Rare book help

Anna Begins

I am looking for a nice edition of The Count of Monte Cristo for my mom for Christmas.  I have to start looking and saving now. 

So I am looking in the $200 range.  Can anyone tell me what to look for?  I found a beautiful one from circa 1915- which would be neat because it would be just 6 days shy of 100 years old when I give it to her.  What I'd really like is one from 1913 or 1914 but have been really unlucky so far with this whole thing. 

But as far as condition and copywrights, etc I'm just not sure.  Any advice?  Anyone collect books?

This is the one from circa 1915 (does that mean it IS from 1915?)

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=12331102326&searchurl=an%3Ddumas%26amp%3Bfe%3Don%26amp%3Bpics%3Don%26amp%3Btn%3Dcount%2Bof%2Bmonte%2Bcristo

Oddly, I have had trouble finding rare or collectable sites or shops that sell them.  I could go through a UK dealer (as the one above) if they ship to the US. 

I've noticed that some of the older books (100 y.o. and more)  I have don't have publication dates.  So, maybe for some reason unbeknownst to civilians book sellers just know when a certain look was published, but not exactly.  Hence the "circa". 

I've noticed that some of the older books (100 y.o. and more)  I have don't have publication dates.  So, maybe for some reason unbeknownst to civilians book sellers just know when a certain look was published, but not exactly.  Hence the "circa". 

Gotcha.  While a tad disappointing, it's more than I knew before!  That volume is gorgeous though.

It is disappointing, I'd really like to date some of mine.  They were my great-grandfather's, and the only way I can "ballpark" the date is by his inscription in the front.  And he didn't do that 100%.

I went to an amazing bookshop this year which might be able to help, they have a pretty big collection of antiquarian books, and they're lovely people. They don't have a website but they have a page on abebooks which I'll link you to. You would have to check if they ship to America but I'd say it's worth phoning them. Even if they don't have anything they might be able to help you find what you're looking for :smile:

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/Bosco-Books-Looe%2C-Cornwall/695623/sf

I went to an amazing bookshop this year which might be able to help, they have a pretty big collection of antiquarian books, and they're lovely people. They don't have a website but they have a page on abebooks which I'll link you to. You would have to check if they ship to America but I'd say it's worth phoning them. Even if they don't have anything they might be able to help you find what you're looking for :smile:

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/Bosco-Books-Looe%2C-Cornwall/695623/sf

Thanks so much!  I contacted the seller... we shall see :smile:

It's not an old edition but I'd recommend the folio version:

$_35.JPG

It is a gorgeous edition with some brilliant full page illustrations. It's out of print now but you may find it on ebay or something

That's gorgeous!  I will definitely keep looking and keep my eyes open for that edition for prices- I haven't seen it yet.  I have seen a beautiful copy in blue with 22k gold accents from 2003, but it's more than I want to spend and not exactly what I'm looking for.  I think she'd like the one above though- thanks!

Edited by Anna Begins

Holy moly!  I just found it!  It's a good price too.  And it's far below my price range.  Thanks again, Tim. 

I also have my eye on this one:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=13080154122&searchurl=bsi%3D60%26amp%3Bprl%3D10.00%26amp%3Brecentlyadded%3Dall%26amp%3Bsortby%3D1%26amp%3Btn%3Dthe%2Bcount%2Bof%2Bmonte%2Bcristo%26amp%3Bx%3D0%26amp%3By%3D0

But it is more than I wanted to spend, plus more, for shipping from the UK. 

Edited by Anna Begins

I think the oldest book I have is from 1954 but I'm not sure.

Oddly enough, the year after her birth :smile:   By now, I've looked and bookmarked so many different versions!  I am trying to make up my mind now between Tim's suggested copy or the link above.  One is $50 more than I wanted to spend, but Tim's is in the right area- and I can get that one through an Amazon bookstore, not just Abe Books, which I found a tad sketchy after contacting some for more info.