What's up in July?

pontalba

Coran and I are going ring shopping later on today - I also need to go to Lush, as I am scraping the bottom of my moisturiser.

Coran had a bit of scare on the tube (London Underground) on Thursday and is still a bit shaky - she was travelling up to an appointment at the gender clinic and the heat got the better of her. She went to the medical room at Earls Court and they ended up calling an ambulance. After all that the clinic cancelled the appointment anyway and didn't even bother to tell her ! Thankfully the heat wave now seems to have broken, and it a lot cooler today.

The weather in Iceland has been terrible since I left - rain and gale force winds with temperatures as low as 5 degrees in the northwest and a mud slide not far from where I stayed. I am glad I went home when I did !        

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our soil is clay and poor. I have built it up over a number of years. Attached are a few photos of my favorite flowers....Summer Phlox. Excuse the photos as the flowers are past their prime and all faded out.

Muggle, those flowers are beautiful :).

The other day we drove down to N.O., and went to the newly revamped Riverwalk Shopping Mall.  It's (duh) right by the Mississippi River where it passes through downtown New Orleans. 

I think we walked 10 miles just to get to the very badly placed food court, and the selection was.....well, the kindest thing I can say is that the selection was poor.  Very poor.

The shopping selection wasn't much better.  It's turned into a Retail Outlet Mall, which is fine, or should be.  But I found it to be as expensive as ordinary stores, and not much variety.  /sigh/ 

There is an outlet mall in Gulfport, Mississippi, which is only an hour and a half drive from our home, and it's far larger, and far better.  Except for the food.  I guess the owners of those retail malls think that people that shop there don't want to spend money on any food.  :P

What a disappointment!

It's a shame it was a disappointment :(.

Coran and I are going ring shopping later on today - I also need to go to Lush, as I am scraping the bottom of my moisturiser.

Coran had a bit of scare on the tube (London Underground) on Thursday and is still a bit shaky - she was travelling up to an appointment at the gender clinic and the heat got the better of her. She went to the medical room at Earls Court and they ended up calling an ambulance. After all that the clinic cancelled the appointment anyway and didn't even bother to tell her ! Thankfully the heat wave now seems to have broken, and it a lot cooler today.

The weather in Iceland has been terrible since I left - rain and gale force winds with temperatures as low as 5 degrees in the northwest and a mud slide not far from where I stayed. I am glad I went home when I did !

I hope you have fun ring shopping :). I'm glad Coran is okay, the heat can do strange things to people.

My boyfriend has been busy with getting the internet to the bakery, he's been digging a long hole. I'm having better and worse days in terms of nauteousness and dizzyness due to medication but I do feel it's a lot better than at the beginning of this week.

Edited by Athena

We were sent Xan's school report for reception year yesterday and it is excelling - he's exceeding expectations in almost every area (and in those he's not, he's still at the expected stage, so that's good), and apparently he's a confident, bright, creative boy with excellent manners and a thirst for knowledge. His reading is also one of his best areas and he's read more books in Bug Club (online computer-based reading scheme) than any of the others in his class. In fact, he's probably read more than any three or four of them put together! Got ourselves a mini bookworm here! :) Proud as punch of our eldest son. :)

Having a chilled out day today (well, apart from the housework, but I'm doing that slowly ;) ) after a busy start to the month.  O's and I travelled down to London on Thursday night, stopped over with his sister in Essex and then we went to the British Summertime Festival in Hyde Park on Friday.  We got to see Motorhead and Black Sabbath, along with Soundgarden, Faith No More and Soulfly.  The weather was amazing and we had an awesome time.  It was definitely worth the long journey to see Ozzy perform live.

Wednesday evening will be Race for Life in Blackpool which I'll be doing this year with Mum and hopefully Freya the dog.  Last year was a great evening and to know I'm raising money for charity at the same time is a boost.  I have to admit though, I also love dressing up in pink as well :D  I'll try and get pictures on the evening, although mum is well known for dodging the camera.

