What magazines do you read?

emelee

Do you subscribe to any magazine or buy any in a store? Anything specific magazine you prefer?

I don't really subscribe to any magazine, but I get a few by the union, a store chain and other that I am a member of. I usually don't read them though. 

When I buy a magazine, I often choose either a lifestyle magazine (Swedish Plaza etc) or a interior design magazine (Plaza Interior, 25 beautiful homes etc) or a history/science magazine like Swedish Science illustrated.

I want to subscribe to Entertainment weekly (US), but it's ridiculously expensive.  

Nowadays I sometimes buy Psychologie Magazine (Psychology Magazine). In my past I've read Donald Duck Magazine (always enjoyed this), Tina, Fancy, various games magazines such as Gameplay and GamesTM and various other magazines (mainly those that came in a big pack with multiple magazines).

Amazingly, I haven't read a magazine now for three years.! I didn't realize that until I saw this topic. I have a few back issues of magazines in a box that I moved in with, about 20 in total. Most of them are popular science,  Focus and Scientific American . (mostly special issues) There are also a couple of National Geographics with articles about prehistoric humans, a couple of Men's Health,  An Empire film magazine , couple of  BBC History Magazine....then let's see...a couple of Maxim and a tattoo magazine. That's it.

I get Oprah magazine ( lots of good articles on improving your psyche, and the book section`s always good ) , American Vogue ( nice essays ) and Australian Women`s weekly ( it`s a monthly - good columnists, good recipes, good books` section ) . :smile:

I used to get Empire, and some of the Sci-Fi magazines, like SFX.

Edited by Little Pixie

It would be awesome to read a magazine about books but I haven't been able to find one that's how I like it. I've only been able to find one Dutch one and I did like it but it wasn't quite what I wanted. Google tells me in the US there are some book magazines, but that doesn't help me though. Oh well. I buy books instead :giggle2:.

It would be awesome to read a magazine about books but I haven't been able to find one that's how I like it. I've only been able to find one Dutch one and I did like it but it wasn't quite what I wanted. Google tells me in the US there are some book magazines, but that doesn't help me though. Oh well. I buy books instead :giggle2:.

Do you remember the names of any of them?  I looked up Empire Magazine, but I guess Kindle doesn''t have it.

Do you remember the names of any of them?  I looked up Empire Magazine, but I guess Kindle doesn''t have it.

I just googled for 'book magazine' I believe. I can try it again if you want:

It came up with New Books Magazine and this site with several titles. I didn't persue it much further when I couldn't find out ways to buy it from over here. There is a free and a paid for science fiction and fantasy magazine for Kindle. I downloaded a couple of the free ones and liked them, but stopped reading it at some point.

I currently subscribe to the Student BMJ (British Medical Journal) and Writers Digest, which is helpful for getting tips on creative writing.

I don't really read magazines anymore though. I sometimes have a peak at the Asiana magazine though (Asian Women Fashion magazine).

I just googled for 'book magazine' I believe. I can try it again if you want:

It came up with New Books Magazine and this site with several titles. I didn't persue it much further when I couldn't find out ways to buy it from over here. There is a free and a paid for science fiction and fantasy magazine for Kindle. I downloaded a couple of the free ones and liked them, but stopped reading it at some point.

Oh wow- I will check them out today! Right now, I LOVE BBC Magazines' book reviews.

Anyone read The London Review of Books?

We are receiving it, but I don't get to read all of it all the time.  It's quite good though.  We also get New York Review of Books in the mail.  I used to subscribe to Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine and Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine, and Science Fiction/Fantasy magazine.  But they just got too expensive to keep up.  They are a great way to find new authors though. 

I have a stack of The New Yorker around here, somewhere, and Time magazines.  Probably still have some Newsweek as well.  :)

I wish I hadn't thrown out the ancient National Geographic Magazines when we moved.  They went back decades.

We are receiving it, but I don't get to read all of it all the time.  It's quite good though.  We also get New York Review of Books in the mail. 

I wish I hadn't thrown out the ancient National Geographic Magazines when we moved.  They went back decades.

Good to know- and they are all available on Kindle :smile:

I loved those old National Geographic's, with the fold out maps- remember?  They don't do that anymore.

Good to know- and they are all available on Kindle :smile:

I loved those old National Geographic's, with the fold out maps- remember?  They don't do that anymore.

We get the paper copies in the mail.  Easier to share. :)

What a shame those maps are not on anymore!

Amazon.com allows me to download some American magazines on Kindle, but past issues do get deleted at some point which I find a shame. It's great though that they allow me, from the Netherlands, to subscribe to some American magazines. I don't know most of them. I seem to go through fases in my life where I read certain types of magazines. Lately though I decided I'd buy a book instead of a magazine, since they're more value for money (pageswise at least). But then I used a parking space meant for visitors of the book/magazine shop so I went in and bought a nice magazine (so I didn't feel bad about using the parking space and no one could say I didn't buy anything from the shop). I needed to be nearby and was afraid of parking in the other spots since it's much more complicated. I haven't read the magazine yet but I look forward to it (want to finish my book first), I do find magazines can be a lot of fun, just that I enjoy reading books more. I've also saved some money up in the bank for which they gave me a magazine voucher so I bought three issues of the Donald Duck Magazine (I didn't really like any of the other magazines on offer). I've read the first one, the second one has just arrived in the post yesterday and the third one should be there next week.

(hmm hmm sorry if this was a bit rambly..)

I read Humo weekly, which is a general magazine but always tackles very interesting topics in a unique way. I had a subscription but am currently buying it on a weekly basis.

I also have a subscription to Historia and like reading magazines about history in general. I enjoy the BBC History Magazine articles I get to read.

• 2 weeks later...

I love Ireland of the Welcomes but their distributors no longer sell to Barnes and Nobles. I sent them an FB message and they said they were currently searching for a new distributor. I love the magazine but can't afford the subscription so I really hate not being able to buy it from them. Of course it would happen when I start working there. It will be my luck that they will start selling again once I'm gone!

Two of my other favorites are Country Living UK/USA and Country Life. I also enjoy History magazine, Mother Earth and Victoria Bliss magazine.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Having just had a clear out of a shelf full of cross stitch magazines, I've decided to bite the bullet and subscribe to a patchwork and quilting magazine, but to save my shelves getting full, I've gone for the digital version for my tablet.  I had previously downloaded them one month at a time, but I do love reading them and the annual subscription is much cheaper … and takes up no space in the house! :D