Your Book Activity - July 2014

Alexi

Do it!  :D

I've done one and it was amazing!  Plus you'd get to meet me for coffee!   :P

Which would be even better than the reading Spa!

I'm really struggling with my latest read, Gargling With Tar. I wondered if it was my mojo so I started a quick Agatha Christie to test it, and it's definitely the book! It's bizarre because the premise is interesting and I want to know what happens...but I'm struggling to pick it up!

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad it's not your mojo but it's not nice you're struggling to pick up Gargling With Tar. Is it something about the way it's written?

I'm re-reading Gabrielle Zevin - Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac, which I'll probably finish soon (it's very good so far.. I was a bit worried it was going to be less good than the first time I read it, but it's just as brilliant :smile2:). I'm hoping to read ADHD bij Volwassenen by J. J. Sandra Kooij next, which should've been here last week but hasn't arrived yet. I'll read it if it's in the postbox today but if not I'll message the shop and ask them about it. In which case I'll have to come up with another book to read. I don't want to start a huge book just before the read-a-thon so we have to see how it goes. Ideally I'd prefer to not read much at all just before the read-a-thon but I'm too tired to do much else and I do love reading and want to read.

Just finished Demon Lord of Karanda (Malloreon 3) by David Eddings which maintains the brilliance of the series :)

That's great! I really should read more of on David Eddings' work sometime. Do the books in the Mallorean series each have a conclusive ending or is it very much one story?

I just realised it's July! What are you all reading?

Nothing!  I'm so burned out with everything- I can hardly watch TV.

Edited by Anna Begins

I started Cider With Rosie today - it's one of the English Counties books (and a gift from the lovely poppyshake  - I read it at school, and remember not enjoying it, but can't remember anything about it, so glad to be able to come back to revisit it, and keeping an open mind that 13 was just too young to appreciate it the first time around! :D

Edited by chesilbeach

That's great! I really should read more of on David Eddings' work sometime. Do the books in the Mallorean series each have a conclusive ending or is it very much one story?

It is all one story but each book focuses on one leg of the journey, with a beginning, middle and end. Can't be read as stand-alone though.

It is all one story but each book focuses on one leg of the journey, with a beginning, middle and end. Can't be read as stand-alone though.

Thanks Tim :).

I'm not sure yet which book to read at the moment. The read-a-thon will start in two days so ideally I want to pick a book I can finish before then. But I'm not sure what kind of genre I feel like reading right now.

Woop....just won another Giveaway on Goodreads. This is my 4th one over time....might have to be marked down for  my next read.

'The Tea Chest' by Josephine Moon

I started Cider With Rosie today - it's one of the English Counties books (and a gift from the lovely poppyshake  - I read it at school, and remember not enjoying it, but can't remember anything about it, so glad to be able to come back to revisit it, and keeping an open mind that 13 was just too young to appreciate it the first time around! :D

Oh ... difficult one Claire  :unsure: Hope you enjoy it this time around .. but at least it helps you on with the challenge if not. I love it and never fail to think of it when driving through the Slad valley. I loved it on his first day at school when he was told to 'just sit there for the present' and then he was outraged that he didn't get one and was refusing to go back  :D

Am currently reading One of Our Thursdays is Missing by Jasper Fforde and also Replay by Ken Grimwood .. both excellent   :smile:

Edited by poppyshake

Oh ... difficult one Claire  :unsure: Hope you enjoy it this time around .. but at least it helps you on with the challenge if not. I love it and never fail to think of it when driving through the Slad valley. I loved it on his first day at school when he was told to 'just sit there for the present' and then he was outraged that he didn't get one and was refusing to go back  :D

Well, I'm almost finished, and I can categorically state, I've enjoyed it much more than my 13 year old self did! :lol: I still think it's flawed, but I *am* enjoying it even if some of my prejudice is still lingering in my head.

Am currently reading One of Our Thursdays is Missing by Jasper Fforde and also Replay by Ken Grimwood .. both excellent   :smile:

You can't go wrong with some Literary Detective escapades, can you? :D

Oh boy! I just had my hands on a few Fforde books (I needed to rearrange some bookshelves) and I thought why oh why haven't I read these books yet because I loved the first novel in the series!  :banghead:   :lol:

I'm very much looking forward to your thoughts on Replay :smile2: 

I'm currently reading a non-fiction book on Moms and grown daughters (hoping to learn something!!) and I'm also reading The Private Lives of Pippa Lee but my reading has been and will probably continue to be so scattered that I don't know if I'll be able to finish. I've enjoyed it very much so far. 

Oh boy! I just had my hands on a few Fforde books (I needed to rearrange some bookshelves) and I thought why oh why haven't I read these books yet because I loved the first novel in the series!  :banghead:   :lol:

I'm very much looking forward to your thoughts on Replay :smile2:

I'm currently reading a non-fiction book on Moms and grown daughters (hoping to learn something!!) and I'm also reading The Private Lives of Pippa Lee but my reading has been and will probably continue to be so scattered that I don't know if I'll be able to finish. I've enjoyed it very much so far. 

I'm liking Replay so far and it's surprising me with all the twists and turns .. I thought I knew how it was going to pan out. You must get around to reading the Fforde sequels soon, they're too good to be ignored :D Though sometimes I have left long gaps between them which you'd think would be fatal (as they are fairly complicated) but somehow it's never a problem to get back into them again .. though they're a complete mind boggle  :giggle2: One day (perhaps in another universe :D) .. I will read them all again back to back .. I'll have a Fforde fest. The Toast Marketing Board is the best invention ever  :D I wish I worked for them .. I'd be ideal as I already do a very good job in promoting toast.

Good luck with your reading .. hope you continue to enjoy the books and get time to finish them. 

Well, I'm almost finished, and I can categorically state, I've enjoyed it much more than my 13 year old self did! :lol: I still think it's flawed, but I *am* enjoying it even if some of my prejudice is still lingering in my head.

Well .. that's good news :DIt was a bit much to hope that you might love it ... I think any enjoyment is a bonus :D

You can't go wrong with some Literary Detective escapades, can you? :D

No .. it's genius .. how does he do it? 

My Mum's reading that!  She bought it on her brand new Kindle as it was either 40p or 60p.  She said it's a bit too chick-lit for her tastes but she's persevering with it. I hope you enjoy it.  :)

It was a chance of a free book Janet... :giggle:  The reviews on Goodreads for it were OK.

Finished Black and blue. Not too struck on it. Rebus books seem to bring to mind several heavily imprinted images...lit cigarettes, whisky, phone calls, and bad weather. Many other things put me off , its not bad but I can do without Rebus.

Edited by itsmeagain