We were sent Xan's school report for reception year yesterday and it is excelling - he's exceeding expectations in almost every area (and in those he's not, he's still at the expected stage, so that's good), and apparently he's a confident, bright, creative boy with excellent manners and a thirst for knowledge. His reading is also one of his best areas and he's read more books in Bug Club (online computer-based reading scheme) than any of the others in his class. In fact, he's probably read more than any three or four of them put together! Got ourselves a mini bookworm here! :) Proud as punch of our eldest son. :)

That's great :)! It sounds like he's doing really well in school, wonderful!

Having a chilled out day today (well, apart from the housework, but I'm doing that slowly ;) ) after a busy start to the month.  O's and I travelled down to London on Thursday night, stopped over with his sister in Essex and then we went to the British Summertime Festival in Hyde Park on Friday.  We got to see Motorhead and Black Sabbath, along with Soundgarden, Faith No More and Soulfly.  The weather was amazing and we had an awesome time.  It was definitely worth the long journey to see Ozzy perform live.

Wednesday evening will be Race for Life in Blackpool which I'll be doing this year with Mum and hopefully Freya the dog.  Last year was a great evening and to know I'm raising money for charity at the same time is a boost.  I have to admit though, I also love dressing up in pink as well :D  I'll try and get pictures on the evening, although mum is well known for dodging the camera.

It sounds like you had a great time :)!

We now have internet in the bakery! It's quite exciting and becoming more and more like our (little) home :).

My 5 year old has finally decided to get her ears pierced today!  We are having her doctor do it, as professional piercers in the US won't do them until they are 16 with parental consent.  At least I know those nasty piercing guns they use for kids will be hospital sterilized- I hate the ones in the malls.

Saw this on my facebook feed today. An elephant was rescued after fifty years of barbaric treatment on the streets of India .. and it cried with relief  :cry2:  :cry2: I cried just reading the article  :blush2: He was starved and ate plastic and paper because he was so hungry :(

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/elephant-cries-while-being-rescued-after-50-years-of-abuse-in-india-9589665.html

Why would anyone hurt an elephant? .. or any living creature. Elephants are such magnificent animals and they have such a depth of understanding. I won't say what I'd like to do to the people responsible for this outrage .. possibly it would make me sound equally barbaric but I just cannot understand how anyone could do this.

Hope Raju enjoys the rest of his life .. bless him .. he has elephant company now :) I'd happily share my buns with him  :blush2: All respect to those that put themselves in a highly dangerous position to rescue him. His 'owner' tried to rouse him against them  :angry: 

Eventually freed on Independence Day :smile:  

Awww :( I hope he has a better life from now on.

The next few weeks we'll be doing quite a bit of things in the bakery, to prepare it for us moving in there.

Edited by Athena

Saw this on my facebook feed today. An elephant was rescued after fifty years of barbaric treatment on the streets of India .. and it cried with relief  :cry2:  :cry2: I cried just reading the article  :blush2: He was starved and ate plastic and paper because he was so hungry :(

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/elephant-cries-while-being-rescued-after-50-years-of-abuse-in-india-9589665.html

Why would anyone hurt an elephant? .. or any living creature. Elephants are such magnificent animals and they have such a depth of understanding. I won't say what I'd like to do to the people responsible for this outrage .. possibly it would make me sound equally barbaric but I just cannot understand how anyone could do this.

Hope Raju enjoys the rest of his life .. bless him .. he has elephant company now :) I'd happily share my buns with him  :blush2: All respect to those that put themselves in a highly dangerous position to rescue him. His 'owner' tried to rouse him against them  :angry: 

Eventually freed on Independence Day :smile:  

I saw the same thing and googled for the video and more pics. Just horrid that someone would do something like that to animals! :(

'Raju' is coincidentally a word in Finnish and it means 'fierce'. I hope he has a fiercely happy life for the rest of his days! :)

It makes me so happy to see people who would put themselves out there to help animals.  I'm such a big softy and would think nothing of helping out an animal in need. (That's why I have three cats and have to fight the urge to rescue everything else out there!)  I'm so glad that Raju can now experience a happy life.  It restores my faith in the human race to see things like this.

In a similar vein, I saw a video today of a farmer using a big grabber machine to remove a milk churn stuck on a bears head.  Genius!

I couldn't watch it, Too early in the day to start crying.

