What's up in July?

pontalba

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally got Microsoft Office and wrote a whole review for The Fountainhead vs Atlas Shrugged last night, even though I am only 35% finished with The Fountainhead :P .  I also made some notes comparing existentialism vs objectivism.  It was fun using my brain again, in that fashion, although after a few hours, I felt my brain ready to explode with free will and the pursuit of knowledge and happiness (Its fun comparing the two philosophies).  I'm looking forward to school the 13th of August.  I also got a printer.  Now all I need is the text book (which I wanted by now so I could read it before the class starts.)

Edited by Anna Begins

:exc:  :exc:  :exc:

My mom just bought me my school text book!!  Now I just gotta wait for the mail- grrrrr. 

At $70, it better teach me a lot! :P

Edited: This is the description of my book:

from Amazon:

With efficient and engaging instruction and a consistent focus on why writing matters in the real world, Real Writing delivers a powerful message to students: Good writing skills are both achievable and essential. Concise Four Basics boxes and engaging paragraph- and essay-writing chapters present writing instruction in clear, manageable increments. The Four Most Serious Errors and other sentence-level chapters cover grammar in a lively and supportive way, with abundant opportunities for practice and application. As always, Susan Anker encourages students to connect what they learn with their own goals and with the needs and expectations of the larger world.

Edited by Anna Begins

Our wedding plans are also going well - the invitations for both wedding and blessing have arrived, and we will be sending them no doubt over the weekend. We are also meeting with the caterer this afternoon having finally decided on the buffet menu. Now that this month's credit card has been processed, we can start spending again, safe in the knowledge that we have another month in which to pay for it all. :smile:   

Got home from Virginia yesterday afternoon. We dropped the littles off first, then came home and unloaded. I basically did it as hubby's shoulder is still causing him major problems. I can't put off unpacking so as soon as everything was in the house I put them away, then ran out to pick up some groceries as the son left us with pretty much empty cupboards. I woke up this morning and fixed my first cup of decent coffee in 8 days and as soon as I settled back into bed to sip and watch television, the phone went off. My nephew and stepson needed rides to work. Ugh, its Monday morning and it's storming. Why is it that they can call ME and no one else?

Anyway, while I was out I took care of some business before heading home. Got in the door, saw my poor pooch and remembered I forgot to get her dog food. So I guess I'm headed back out there shortly.

No work til Thursday and will probably have to call in on Friday to take care of more business. Did I mention that we are moving? Hubby starts his new job this week. Its two hours away. He'll stay with family til we can find a place and come home on weekends. I will be up there as soon as my last day is over.

Got home from Virginia yesterday afternoon. We dropped the littles off first, then came home and unloaded. I basically did it as hubby's shoulder is still causing him major problems. I can't put off unpacking so as soon as everything was in the house I put them away, then ran out to pick up some groceries as the son left us with pretty much empty cupboards. I woke up this morning and fixed my first cup of decent coffee in 8 days and as soon as I settled back into bed to sip and watch television, the phone went off. My nephew and stepson needed rides to work. Ugh, its Monday morning and it's storming. Why is it that they can call ME and no one else?

Anyway, while I was out I took care of some business before heading home. Got in the door, saw my poor pooch and remembered I forgot to get her dog food. So I guess I'm headed back out there shortly.

No work til Thursday and will probably have to call in on Friday to take care of more business. Did I mention that we are moving? Hubby starts his new job this week. Its two hours away. He'll stay with family til we can find a place and come home on weekends. I will be up there as soon as my last day is over.

Will you still live in SC?  It is so beautiful in SC.  You are SO good to your family, Virginia.  I'm glad you had a good vacation, and finally, that appreciative good cup of coffee.

Our wedding plans are also going well - the invitations for both wedding and blessing have arrived, and we will be sending them no doubt over the weekend. We are also meeting with the caterer this afternoon having finally decided on the buffet menu. Now that this month's credit card has been processed, we can start spending again, safe in the knowledge that we have another month in which to pay for it all. :smile:

I'm glad to hear/read things are going well on that front :)

You're so kind to your family! Good luck with moving, I'm moving too though it's just next door. My boyfriend though is moving from the UK to here. He's in the UK at the moment, sorting things out, and we'll be picking him up and his things in a couple of days. It's strange being in the bakery without him, I really miss him. But it's only for a few days and then we'll move in together :). I can't wait. Today I spend a lot of time unpacking things and moving things to better places. It's a lot more cleaned up now.

