Malazan: Book of the Fallen - Read or Re-read

Timstar

For those of you who don't know, Malazan: Book of the Fallen is an epic fantasy series written by Steven Erikson and Ian C. Esslemont currently comprising of 17 novels and 4 novellas with still more to come.

The novels themselves are pretty hefty and the main series is made up of 10 books totalling ~3.3m words. In itself this is pretty daunting, but the books don't follow a linear narrative but occur at different times and on different continents and what happened in one book might have no relevance in the events of another.

A good summary of the series without spoilers can be found here.

Reading this series entirely is certainly a challenge, and I know there are others who are keen to re-read the series so this thread can be used to follow our progress. This series comes highly recommended by many fantasy lovers so if anyone feels brave enough to join in please do!

The first book in the series is Gardens of the Moon (although there are alternative starting points) and I started it this week.

Wish me luck!

There will be no spoilers in this thread so read on without fear. There will be a separate topic for each novel to discuss in depth:

Gardens of the Moon

Edited by Timstar

Good luck!  :smile:   I'm kind of envious that you're getting to read this for the first time, cos I remember how enthralling and thrilling I found it all.  Mind you, I get excited about the prospect of a re-read, too  :giggle2:    I have a tattered copy of Gardens of the Moon in my desk drawer, so I've had to take it out and have a glance through it.

Now these ashes have grown cold, we open the old book.

Always gives me goosebumps!  :D

Did your library copy include SE's introduction?

Did your library copy include SE's introduction?

Yeah it did, 'twas very interesting :nod:

Now these ashes have grown cold, we open the old book.

Always gives me goosebumps!  :D

:D

Good luck Tim! I wish I was in a stable state of life, I could try and join you, but my mojo's just not there. Not here, either. I do have a copy but ... :giggle:

I hope you enjoy the series! :smile2:

Oh that's a shame, hope it comes back soon! :empathy:

Yeah it did, 'twas very interesting :nod:

It was that intro that inspired me to start writing again, after a long time.  I'm kind of hoping that re-reading the series - if and when I do - might get the creative juices going again :smile:

Good luck Tim :)! I might give it a go soon, I'm having some mojo trouble though and while my current book is okay it's not really grabbing me to be honest. I'm also kind of busy with moving so I guess maybe that's why my mind isn't so much into reading :shrug:. But the least I could do is get the book off the shelf. I could do with reading some more fantasy..

I hope you enjoy the book, I look forward to hear what you think, Tim :).

EDIT: I just read the first page, there were a couple of words that were unfamiliar to me but overall I think I understood the rest of it (I don't normally stop reading and look up words unless it's really important or if I'm on the Kindle, where it's easy to do that).

Edited by Athena

It was that intro that inspired me to start writing again, after a long time.  I'm kind of hoping that re-reading the series - if and when I do - might get the creative juices going again :smile:

corrected that for you Steve :D Hope it works!

Good luck Tim :)! I might give it a go soon, I'm having some mojo trouble though and while my current book is okay it's not really grabbing me to be honest. I'm also kind of busy with moving so I guess maybe that's why my mind isn't so much into reading :shrug:. But the least I could do is get the book off the shelf. I could do with reading some more fantasy..

I hope you enjoy the book, I look forward to hear what you think, Tim :).

I put off trying to get anything read whilst moving, it can be so stressful. 6 weeks later I keep finding jobs I need to do, changing addresses and paying bills etc.. but I hope you can find some time and mojo soon!

Are we going to talk about each book in detail in this thread?

Yeah! I'll start. Gardens of the Moon: it's about...erm...stuff...I think...? :lol:

But seriously I don't know if it would be better to use tonnes of spoiler tags or a new thread for each book... :shrug:

Yeah! I'll start. Gardens of the Moon: it's about...erm...stuff...I think...? :lol:

But seriously I don't know if it would be better to use tonnes of spoiler tags or a new thread for each book... :shrug:

Could do the latter, if the mods are happy for us to do it that way :shrug:

So to those who have read at least the main series, what would you say are the top 3 books of the canon?

Only three??!  :lol:

The first time I read The Bonehunters it totally blew me away - I read the last 200 pages in one or two sittings because it was so exciting.  Deadhouse Gates introduces some of my favourite characters (especially Mappo and Icarium) and ... well, I don't want to spoil anything.  Memories of Ice is stunningly good, and seems to be many people's favourite.  K'Chain Che'Malle, that's all I'm saying.  And then there's the opening two or three hundred pages of House of Chains, which is just relentless.  But I think, since my last re-read, the one that stays with me the most is Midnight Tides.  It introduces a whole new a new storyline and also some of the series' best characters.  Tehol and Bugg - remember those names :D

Just thinking about all that has got me excited about reading them again :exc:  :lol:

I put off trying to get anything read whilst moving, it can be so stressful. 6 weeks later I keep finding jobs I need to do, changing addresses and paying bills etc.. but I hope you can find some time and mojo soon!

Thanks Tim :).

How far into the book are you now?

The first time I read The Bonehunters it totally blew me away - I read the last 200 pages in one or two sittings because it was so exciting.  Deadhouse Gates introduces some of my favourite characters (especially Mappo and Icarium) and ... well, I don't want to spoil anything.  Memories of Ice is stunningly good, and seems to be many people's favourite.  K'Chain Che'Malle, that's all I'm saying.  And then there's the opening two or three hundred pages of House of Chains, which is just relentless.  But I think, since my last re-read, the one that stays with me the most is Midnight Tides.  It introduces a whole new a new storyline and also some of the series' best characters.  Tehol and Bugg - remember those names :D

I will :) I picked up the book again straight after reading this and read 'K'Chain Che'Malle' but still don't know what it/he/she is!

How far into the book are you now?

Just got to page 400 of 700. :D

I will :) I picked up the book again straight after reading this and read 'K'Chain Che'Malle' but still don't know what it/he/she is!

And you won't for a while yet, but it's worth the wait :smile:

Just got to page 400 of 700. :D

Blimey, you're flying through it :smile:

Great thread Tim! So glad you're actually enjoying GotM. :)

Thought I'd list the 10 main books in order just for convenience's sake (although there are alternative reading orders if you prefer):

Gardens of the Moon

Deadhouse Gates

Memories of Ice

House of Chains

Midnight Tides

The Bonehunters

Reaper's Gale

Toll the Hounds

Dust of Dreams

The Crippled God

:)

Spoiler tags can be a real pain. I'd say a new thread for each book. :yes:

So to those who have read at least the main series, what would you say are the top 3 books of the canon?

I like Memories of Ice (#3) a LOT - it truly is epic. And Midnight Tides is fantastic too.

Last time I re-read the series, I read all 10 books in sequence over the summer holidays, and the sequence of books 5, 6 and 7 (Midnight Tides, Bonehunters and Reaper's Gale) read back-to-back made for some truly awesome reading. He has an amazing way of building momentum and setting up convergences . . . it's brilliant. :D

• 3 weeks later...