) 

Oh gosh, here, mostly.  And Amazon.  That's all I need!  My Kindle Samples pile up and I can't read fast enough! :readingtwo:  I also like the book reviews in BBC Magazine and book lists like " The 50 greatest books of all time", The Big Read, etc.

Edited by Anna Begins

Like almost everyone else has said, I come to BCF to discuss and read about books with like minded people, so a lot of my recommendations come from here. I appreciate that the forum has other areas to chat about other things and that some members visit for the chat, but the main focus for me is to discuss books and find out from other readers I trust what books are worth spending my hard earned cash on, and after getting to know people here, I know which members are likely to recommend a book I'll enjoy.

I do occasionally buy books from radio programme recommendations, but I don't the people who are reviewing them, so it's more difficult to judge whether it's really a book for me.

• 3 weeks later...

To be honest, the only place on the internet where I get reading recommendations is the reading lists/blogs section on this site.  I don't always comment on people's lists, but I read a lot of them and often make a note of interesting sounding books.

Apart from that, I tend to find books I want just from browsing in bookshops, or if I really enjoy a book by a particular author, I'll have a look and see what else they've written.

• 3 weeks later...

On here, the book club tv show that airs here, and amazon recommends. Sometimes goodreads. :)

Edited by Devi

From everywhere. I read some books because they were mentioned here and on other forums. Sometimes I just happen to see a book in a shop or a library and it's subject or title will get my attention. Then there are various kinds of advertisements, either on tv or somewhere else. Our local paper has a small weekly section discussing one book, something like 'book of the week' sort of thing. 

• 1 month later...

I have to say that I pride in saving money, so I look for sales, second-hand bookshops etc. For instance I like I found a good book about traveling with recipes and a fascinating story plot!  But I will definietly use your advice and read New York Times Bestseller List more often.

Edited by chesilbeach
Removed promotional link