World Cup 2014 Thread

geordie9

Huh... I was right. Portugal is almost out and Italy is out after today's defeat.

Bosnia is also out. 

Russia needs to win their match or they are out. Greece needs to win while Japan needs to lose for Greece to advance. Switzerland needs to win and hope for a good result in the other match to advance. 

The Netherlands, France & Belgium are the only European countries that are ready for the next round. Germany is almost there, but they either need 1 more point or for Portugal or Ghana to win with too few goals in their match to advance. So it's a 90% chance that Germany will advance too. I can't see how they will miss it, to be honest.  

While it is true that soccer is far behind other Sports in the U.S., like the NFL, Baseball, NBA Basketball and NCAA football and basketball, it is no sure thing that Germany will beat the U.S. in the World Cup, in fact I believe the U.S. will knock them out.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While it is true that soccer is far behind other Sports in the U.S., like the NFL, Baseball, NBA Basketball and NCAA football and basketball, it is no sure thing that Germany will beat the U.S. in the World Cup, in fact I believe the U.S. will knock them out.

Ah ... not to be. Germany sailed through. Interesting matches as any one of the remaining three teams could have gone through but that early 4-0 defeat to Germany put paid to Portugal's chances and Ghana couldn't quite do enough. Well done to the USA for advancing ... Belgium next I think. 

So here are the next matches:

Brazil vs Chile

Colombia vs Uruguay

Holland vs Mexico

Costa Rica vs Greece

France vs Nigeria

Germany vs Algeria

Argentina vs Switzerland

Belgium vs USA

I am gonna take a guess that Brazil, Colombia, Holland, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Argentina & Belgium will go forward. 

Germany is never to be counted out. They next to always advance to the round of 16 & the quarterfinal. That is why I assumed they would win their group, like they did. USA did a good job focusing on the defense though. But they sure as heck didn't focus on the offense. IMO, they didn't want to lose with too many goals - to keep Ghana and Portugal behind them. Mission accomplished. 

I still have a feeling for Argentina, but they'll have to step their game up a level. It's interesting to see that Costa Rica have a very good chance of reaching the quarter-finals.

Looking ahead to the QFs, I'd say that Brazil will be the underdogs in their own country! I haven't been very impressed with what I've seen of them so far.  Then again, I haven't really seen any stand-out performances yet. In my opinion the strongest teams overall so far have been Colombia, The Netherlands and France.

I wouldn't feel bad about it - according to British TV I'm currently watching Holland :D

I once had to explain the difference between England and the UK to a global politics university class in Sydney.

England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland are separate countries, although they form part of the joint entity of the UK which holds our seats on the United Nations, etc. We compete separately at football (except at the Olympics, because we enter the Olympics as Great Britain just to confuse the issue further!). It all goes back to history, for example until 1603 Scotland had a separate King, but when the Queen of England died the King of Scotland was her natural heir and he ruled both.

I'm half English, half Welsh, and my optimism, itsmeagain, mainly falls under the fact that the Euro finals extend to 24 rather than 16 teams from 2016 :D

I know they're all different and even though I wasn't aware of all those ^ details above, I am aware of the stuff. In that respect, it still doesn't make any sense to me.

However, after my last post I've learned that the sports was invented by you guys, and you have different football associations, and that's what settles it for me.

Edit: I hope I don't sound like an ignorant arrogant barsteward :blush: 

Edited by frankie

The only team that has impressed me so far is Colombia. If Brazil beats them in the quarterfinal, then I believe Brazil will win the World Cup. 

But IMO, ALL teams need to step up. So many of the favorites have been close to losing. Brazil for one! They were lucky. 

Germany played awfully yesterday. It was not their day. They could not even pass the ball right. Argentina was not too far from being as awful. 

By the way: World Cup 2022, will be played in Qatar. Is FIFA trying to KILL players???? If northern Brazil is seriously hot during summers, what isn't Qatar then? 

