What magazines do you read?

emelee

Just curious, do people buy hardcopies of their magazines or subscribe on an iPad/Kindle etc?

I currently buy hardcopies but am tempted to subscribe on my iPad as I think it will be much cleaner. I also move around a lot, meaning that I can't buy a subscription long-term.

Then again, I can't imagine myself sitting in a park or a coffee shop flicking through my iPad so to speak. It's not like I carry my iPad with me everywhere I go, whereas I do generally carry a magazine in my handbag which I can whip out at any time.

Edited by Angury

I used to subscribe to Radio Times, as I liked the interviews and articles, but seeing as how I barely watch any TV these days or even listen to the radio, I recently cancelled my subscription.  (It was always extremely useful for lining the bottom of the bird cage, so not a total loss!)

I've just subscribed to The Fortean Times, which is a monthly magazine on strange/unexplained phenomena.  My first issue will be next month's.  I'm looking forward to it.  :)

I couldn't really handle mags on my ipad, even though i take my ipad virtually everywhere. I prefer hard copy I suppose - easier to read, none of that "flicking around the screen" thing. I don't tend to read many mags now - I used to read photography and music tech magazines but eventually they start repeating the same "how to..." articles. Occasionally I pick up Classic Car magazine if there are some interesting motors in there, and when we went abroad last November we read some history magazines too.

I used to subscribe to National Geographic, hardcopy, but never renewed for some reason, though I enjoyed it a great deal. Just forgot, I suppose, or maybe the huge pile of NG's grew too cumbersome. I'll occasionally buy an issue still. I also sometimes buy some of the scientific magazines, like many people here, and the occasional fashion magazine, though the last one I picked up two months ago I still haven't read for some reason. 

I read the newspaper online, as well as one magazine called 'Emirates Woman,' but it's pretty lightweight. The articles are quite short and often frustrating, but good enough to see what might be going on in Dubai, and it's nice to read something local. 

I just started using my iPad to subscribe to two magazines I buy - Philosophy Now and Scientific American Mind - and I was pleasantly surprised.

The articles are very easy to read on the screen, and in a way I find it much easier to flick through than a hard copy. The aesthetics also seem to stand out for me more.

I just don't like having a pile of magazines lying around, and this is a good alternative I think.

Edited by Angury

I love both formats. I do use my tablet more tho. I got lots of magazines by doing the free trials 

Country Living (UK and USA)

Britain

Victoria

Southern Lady

LandLove

American Scholar

Oxford American

Lets Travel

National Geo

Southern Living

American History

Essence

Ebony

Country Life

BBC History

and several others 

Other magazines I have as printed copies because I can't find them on nook or Kindle.

My tablet goes with me most places so it definitely helps keeping the magazines on it for easy reading.

I just don't like having a pile of magazines lying around, and this is a good alternative I think.

It's a problem. I don't feel quite so cavalier about disposing of a magazine in the same way I do a newspaper, but I also don't feel it's a "real" book, so more often than not a stack of magazines builds up beside the bookcase or something. 

It's a problem. I don't feel quite so cavalier about disposing of a magazine in the same way I do a newspaper, but I also don't feel it's a "real" book, so more often than not a stack of magazines builds up beside the bookcase or something.

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. My parents think its ridiculous how difficult I find it to throw out magazines. But once I've read them I feel like they're mine, and throwing them out just feels like a betrayal.

Oddly enough I don't mind borrowing books from libraries and returning them as much - I don't feel as much ownership over them. Unless of course it's a book that touches me deeply, in which case I simply must go out and buy my own copy.

I love both formats. I do use my tablet more tho. I got lots of magazines by doing the free trials 

Country Living (UK and USA)

Britain

Victoria

Southern Lady

LandLove

American Scholar

Oxford American

Lets Travel

National Geo

Southern Living

American History

Essence

Ebony

Country Life

BBC History

and several others 

Other magazines I have as printed copies because I can't find them on nook or Kindle.

My tablet goes with me most places so it definitely helps keeping the magazines on it for easy reading.

Interesting list. I wish I had more time to read magazines - there are some great ones out there.

At present I have had to dwindle my list down to four:

- New Scientist (which I think I will have to stop, as I just don't have the time)

- Scientific American Mind

- Writers Forum

- Philosophy Now

I was in a bit of a dilemma about getting either the Writers Forum magazine or the Writing magazine. After reading both I felt that the articles in the Writers Forum struck more of a chord with me, but I still feel that in some way I have missed out by now getting both..

I also used to subscribe to the New Yorker mainly for their stories and poetry. I have to admit though that a lot of their stories didn't really stand out to me, which is a pity, because I have heard so much praise about the magazine.

Edited by Angury

But once I've read them I feel like they're mine, and throwing them out just feels like a betrayal.

Good old anthropomorphism! I feel the same way about clothes I don't wear often enough. They look too lonely just hanging there in the wardrobe. 

Just curious, do people buy hardcopies of their magazines or subscribe on an iPad/Kindle etc?

I only subscribe to one magazine but it is the digital edition for my iPad. It's a craft magazine, so I want to keep them all as I'll go back and use patterns in the future, but having just cleared out three shelves of old cross stitch magazines to free up some much needed space in our small house, the digital version wins hands down for me.

I like the fact I can zoom in to increase the size of the font if I need to, and to look at the detail without having to take my glasses off and squint as I would with a paper magazine. It also has the added benefit of having hyperlinks to other websites and articles for anything referenced in the magazine. The iPad edition has a scroll bar at the bottom (which you can hide when not searching) so you can quickly scroll through the pages to get to something you want, or go back to the table of contents at the beginning (which then has links to each article listed to get you back to the next thing you want to look at). :)

I have a subscription to the Times Literary Supplement which is weekly, but I too struggle to throw them away so currently have large stacks of them laying around. I also get a football magazine called Four Four Two. If I lived in 'merica I'd definitely get The New Yorker.

Virginia, what's American History like?

It's pretty interesting, like the British History magazine. It was the BH magazine that got me interested in the AH magazine. I don't have a subscription. I only purchase the ones that have interesting stories.