What's up in July?

pontalba

I'll cool down you hot people up north.  We've been freezing down here.  -4C most of last week.  Even in winter that's really cold for us.  Very thick fog, too, which is not normal.  It warmed up a little today, managed to reach 10C.  

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor you, bookmonkey! Just been out and about, and it's too hot for me. Sat in front of the fan with the Commonwealth Games on the telly, and just watched England trounce Wales in the Netball, and an amazing ride from Jo Rowsell in the velodrome. Putting the telly on mute now so that I can do a bit of reading.   :readingtwo: 

Continuing my run of excellent news, I managed to secure a last-minute transfer in my job after all! I go back to work in my local branch of WH next Friday, which is one week after my maternity leave finishes, which is great, because I just took a week of holiday pay because I though I was leaving the company! The timing couldn't have been better if I'd planned it myself! :)

This now means we'll have a bit more money to spare once we've moved, so we're about to feel like we're minted - LOL!

Drove to the state capital today to see my doctor and get Luka groomed... it was 107F!  Here, it is only 97 :P (107 is about 42C).  It's an hour and 20 minute drive, one way.  I am exhausted!  Had a major panic attack on the way.  So glad to be back home.  :hide:

Glad to hear it's all working out for you Kell, with the move and the job transfer. That's why sometimes working for a larger company can be advantageous.

It has been so hot here this week - up to 30 degrees in places, and working outdoors in a manual job like I have has not been fun, especially since the second housekeeper has had a few days off leaving me all on my own. Still, he needs to take his holiday like everyone else.  

Our wedding invites have mostly been sent out now so there is not much more to do apart from paying for it all. We do though need to get together with Corans best friend Sarah at some point who is conducting the blessing. We have decided on more or less what we want and chosen all the music, it's just putting the flesh on the bones. We don't have much planned though for this weekend, apart from food shopping and having our hairs cut - I am having some lowlights put in now I am getting a bit older and greyer - soon I will be 50 shades of grey ! :giggle2:  

*pokes her nose in*

I'm not sure if it is appropriate for me to be posting in here being a 'newbie'...I must own I did enjoy reading through the thread and getting to know those that have posted in here a little better, and lovely photos muggle!

My July has zoomed by. Full of hustle and bustle. I have a newly purchased little cottage that I moved into no more than 4 weeks ago. I'm still living out of boxes and suit cases, but seem to have little time to unpack and find homes for all my possessions, and I have no idea when I will find the time to tackle the renovation work needing to be done as I'm out to sea with my work for three days the day after tomorrow.

Perhaps by Christmas I'll have my toaster, kettle, and books unpack. Or maybe by Easter next year. :D

Everyone's welcome to post here, Jones, it's just a thread for everyone to catch up with the day to day stuff. :D Just curious, what will you do at sea?

I've been suckered into watching the Commonwealth Games the last few days, and watched a stunning netball match this morning between England and Australia, with England playing amazing netball throughout the game, and only losing the lead in the dying seconds of the game to lose by one point. Heartbreaking, but a fantastic performance gives me hope for the rest of the tournament. Been a busy morning, as have also done the shopping, visited my Dad and read a chapter of my book. Going to try and do a bit of housework this afternoon, while keeping an eye on the rest of the games at Glasgow.

Note: I had to remove some emoticons.

Continuing my run of excellent news, I managed to secure a last-minute transfer in my job after all! I go back to work in my local branch of WH next Friday, which is one week after my maternity leave finishes, which is great, because I just took a week of holiday pay because I though I was leaving the company! The timing couldn't have been better if I'd planned it myself!

Congratulations Kell :)!

Drove to the state capital today to see my doctor and get Luka groomed... it was 107F!  Here, it is only 97 (107 is about 42C).  It's an hour and 20 minute drive, one way.  I am exhausted!  Had a major panic attack on the way.  So glad to be back home.

I'm glad you're back home!

It has been so hot here this week - up to 30 degrees in places, and working outdoors in a manual job like I have has not been fun, especially since the second housekeeper has had a few days off leaving me all on my own. Still, he needs to take his holiday like everyone else.  