Have fun ring shopping Tali! Glad Coran is better. Heat is NO joke.

So much to read and catch up on....

I've got the littles today and they are, shall we say, active. I had to put the baby gate up to keep us separated. The little female Tasmanian she-devil is the worst of the lot, lmbo! She has far surpassed her two year old reigning Tasmanian he-devil brother. And THAT is saying a lot.

Besides watching the children, I'm getting the house ready for our vacation to Virginia. We'll be taking the littles with us as they probably wont be able to spend much time with their Gigi (great grammy) after November when their daddy gets his orders and the clan will move (maybe North Carolina, maybe Okinawa)

I've got lots to tell but I won't clog up this board so if you want to know the rest, I'll be updating my page in a minute.

Have a great day all!

My parents have hired some gardeners to cut the hedges and such, they've been here since yesterday. Yesterday morning they were doing the ones right near the bed room so I wasn't too pleased when I woke up from the noise and smell (of petrol / exhaust gases). Today they're further away in the garden so it's not as noisy (I can still hear it though from the living room). I'm planning on wearing my headphones a lot (though yesterday that wasn't sufficient at all so I had to play some music. But listening to a few songs tires me enough to have to stop then..). The dogs are pretty restless too and keep barking when they see and/or hear the men. I really don't like having strangers on the premises (particularly not strange men.. but it's always men). Hopefully in half a week or such, it'll be over.

I am glad that week is over - for the past 2 days I have been on a mental health first aid training course at work, which aims to educate about mental health issues and give you the resources to help others who you suspect may be having difficulties. It was of particular interest to me given the myriad of mental health issues in my family (father who had quite severe depression, as has at various times soon to be husband, sister with schizophrenia who has also self harmed and at various times attempted suicide). It was pretty heavy going at times, but I am really glad I did it, and it is one of the best courses I have done that might just change my life.  

My granddaughter sent me a couple emails with photos of breathtaking scenes. She will send me another with photos of her boat trip where she said she took about 500 photos, but will only send a few. :)

From GD:

The (host) woman I am living with, Patti, took me on a hike not in any of the guide books with stunning views of Kenai Lake (Photo 5). I also went on my first hike alone in Alaska. For the first half hour or so I thought every tree stump was a bear! But I powered through and was rewarded with a view so breath-taking it looks fake in pictures (Photo 6). 

My granddaughter sent me a couple emails with photos of breathtaking scenes. She will send me another with photos of her boat trip where she said she took about 500 photos, but will only send a few. :)

From GD:

The (host) woman I am living with, Patti, took me on a hike not in any of the guide books with stunning views of Kenai Lake (Photo 5). I also went on my first hike alone in Alaska. For the first half hour or so I thought every tree stump was a bear! But I powered through and was rewarded with a view so breath-taking it looks fake in pictures (Photo 6). 

Wonderful photos Muggle. Sounds like GD is making the most of her time over there :)

I am glad that week is over - for the past 2 days I have been on a mental health first aid training course at work, which aims to educate about mental health issues and give you the resources to help others who you suspect may be having difficulties. It was of particular interest to me given the myriad of mental health issues in my family (father who had quite severe depression, as has at various times soon to be husband, sister with schizophrenia who has also self harmed and at various times attempted suicide). It was pretty heavy going at times, but I am really glad I did it, and it is one of the best courses I have done that might just change my life.

Good job :).

From GD:

Those photos are beautiful, Muggle :)!

I am feeling a lot less tired now 24 hours on after a nice lie in this morning - I think a lot of the tiredness came from the fact that this type of work is very cerebral and took huge amounts of concentration.

Today though Coran and I went food shopping and then went to collect our wedding rings, as the jeweller had phoned earlier in the week to say that they were ready (mine had to be resized, as along with the rest of me my hands are not a standard size). We also had a rather nice picnic lunch sitting in the park courtesy of Marks and Spencer, who do some very nice veggie sushi. Our CEO at work is also getting married tomorrow, and like me she has not been there that long (10 months to my 4). The staff and residents all got together to do a collection for her which they surprised her with on Thursday lunchtime. I will have to drop a few hints then about the fact that we both love reading in case they decide to do the same for me - Amazon vouchers do come in very handy after all and my Kindle did get a bit wet in Iceland and so might need replacing soon ... :smile:

We will be eating corn on the cob for a few nights. my daughter-in-law's sister and her husband have a farm and gave us about 5 or 6 dozen ears today. We will also give some  to a couple of our neighbors.