Netherlands probably will win if Robben keeps diving  :rolleyes:   Had to laugh at him admitting he dived and then, after the resulting uproar, saying ""It's a shame because I was very honest. Maybe sometimes you are punished for honesty."   If you were honest, mate, you wouldn't dive in the first place! :doh:

The knock out stages have been disappointing compared to the group stage. Nobody seems to be on fire .. yet.

It's all gone a bit cagey, hasn't it?  Having said that, I thought the Germany vs Algeria game was brilliant, and Brazil vs Chile wasn't bad either.  And the extra time in last night's Belgium vs USA game was really exciting.  I was disappointed USA lost - I thought they deserved to at least get to penalties.  The rest of the second round games have all been a bit 'meh', though.

It seems to me that all teams are going all-out on the attack, but the standard of finishing is declining as the tournament progresses. How many chances did Belgium have last night? Maybe I've been spoiled by watching the silky-smooth skills of St Austell AFC!

It seems to me that all teams are going all-out on the attack, but the standard of finishing is declining as the tournament progresses. How many chances did Belgium have last night? Maybe I've been spoiled by watching the silky-smooth skills of St Austell AFC!

Belgium had 27 shots on target. It was a really exciting match to watch, but they should have finished more of their shots. But then again, only one player in the entire team has been at a World Cup before. It's exciting to see our team do so well after all those years of almost being ashamed of your country's team's performance. Also, hat off to Howard - he stopped the highest amount of goals in one game since 1966. If it hadn't been for his skills, I'm sure we would've won by a much larger difference.

Well said Sedge...nothing like supporting the wee teams as you well know.... :D

I agree with those who say the first 8 matches of the knock-outs were disappointing. I didn't really get impressed with anyone. Maybe Colombia, as I said above. But it seemed like everyone had a bad day IMO, all these matches. Everyone needs to step up for next round. 

I did guess all 8 matches correctly though, but I thought it would be easier for those 8 teams to win! Much easier. 5 out of 8 matches had to go to extra time! And 3 of them to penalty kicks!!! Therefore, it is impossible to guess the outcome for the quarterfinals. They pretty much all stunk in the first knock-out round. 

To me, it feels like the teams who wakes up on the right side will go forward to the semifinals. But I will take a guess........... And after watching the first round, I am going to be a complete pessimist!

Brazil - Colombia ---> Brazil
France - Germany ---> France

Holland - Costa Rica ---> Holland

Argentina - Belgium ---> Argentina

BUT............. I'd be thrilled if I am wrong on all of them. I am rooting for Colombia, Germany, Costa Rica & Belgium.  :D

And if I am correct, then I'd at least be happy to be correct......  :doh:

I think you are probably correct in your predictions emelee.

As for me, I have been bored silly by most of the last 8 games.

Even last night, Belgium v USA  was a shocker, despite our BBC  staff claiming on tv that it was somehow brilliant.

My wife is Brazilian, she too is really disappointed with the standard of play from them. We saw them cheat v Croatia, who frankly  were robbed of a win that night.

Robben cheated too to rob Mexico.

Such a demeaning of the great game means I hope they get their just deserts..and soon.

You all rock!  I know all this stuff and the people around me are like, "huh?" :giggle2: Seriously, everyone I know asks me about World Cup.  I just know from what I've read here and I've been enjoying the discussions- thanks! :P

Belgium had 27 shots on target. It was a really exciting match to watch, but they should have finished more of their shots. But then again, only one player in the entire team has been at a World Cup before. It's exciting to see our team do so well after all those years of almost being ashamed of your country's team's performance. Also, hat off to Howard - he stopped the highest amount of goals in one game since 1966. If it hadn't been for his skills, I'm sure we would've won by a much larger difference.

I agree with your comments. Howard is a very good player, however, the rest of the U.S. team doesn't stand-up to the Belgium players and Belgium would have won by a larger margin if not for Howard.

Not an excuse but Soccer just isn't a real popular sport in the U.S. and the most talented athletes go into other type of sports. Perhaps someday it will become popular and the U.S. will be able to better compete with other countries.