Edited by Athena

I'm glad to hear/read things are going well on that front :)

It's full steam ahead at the moment. We booked the caterer over the weekend and were very pleased that they were able to do everything gluten free vegetarian for only a few extra pounds - this was important as both of us, as this way everybody can eat everything. We are having a selection of different sandwiches, with 2 Quiches, baby jacket potatoes and various salads, plus crisps, some fresh fruit and of course the cake, which will be iced with a blue and green butterfly. The drinks we will have to supply ourselves - all alcohol free - Schloer, fruit juice and lemonade and maybe a few beers for the men.

We have also decided on our vows, which we wanted to write ourselves, which I don't think Coran will mind me writing on here. I was sitting on the toilet last night (as you do), when the words just came to me (as they do):

"I give you this ring as a symbol of my commitment to you, my partner in this life. As in to me you see (intimacy), I see you".   

The one receiving the ring will then reply:  

"I enter willingly into this partnership without need or agenda, not that you can become the missing half of my soul or that you will somehow make me complete, for I already am. Rather, that you compliment that which is already there, so that I will know when I look into the mirror that is your eyes and indeed your soul, the wisdom and perfection of my own being. I accept you fully in all of your guises, both light and dark, and honour your masculine and feminine within".       

To me this says it all.

We have also decided on our vows, which we wanted to write ourselves, which I don't think Coran will mind me writing on here. I was sitting on the toilet last night (as you do), when the words just came to me (as they do):

"I give you this ring as a symbol of my commitment to you, my partner in this life. As in to me you see (intimacy), I see you".   

The one receiving the ring will then reply:  

"I enter willingly into this partnership without need or agenda, not that you can become the missing half of my soul or that you will somehow make me complete, for I already am. Rather, that you compliment that which is already there, so that I will know when I look into the mirror that is your eyes and indeed your soul, the wisdom and perfection of my own being. I accept you fully in all of your guises, both light and dark, and honour your masculine and feminine within".       

To me this says it all.

Those vows are beautiful!! I'm getting teary inside.

We haven't been able to find Bekkie since yesterday (our favourite hen). I fear she has been taken by a predator, though I'm very much hoping she's sitting on some eggs somewhere, but she's never done that before so I fear she has been taken. A few days ago, our orange zijdehoender cockrel disappeared. We haven't been able to find him either (and being male he won't be sitting on eggs for sure). It's all very sad :(. I miss them.

EDIT: I found her! Or rather, she found me. I'm so happy!!

Edited by Athena

Beautiful Tali! I think we'll do our own vows when we are ready to renew them. We never had a wedding as he was over seas and wasn't sure on the date of his return and we had to hurry up to get to California for our next duty station.

I've already been out and about this morning. Just going to spend the afternoon making out lists and trying to find the necessary money to move and pay some overdue bills. Ugh.

The limelight hydrangea are about 6 weeks late this year due to the cold and late winter. also, we don't have any butterflies this year for the same reason.

They're just thriving Muggle! Do you think you'll get butterflies a bit later?

Yesterday we had our offer on a house accepted. Today we got our mortgage application approved - we are buying our forever home! It's a total fixer-upper, but we'll be able to make it entirely our own and it's literally 5 minutes walk to Xan's school. Today is a good day. :)

The limelight hydrangea are about 6 weeks late this year due to the cold and late winter. also, we don't have any butterflies this year for the same reason.

It's beautiful though :). Shame about the butterflies, they're such nice creatures.

Yesterday we had our offer on a house accepted. Today we got our mortgage application approved - we are buying our forever home! It's a total fixer-upper, but we'll be able to make it entirely our own and it's literally 5 minutes walk to Xan's school. Today is a good day. :)

Congratulations!! :)

THAT is so exciting!  And a fixer- upper is great because you can do what you will with it :smile:   Happy home memories.