Our wedding invites have mostly been sent out now so there is not much more to do apart from paying for it all. We do though need to get together with Corans best friend Sarah at some point who is conducting the blessing. We have decided on more or less what we want and chosen all the music, it's just putting the flesh on the bones. We don't have much planned though for this weekend, apart from food shopping and having our hairs cut - I am having some lowlights put in now I am getting a bit older and greyer - soon I will be 50 shades of grey !

Yes, it has been hot here too! I heard Wednesday it was the hottest day in the UK. 

My July has zoomed by. Full of hustle and bustle. I have a newly purchased little cottage that I moved into no more than 4 weeks ago. I'm still living out of boxes and suit cases, but seem to have little time to unpack and find homes for all my possessions, and I have no idea when I will find the time to tackle the renovation work needing to be done as I'm out to sea with my work for three days the day after tomorrow.

Perhaps by Christmas I'll have my toaster, kettle, and books unpack. Or maybe by Easter next year.

Good luck unpacking :)!

I've been suckered into watching the Commonwealth Games the last few days, and watched a stunning netball match this morning between England and Australia, with England playing amazing netball throughout the game, and only losing the lead in the dying seconds of the game to lose by one point. Heartbreaking, but a fantastic performance gives me hope for the rest of the tournament. Been a busy morning, as have also done the shopping, visited my Dad and read a chapter of my book. Going to try and do a bit of housework this afternoon, while keeping an eye on the rest of the games at Glasgow.[/font]

I'm glad you're having fun :).

I'm back from my trip to the UK and we're busy unpacking things. In the next week we'll be buying some book shelves / furniture, a fridge etc. I'm very tired from my trip.. I also started my new medication today but more on that later in my own member's thread (I will write some posts about it all and post some pictures). Now I'm going to take a break and relax while watching something on the newly unpacked TV.

Everyone's welcome to post here, Jones, it's just a thread for everyone to catch up with the day to day stuff. Just curious, what will you do at sea?

I've been suckered into watching the Commonwealth Games the last few days, and watched a stunning netball match this morning between England and Australia, with England playing amazing netball throughout the game, and only losing the lead in the dying seconds of the game to lose by one point. Heartbreaking, but a fantastic performance gives me hope for the rest of the tournament. Been a busy morning, as have also done the shopping, visited my Dad and read a chapter of my book. Going to try and do a bit of housework this afternoon, while keeping an eye on the rest of the games at Glasgow.

I didn't want to be stepping on anyone's toes in my first week here. :)

I've also being trying to catch as much as I can of the Commonwealth Games, I find them strangely addictive...as I do the Olympic Games. The netball game was brilliant and truth be told both sides deserve to win.

To answer your question, chesilbeach, I work in the fishing industry. My family (grandfather) owns a seafood business, and I work within that business; sometimes  out on one of our boats fishing--as I am tomorrow for a few days--other times in the office amongst the bookwork. I know it seems an unlikely occupation for a female in what is known as a largely male dominated field, and with the word 'fishing' conjuring images of big burly men...which I am neither, big or burly lol, I'm petite and definitely a girly girl, but I love the ocean, the work,  and I love being different.

Good luck unpacking :)!

I'm back from my trip to the UK and we're busy unpacking things. In the next week we'll be buying some book shelves / furniture, a fridge etc. I'm very tired from my trip.. I also started my new medication today but more on that later in my own member's thread (I will write some posts about it all and post some pictures). Now I'm going to take a break and relax while watching something on the newly unpacked TV.

Thank you. :)

You appear to be having a busy period at the moment, Athena, I do hope you find some downtime for yourself to re-energize your batteries. :)

Your post made me smile, Virginia. It surely flowed of energy and joy. :)

To answer your question, chesilbeach, I work in the fishing industry. My family (grandfather) owns a seafood business, and I work within that business; sometimes  out on one of our boats fishing--as I am tomorrow for a few days--other times in the office amongst the bookwork. I know it seems an unlikely occupation for a female in what is known as a largely male dominated field, and with the word 'fishing' conjuring images of big burly men...which I am neither, big or burly lol, I'm petite and definitely a girly girl, but I love the ocean, the work,  and I love being different.

