September 2014 Reading Circle Poll

September Reading Circle  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which Book should we read?

• I, Cladius - Robert Graves
    • Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter - Seth Grahame-Smith
    • Mr Chartwell - Rebecca Hunt
    • Fire from Heaven - Mary Renault

The topic for September is Historical Figures and we have a great range of nominations.

I, Cladius by Robert Graves

Despised for his weakness and regarded by his family as little more than a stammering fool, the nobleman Claudius quietly survives the intrigues, bloody purges and mounting cruelty of the imperial Roman dynasties. In I, Claudius he watches from the sidelines to record the reigns of its emperors: from the wise Augustus and his villainous wife Livia to the sadistic Tiberius and the insane excesses of Caligula. Written in the form of Claudius' autobiography, this is the first part of Robert Graves's brilliant account of the madness and debauchery of ancient Rome, and stands as one of the most celebrated, gripping historical novels ever written.

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith

Indiana, 1818. Moonlight falls through the dense woods that surround a one-room cabin, where a nine-year-old Abraham Lincoln kneels at his suffering mother's bedside. She's been stricken with something the old-timers call "Milk Sickness".

"My baby boy." she whispers before dying.

Only later will the grieving Abe learn that his mother's fatal affliction was actually the work of a vampire.When the truth becomes known to young Lincoln, he writes in his journal, "henceforth my life shall be one of rigorous study and devotion. I shall become a master of mind and body. And this mastery shall have but one purpose."

Gifted with his legendary height, strength, and skill with an axe, Abe sets out on a path of vengeance that will lead him all the way to the White House.While Abraham Lincoln is widely lauded for saving a Union and freeing millions of slaves, his valiant fight against the forces of the undead has remained in the shadows for hundreds of years.

Mr Chartwell by Rebecca Hunt

July, 1964.
In bed at home in Kent, Winston Churchill is waking up. There's a visitor in the room, someone he hasn't seen for a while, a dark, mute bulk, watching him with tortured concentration.
It's Mr Chartwell.

In her terraced house in Battersea, Esther Hammerhans, young, vulnerable and alone, goes to answer the door to her new lodger. Through the glass she sees a vast silhouette the size of a mattress.
It's Mr Chartwell.

He is charismatic and dangerously seductive, and Esther and Winston Churchill are drawn together by his dark influence. But can they withstand Mr Chartwell's strange, powerful charms and strong hold? Can they even explain to anyone who or what he is? Or why he has come to visit?
For Mr Chartwell is a huge, black dog.

Fire from Heaven by Mary Renault

At twenty, when his reign began, Alexander the Great was already a seasoned soldier and a complex, passionate man. Fire From Heaven tells the story of the boy Alexander, and the years that shaped him. Resolute, fearless, and inheriting a striking beauty, Alexander still needed much to make him The Great. He must survive - though with lifelong scars - the dark furies of his Dionysiac mother, who kept him uncertain even of his own paternity; respect his father's talent for war and kingcraft, though sickened by his sexual grossness; and come to terms with his heritage from both.

Edited by Timstar

Tough call - I had to toss a coin to decide between I, Claudius and Abraham Lincoln. In the end, Claudius won it, but I would have been happy either way (especially as I've read them both and loved them!). I also have Wolf Hall on Mount TBR, but I fear with it being such a thick book, and us due to start renovating our new home some time in September, I may not have time to read it in time if it wins!

Tough for me too.  I like Abraham Lincoln and Wolf Hall- which is on my TBR list for this year.  Abe would just be a re-read.  Although a really good one.  Hm...

Ok, I've listed 15 books in my thread I want to get to over the next few months and I don't think I will be able to get to an epic like Wolf Hall.  I think the easiest for me is a re-read and a good one at that, so my vote goes to Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

While Wolf Hall is a long book, it's an easy read.  It went fairly quickly for me.  I don't say this to move any votes, just for future reference for readers. :)

While Wolf Hall is a long book, it's an easy read.  It went fairly quickly for me.  I don't say this to move any votes, just for future reference for readers. :)

Oh I'll definitely read it... this year I plan, in fact. (That last part is kinda Yoda lol )

This year I plan, I will read it :giggle2:

Sorry, just being silly.

Just read Hilary Mantel (Wolf Hall) will have a piece on Thomas Cromwell in September's BBC Magazine.  It comes out August 14th.

Edited by Anna Begins