I finally got Microsoft Office and wrote a whole review for The Fountainhead vs Atlas Shrugged last night, even though I am only 35% finished with The Fountainhead .  I also made some notes comparing existentialism vs objectivism.  It was fun using my brain again, in that fashion, although after a few hours, I felt my brain ready to explode with free will and the pursuit of knowledge and happiness (Its fun comparing the two philosophies).  I'm looking forward to school the 13th of August.  I also got a printer.  Now all I need is the text book (which I wanted by now so I could read it before the class starts.)

Those books are freaking massive! :D Are you enjoying The Fountainhead? I really want to read it but Ayn Rand intimidates me :blush:  I wish your enthusiasm for school would rub off on me :P

My mom just bought me my school text book!!  Now I just gotta wait for the mail- grrrrr. 

At $70, it better teach me a lot! :P

Edited: This is the description of my book:

from Amazon:

With efficient and engaging instruction and a consistent focus on why writing matters in the real world, Real Writing delivers a powerful message to students: Good writing skills are both achievable and essential. Concise Four Basics boxes and engaging paragraph- and essay-writing chapters present writing instruction in clear, manageable increments. The Four Most Serious Errors and other sentence-level chapters cover grammar in a lively and supportive way, with abundant opportunities for practice and application. As always, Susan Anker encourages students to connect what they learn with their own goals and with the needs and expectations of the larger world.

Sounds good! Coincidentally I've been thinking about reading a book on writing, lately. I wonder if you are going to write a review on it, eventhough it's a school text book :giggle:

EDIT: I found her! Or rather, she found me. I'm so happy!!

Happy news! :exc: Phew!!! :)

Those books are freaking massive! :D Are you enjoying The Fountainhead? I really want to read it but Ayn Rand intimidates me :blush:  I wish your enthusiasm for school would rub off on me :P

Sounds good! Coincidentally I've been thinking about reading a book on writing, lately. I wonder if you are going to write a review on it, eventhough it's a school text book :giggle:

I hadn't thought of reviewing a text book!  I might, that's a good way to put my notes and ideas together!

I am enjoying The Fountainhead, although I was a bit stuck at 50% for awhile and it is taking me awhile.  I'd suggest Atlas Shrugged first, while longer, it is more a love story and less philosophy, but don't feel daunted! 

I'm more daunted about school!  Its been 20 years since I was in school.  So that's why I'm starting off with just one easy class.  Next semester is Algebra (I tested low in Math, I hate it) and English 1, College Composition.  Then, I get to take all the fun English classes like- The Modern Novel, Intro to Mythology, Intro to the Short Story (looking forward to these in particular).  Maybe I can even swing a History course in next semester.

I hadn't thought of reviewing a text book!  I might, that's a good way to put my notes and ideas together!

Yeah I guess it sounds like an odd thing to do but maybe there's something to it. I know I'd like to hear what you make of it and it might prepare you for your course work :)

I am enjoying The Fountainhead, although I was a bit stuck at 50% for awhile and it is taking me awhile.  I'd suggest Atlas Shrugged first, while longer, it is more a love story and less philosophy, but don't feel daunted!

AS is massive :o:D I really should just get a grip and pick one of the books up. I know Kylie enjoyed reading the book (I forget which one) and I trust her opinion. I kind of have a feeling I might really enjoy Rand's books, but at the same time, my mood needs to be perfect for her books. I really do want to like her books. (And of course the whole Rory Gilmore book challenge is a massive incentive.... I don't remember, have you seen the show? Have I asked you before? Some of us are major fans!)

I'm more daunted about school!  Its been 20 years since I was in school.  So that's why I'm starting off with just one easy class.  Next semester is Algebra (I tested low in Math, I hate it) and English 1, College Composition.  Then, I get to take all the fun English classes like- The Modern Novel, Intro to Mythology, Intro to the Short Story (looking forward to these in particular).  Maybe I can even swing a History course in next semester.

