What's up in July?

pontalba

I got back from Iceland around 7.30pm last night after 18 fun filled days of what seemed like endless walking and endless daylight. The longest I walked in one day was 23 kms (around 15 miles) - my feet and calves ached after that one but soon recovered. The real killer was climbing that dormant volcano to have a look at the crater - well worth it though. I met some great people, ate some really tasty food, managed to fall in a river (long story), got saved by a nice Yorkshire man (even longer story) and even managed to read a few books. The only downside now will be paying for it all. :wacko:

Sounds like, all in all, you had a fantastic time!

Pictures, please. :D

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad you had a great time :)!

I've been feeling dizzy and nauteous since stopping with my anti-depressants. It doesn't look like it's getting any better yet so it might take a while. I try to take each day and each hour as it comes, and sit down a lot. I also have to go to the dentist tomorrow which is something I'm always really stressed about and don't like at all.

What's going on with everyone in July? We're half way through the year already, is anyone having some time off over the summer or having holiday plans?

We'll be driving to the UK and back to get my boyfriends' things. We plan to do half days in the summer of going somewhere, ie. to the local zoo. If that goes well, we can try whole days. We'll of course also be busy with unpacking and decorating etc. We need to do some more DIY first, and we need to buy some things like a fridge and electric plugs.

Yes- I want to see pictures of Iceland too!

I get to buy my book for school this month!  I'm very excited.  I'm just starting out with one class, a simple English Composition, just because it's been 20 years since I was in school.  Brushing up on Composition can't hurt either.  Then I have a basic English course THEN the fun courses!  The Short Story, Modern Novels, Classics, Women in literature, etc.  I am getting the book early just to read it before class, then I can read, study and discuss with the class.  I am also buying a few clothes, so that's exciting too.

Other than that, I'm just super depressed and am not reading at the moment.

Edited by Anna Begins

Woke up in the middle of the night with a raging sore throat, and had to turn the fan off in the bedroom, as I know from past experience that only contributes to making it worse. :weeping:  Didn't have a temperature though, so decided to go to work, and spent the whole day drinking to try and soothe it.  I haven't been able to swallow much food throughout the day and had to abandon a sandwich at lunchtime, but have just had a cheese omelette for my tea, as it was the easiest thing I could think of that would be gentlest on my poor throat! :lol:  Feeling okay in myself, it just hurts to swallow, and talking for too long doesn't help either so will be keeping quiet (I know that those around me will think that a bonus ;)), and going to content myself with watching the tennis and reading my book this evening, and keeping the tonsils lubricated with plenty of cups of tea.  :coffee1:

Woke up in the middle of the night with a raging sore throat, and had to turn the fan off in the bedroom, as I know from past experience that only contributes to making it worse. :weeping:  Didn't have a temperature though, so decided to go to work, and spent the whole day drinking to try and soothe it.  I haven't been able to swallow much food throughout the day and had to abandon a sandwich at lunchtime, but have just had a cheese omelette for my tea, as it was the easiest thing I could think of that would be gentlest on my poor throat! :lol:  Feeling okay in myself, it just hurts to swallow, and talking for too long doesn't help either so will be keeping quiet (I know that those around me will think that a bonus ;)), and going to content myself with watching the tennis and reading my book this evening, and keeping the tonsils lubricated with plenty of cups of tea.  :coffee1:

If it continues, a doctor's visit may be in order.

A photo of my vegetable garden.

I get to buy my book for school this month!  I'm very excited.  I'm just starting out with one class, a simple English Composition, just because it's been 20 years since I was in school.  Brushing up on Composition can't hurt either.  Then I have a basic English course THEN the fun courses!  The Short Story, Modern Novels, Classics, Women in literature, etc.  I am getting the book early just to read it before class, then I can read, study and discuss with the class.  I am also buying a few clothes, so that's exciting too.

Other than that, I'm just super depressed and am not reading at the moment.

I hope you have lots of fun :)! Good luck!

Awww Chesil, I hope your throat feels better soon :(.

Moving. That's number 1 on my list. Have to be out of this apartment by the end of the month.

Good luck with moving, I hope it all goes well :)

That's a lovely vegetable garden :).

I'm back from the dentist (everything was allright woohoo!!) and this ends the period of busyness and stressyness. In a few weeks we're going to pick up my boyfriend's things from the UK. I look forward to it, it should be fun (I haven't been on a road trip in ages). My dizzyness and nauteousness is still there, I'm hoping it'll be better at least before I have to go and sit in the car the whole day. At the moment it's not too bad but I seem to go through periods where it's worse and a bit better so I don't dare to hope it's going to stay this way to be honest. But now that my visit to the dentist has gone well I can relax the rest of the day even if I'll feel bad.