Hey y'all! I'm waving to you from Virginia!

What a hectic few days its been. I met my father's family, took care of some business related to his death, visited my brother, took hubby to a Veterans Hospital for a pinched nerve and logged many miles and hours in my truck. I am finally able to sit down and relax on this porch with a cup of coffee and my mom's laptop. It would be so quiet and peaceful if it were not for two unholy tiny terrors.  The family reunion starts tomorrow. We'll be leaving my mom's house and heading to the hotel. Hoping we can get some relaxation going on!

I hope everyone is managing to cope with the heat - we had temperatures of around 30 degrees today with 33 expected tomorrow. I am the only housekeeper tomorrow as well as the other one has the day off. I told my colleagues that if they can't find me I will be floating in the pond with the fish trying to keep cool !   

Edited by Talisman

It's my day off tomorrow and I was planning on doing the usual boring housework and giving the carpets a quick clean.  ( I know, I'm so rock and roll!)  But the more I hear about how lovely the weather is going to be, the less I want to do it.  It's going to end up one of those days where I get everything done super quick and reward myself with a long sit in the sun with a book.  At least I'll get a bit of housework done then :D

What a hectic few days its been. I met my father's family, took care of some business related to his death, visited my brother, took hubby to a Veterans Hospital for a pinched nerve and logged many miles and hours in my truck. I am finally able to sit down and relax on this porch with a cup of coffee and my mom's laptop. It would be so quiet and peaceful if it were not for two unholy tiny terrors.  The family reunion starts tomorrow. We'll be leaving my mom's house and heading to the hotel. Hoping we can get some relaxation going on!

I'm glad you had some fun and that you took cake of things. Have fun at the reunion :)!

I hope everyone is managing to cope with the heat - we had temperatures of around 30 degrees today with 33 expected tomorrow. I am the only housekeeper tomorrow as well as the other one has the day off. I told my colleagues that if they can't find me I will be floating in the pond with the fish trying to keep cool !

It's the same here, we're having a heatwave. It's too hot.. we try and keep certain curtains and doors closed to make sure it doesn't get too hot inside, but the temperature is rising regardless. This morning I woke up feeling really hot, I'm wearing minimum clothes (shorts and a bikini top) because I feel too hot with a T-shirt on. I'm at home so this doesn't matter much (I mean, I don't need to be properly dressed). We're expecting someone at the door later today with the food delivery so I will of course get more properly dressed then. I hope you and Coran will manage allright there and that the heat calms down a bit soon. Here they're expecting thunderstorms and rain on Saturday evening or Sunday I believe. It's weird but it seems to be we either have pouring rain or a heatwave.. it doesn't seem to want to stay nice weather but not too hot, for long.

It's my day off tomorrow and I was planning on doing the usual boring housework and giving the carpets a quick clean.  ( I know, I'm so rock and roll!)  But the more I hear about how lovely the weather is going to be, the less I want to do it.  It's going to end up one of those days where I get everything done super quick and reward myself with a long sit in the sun with a book.  At least I'll get a bit of housework done then :D

Have fun in the sun :D.

I've been busy moving my stuff. I've been carrying a lot of boxes and the living room (where I've put most things until I get to step two of sorting it all out) is partly full :giggle2:. I'm having a lot of fun though and at the moment am typing this on my computer in the bakery!

I hope you are able to sit out in the sun Lily :) It's very hot here but a lot of cloud cover (after last night's storms) .. still the sun is beginning to break through now .. just in time for the mad dogs and Englishmen :D It's fine for sitting out in anyway regardless of sunshine but very sticky. 

I left the sun lounger outside yesterday .. I forgot about it really and it got soaked overnight :( That'll learn me :D Will get piles or something if I sit on it today so will perch on a chair instead as need to finish my book  :smile:

Glad your having fun moving all your stuff into the bakery Athena .. very exciting times for you :)

Edited by poppyshake