I hope I'm not prying, and I'm sorry if you've talked about this somewhere before and I've missed it (I've really not been all too active on here for the past few months! :(), but are you starting a whole new degree or ... I'm not sure how the American educational system goes. I guess I mean are you taking a few classes just for fun or are you studying for a specific degree? I coincidentally happened to notice in the What's You Age -thread that you are only a few years older than me, and so your taking up studying again is very inspirational. I plan on doing the same as soon as possible, and I've sometimes felt it's absolutely absurd, I'm too old. But honestly, we're never too old!!

I hope you have a lot of fun with your studies! :) Algebra sounds really tricky :blush: But it's all for the general good, i.e. getting to take the nicer, more enjoyable courses :lol: 

AS is massive :o:D I really should just get a grip and pick one of the books up. I know Kylie enjoyed reading the book (I forget which one) and I trust her opinion. I kind of have a feeling I might really enjoy Rand's books, but at the same time, my mood needs to be perfect for her books. I really do want to like her books. (And of course the whole Rory Gilmore book challenge is a massive incentive.... I don't remember, have you seen the show? Have I asked you before? Some of us are major fans!)

I know, I know- it seems huge but when I read it last year, it totally flew by.  It's epic.  Like, Gone With the Wind epic.  But I'll save all that for the review :P  

Not sure about the Rory Gilmore book challenge though....

I hope I'm not prying, and I'm sorry if you've talked about this somewhere before and I've missed it (I've really not been all too active on here for the past few months! :(), but are you starting a whole new degree or ... I'm not sure how the American educational system goes. I guess I mean are you taking a few classes just for fun or are you studying for a specific degree? I coincidentally happened to notice in the What's You Age -thread that you are only a few years older than me, and so your taking up studying again is very inspirational. I plan on doing the same as soon as possible, and I've sometimes felt it's absolutely absurd, I'm too old. But honestly, we're never too old!!

I hope you have a lot of fun with your studies! :) Algebra sounds really tricky :blush: But it's all for the general good, i.e. getting to take the nicer, more enjoyable courses :lol:

Oh no, not at all.  I'm studding for a degree in English.  It started just for fun, then I had to take an entrance exam and a basic English course just to take the classes I wanted (the fun ones!!) so, I decided, if I'm going through all that, just to read, why not do something with it.  Plus, I'm on disability with a 5 year old, so I have to do something!

Edited by Anna Begins

I know, I know- it seems huge but when I read it last year, it totally flew by.  It's epic.  Like, Gone With the Wind epic.  But I'll save all that for the review :P  

Not sure about the Rory Gilmore book challenge though....

I have a feeling it's a bit different like GwtW but I might be wrong :D You've read them both so you know more. GwtW was an epic book I was intimidated to start reading but when I picked it up the first time, it was brilliant. A real page turner :yes:

Oh I didn't mean you ought to start the RG book challenge, I was just wondering if you've watched the TV series :) That's where I heard of The Fountainhead the first time :)

Oh no, not at all.  I'm studding for a degree in English.  It started just for fun, then I had to take an entrance exam and a basic English course just to take the classes I wanted (the fun ones!!) so, I decided, if I'm going through all that, just to read, why not do something with it.  Plus, I'm on disability with a 5 year old, so I have to do something!

Very admirable! :) Coincidentally I'm also doing a degree in English (English culture and language) but I suppose our classes are somewhat different, you being a native English speaker and me, not so much :D It would be odd for you to do a pronunciation class to see if you can pronounce things correctly :P:lol:

It would be odd for you to do a pronunciation class to see if you can pronounce things correctly :P:lol:

:giggle2:

I assume it is England's History and Culture, not America's  :D We don't have so much of that here :P  

:giggle2:

I assume it is England's History and Culture, not America's  :D We don't have so much of that here :P  

:lol: Well it's actually both :) I've had a course on American history and also some American lit courses, as well as British history and British literature courses :) We lacked Aussie and New Zealand and Canadian etc stuff, though! We had professors from the UK and Australia and a real live New Yorker Jewish professor :cool:

Edited by frankie

Too hot in northern Sweden to do anything. Heat wave for the past 2 weeks. I was not made to live in heat waves. Nor ice-cold weather. What is so wrong with normal temperatures?