Garden's looking good Muggle. What awesome tomato plants!! What's the plant with the yellow flowers, behind the zinnias? Fennel of some kind? And what a good idea growing your cucumbers? pumpkins? marrows? (not sure which they are) up  a fence instead of along the ground. :)

Garden's looking good Muggle. What awesome tomato plants!! What's the plant with the yellow flowers, behind the zinnias? Fennel of some kind? And what a good idea growing your cucumbers? pumpkins? marrows? (not sure which they are) up  a fence instead of along the ground. :)

The tall plants behind the zinnia are "Dill". They re-seed themselves and come up every year. What you see are only about one-third as I pulled the rest out. Potato salad with lots & lots of fresh dill from the garden in it is totally awesome. Behind the tomato plants are about 8 pepper plants (habanero, jalapeno, bell, sweet banana, & Marconi) and eggplant and zucchini plants. On the trellis are cucumbers. The trellis only costs about $3 or $4 and it saves much garden space. attached are a couple close-ups of the cucumbers on the trellis. There are 4 neighbors of ours that I keep supplied with zucchini and cucumbers. I give to them (alternately - 2 neighbors each day) about 2 each of the cukes and zucchini every single day.

Edited by muggle not

I will post some of the better pics on Facebook in the next day or so - there are a lot of them to peruse. Today though I am feeling happy as I have spoken to my brother for the first time in almost five years, after we just sort of drifted apart. Even better, he hopes to come to our wedding, which we have to start planning in earnest now - we will be going ring shopping this weekend, just in time for the sales. :smile: After that, I have to go shoe shopping.     

I will post some of the better pics on Facebook in the next day or so - there are a lot of them to peruse. Today though I am feeling happy as I have spoken to my brother for the first time in almost five years, after we just sort of drifted apart. Even better, he hopes to come to our wedding, which we have to start planning in earnest now - we will be going ring shopping this weekend, just in time for the sales. :smile: After that, I have to go shoe shopping.     

That is so great about reconnecting with your brother.  I lost mine and would love to have him back- I think you never realize someone's absence until they are missing.  Anyway, can you please post one or two here if you can because I can't  have a Facebook?  Every once in awhile, this week, I'd think about you there!  So jealous!  I love to travel and would love to see Iceland.  Do you have any wedding ideas you can share?

Edited by Anna Begins

I will try and post some on here, but in the past each time I have tried it hasn't been that successful - for some reason it nevers seems to work.  :doh:  As for wedding ideas, we are having a very simple registry office affair for family and a few very close friends, with mine and Coran's sisters as witnesses and our good friend and next door neighbour as ring bearer. I am not being given away or any of that as it seems so old fashioned, apart from which, I don't belong to anybody ! I don't plan to change my name either, just change the Miss to a Mrs - much simpler that way.

The blessing we are planning for September is in some ways the more important part - this will be at our local non denominational church (really more of a spiritual retreat centre), which has played a big and very important role in both of our lives - Coran still works there as a healer (as did I for a while) and was a trustee for a number of years. This will be for our wider circle of friends and conducted by our best friend. It will be a much bigger event with a buffet afterwards. The wedding itself is really just the legal bit.

Edited by Talisman

I will try and post some on here, but in the past each time I have tried it hasn't been that successful - for some reason it nevers seems to work.  :doh:  As for wedding ideas, we are having a very simple registry office affair for family and a few very close friends, with mine and Coran's sisters as witnesses and our good friend and next door neighbour as ring bearer. I am not being given away or any of that as it seems so old fashioned, apart from which, I don't belong to anybody ! I don't plan to change my name either, just change the Miss to a Mrs - much simpler that way.

The blessing we are planning for September is in some ways the more important part - this will be at our local non denominational church (really more of a spiritual retreat centre), which has played a big and very important role in both of our lives - Coran still works there as a healer (as did I for a while) and was a trustee for a number of years. This will be for our wider circle of friends and conducted by our best friend. It will be a much bigger event with a buffet afterwards. The wedding itself is really just the legal bit.

The blessing sounds lovely- a bit like I did (past tense, thank you!).  I didn't change my name either, but my brother gave me away.  I love the idea of more of a spiritual retreat idea, that's all that really matters, right? :smile:

Edited by Anna Begins

Hope you're feeling better Claire and that it hasn't developed into something more serious :empathy:  I had a sore throat a few days ago but it wasn't too bad and it disappeared after a couple of days. Hope yours does the same. Sadly the tennis hasn't given you much to smile about (from a British POV)   :( .. well at least you won't have made your throat worse by excessive cheering  :smile: 

That's so great that you're reconnecting with your brother :). Your wedding and blessing sound lovely, I hope you and Coran have a great time :).