That sounds like a great job, a mix of both being out on the water (albeit extremely hard work) and back in the office (hopefully with a view of the water!). I did an A level in Environmental Science at evening class a while back, and the marine science and fisheries section was the most interesting. I often wish I'd taken more of an interest in all the sciences at school and perhaps I would have gone to university to study some soft of marine biology, but I never felt a particular affinity for any specific subject, so just left school after A levels instead. I'm definitely a water person - I get twitchy if I'm too far from water, whether it's a river, lake or the sea - and I think now, if I was to return to education, I would be most interested in that area of study.

You appear to be having a busy period at the moment, Athena, I do hope you find some downtime for yourself to re-energize your batteries. :)

That sounds like a very interesting job :). And thanks, Jones :).

I've been busy unpacking and thinking about furniture. Unfortunately the book cases we wanted they're going to stop selling so they are not in stock and won't be coming back :(. We have managed to find others though, hopefully they will be in stock when we drive to the shop.

Every Monday for the last 4 weeks I have gone "blueberry" picking. Today was an excellent day as we had some rain last week which is good for the blueberries. I go on Mondays because picking isn't allowed on Sunday and there are more ripe berries. Today was almost like picking grapes. I would pick 3 - 4 at one time. They are a nice size and really sweet. I keep about two pounds each week for eating during the week on cereal at breakfast and freeze the remainder for use during the year.

I keep about two pounds each week for eating during the week on cereal at breakfast and freeze the remainder for use during the year.

Do you ever eat them frozen?  So yummy!

Every Monday for the last 4 weeks I have gone "blueberry" picking. Today was an excellent day as we had some rain last week which is good for the blueberries. I go on Mondays because picking isn't allowed on Sunday and there are more ripe berries. Today was almost like picking grapes. I would pick 3 - 4 at one time. They are a nice size and really sweet. I keep about two pounds each week for eating during the week on cereal at breakfast and freeze the remainder for use during the year.

That sounds very yummy!

Yesterday we bought lots of furniture and other things, including book cases. We (well, my boyfriend mainly) also made three of them so far and filled them with DVDs and video games (photos later, I need some good daylight for lighting). I also cleared out the shelves close to my desk, having one shelf for remaining DVDs and the other three to be filled with TBR books :exc:. Plenty more things to do, today it's the cabinet/closet that we'll make (well, that my boyfriend will make), for one. Exciting times :).

Called my job and told them I could not finish out the last two days (Friday and Saturday). Hubby want's me to come up to Columbia this weekend and that's where I'm going to be. Now to buckle down and get some serious organizing done and lots of deep cleaning. If I can get my monster pile of books packed the rest will be cool beans.

That sounds like a great job, a mix of both being out on the water (albeit extremely hard work) and back in the office (hopefully with a view of the water!). I did an A level in Environmental Science at evening class a while back, and the marine science and fisheries section was the most interesting. I often wish I'd taken more of an interest in all the sciences at school and perhaps I would have gone to university to study some soft of marine biology, but I never felt a particular affinity for any specific subject, so just left school after A levels instead. I'm definitely a water person - I get twitchy if I'm too far from water, whether it's a river, lake or the sea - and I think now, if I was to return to education, I would be most interested in that area of study.

There are times I bemoan the fact that I am 100% surrounded by water, but like you, I'm also a water person, and I think my soul would die a little if I were not near the element which sustains it. Marine biology would be a hugely interesting career choice, so many areas of specialization. I am furthering my love of the ocean by attending Maritime College in the new year. In the meantime I'll enjoy the advantages of working a physically demanding job...like never having to diet and eating calorie laden chocolate...it burns off quickly. :)

Continuing my run of excellent news, I managed to secure a last-minute transfer in my job after all! I go back to work in my local branch of WH next Friday, which is one week after my maternity leave finishes, which is great, because I just took a week of holiday pay because I though I was leaving the company! The timing couldn't have been better if I'd planned it myself! :)

This now means we'll have a bit more money to spare once we've moved, so we're about to feel like we're minted - LOL!

Good luck with the move and your job Kell :)