That is so great about reconnecting with your brother.  I lost mine and would love to have him back- I think you never realize someone's absence until they are missing.  Anyway, can you please post one or two here if you can because I can't  have a Facebook?  Every once in awhile, this week, I'd think about you there!  So jealous!  I love to travel and would love to see Iceland.  Do you have any wedding ideas you can share?

I'm sorry to hear about your brother Anna :(.

If it continues, a doctor's visit may be in order.

Awww Chesil, I hope your throat feels better soon :(.

Hope you're feeling better Claire and that it hasn't developed into something more serious :empathy:  I had a sore throat a few days ago but it wasn't too bad and it disappeared after a couple of days. Hope yours does the same. Sadly the tennis hasn't given you much to smile about (from a British POV)   :( .. well at least you won't have made your throat worse by excessive cheering  :smile: 

Thank you all  :friends3: 

Looks like I might be lucky like you Kay, as my throat was getting better by yesterday morning, but I then developed a sneeze through the day.  Got up this morning and my throat is back to normal, but am losing my voice a bit (don't cheer too loudly :giggle2:) and have a cough now!  :drama:  Starting to feel better in myself though, so I'm sure I'll be back to full strength soon. :D  Definitely looking forward to the weekend now though.

Edited by chesilbeach

That's so great that you're reconnecting with your brother :). Your wedding and blessing sound lovely, I hope you and Coran have a great time :).

I'm sorry to hear about your brother Anna :(.

Thanks, Athena.  I appreciate it.

Thank you all  :friends3: 

Looks like I might be lucky like you Kay, as my throat was getting better by yesterday morning, but I then developed a sneeze through the day.  Got up this morning and my throat is back to normal, but am losing my voice a bit (don't cheer too loudly :giggle2:) and have a cough now!  :drama:  Starting to feel better in myself though, so I'm sure I'll be back to full strength soon. :D  Definitely looking forward to the weekend now though.

Good, good :) It's weird though isn't it .. these sort of mini bugs. Or are we just super human bug fighting machines Claire? :D Hope you continue to feel better .. any baking planned for the weekend?

I think I'd better wait and see if I'm germ free first! :lol: I don't think anyone would want to eat something I'd baked while coughing all over it … ewwww, doesn't even bear thinking about! *shudder* 

I think I'll have to content myself with reading my baking books instead :giggle2:

I think I'd better wait and see if I'm germ free first! :lol: I don't think anyone would want to eat something I'd baked while coughing all over it … ewwww, doesn't even bear thinking about! *shudder* 

I think I'll have to content myself with reading my baking books instead :giggle2:

Very wise .. it's calorie free. I'm going to attempt to do the same :D

The tall plants behind the zinnia are "Dill". They re-seed themselves and come up every year. What you see are only about one-third as I pulled the rest out. Potato salad with lots & lots of fresh dill from the garden in it is totally awesome. Behind the tomato plants are about 8 pepper plants (habanero, jalapeno, bell, sweet banana, & Marconi) and eggplant and zucchini plants. On the trellis are cucumbers. The trellis only costs about $3 or $4 and it saves much garden space. attached are a couple close-ups of the cucumbers on the trellis. There are 4 neighbors of ours that I keep supplied with zucchini and cucumbers. I give to them (alternately - 2 neighbors each day) about 2 each of the cukes and zucchini every single day.

I bet you're their favourite neighbour. Is your soil really good there or have you built it up yourself? You've certainly got green fingers Muggles :D

I bet you're their favourite neighbour. Is your soil really good there or have you built it up yourself? You've certainly got green fingers Muggles :D

Our soil is clay and poor. I have built it up over a number of years. Attached are a few photos of my favorite flowers....Summer Phlox. Excuse the photos as the flowers are past their prime and all faded out.

Edited by muggle not

Past their prime? :D  They are still beautiful, muggle.   Your veggies are beautiful as well. :) 

The other day we drove down to N.O., and went to the newly revamped Riverwalk Shopping Mall.  It's (duh) right by the Mississippi River where it passes through downtown New Orleans. 

I think we walked 10 miles just to get to the very badly placed food court, and the selection was.....well, the kindest thing I can say is that the selection was poor.  Very poor.

The shopping selection wasn't much better.  It's turned into a Retail Outlet Mall, which is fine, or should be.  But I found it to be as expensive as ordinary stores, and not much variety.  /sigh/ 

There is an outlet mall in Gulfport, Mississippi, which is only an hour and a half drive from our home, and it's far larger, and far better.  Except for the food.  I guess the owners of those retail malls think that people that shop there don't want to spend money on any food.  :P

What a disappointment!