World Cup 2014 Thread

geordie9

The US team have come an incredibly long way in the last 20 years. I think they'll become a real force over the next couple of tournaments.  You have to admire their sheer enthusiasm! Too many countries have become complacent about competing in the World Cup. Just being there is a terrific achievement.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Argentina - Belgium, what a grating match to win. Argentina scored and then they held up the entire game, kept trying to win time, slow down the game, and got away with too much. Belgium definitely deserved to go on, but this isn't a defeat. If it weren't for that early accidental goal, it would have been an entirely different match. But well, better luck next time for us. I'm still proud of our team.

The Netherlands - Costa Rica was almost as grating to watch :P Congratulations on The Netherlands for going on to the semi finals, although I have to admit it'd have been nice to see Costa Rica go on, it'd have been a really nice surprise to see some other teams go further.

And what a shame about Neymar, I wonder how Brazil is going to handle that!

I fear it will be Brazil vs Argentina in the finale more and more. To many, a dream finale - to me a big snore-fest. 

I want Germany in the finale. It´s about time they won a better medal. They are so often in the quarterfinale and semifinale, but it's been so long since they won the whole enchilada.  :giggle2:

The US team have come an incredibly long way in the last 20 years. I think they'll become a real force over the next couple of tournaments.  You have to admire their sheer enthusiasm! Too many countries have become complacent about competing in the World Cup. Just being there is a terrific achievement.

I agree but often it's not complacency it's pressure. With it being a relatively new sport in the US there were no expectations. There's no monkey on their back .. they play with confidence and freedom. That's something the English players find hard to do rightly or wrongly. Our foreign managers have always confirmed this ... the pressure from the media and fans is intense. I thought England played well against Italy but they got ripped to shreds by the media just the same and some of them were unfairly singled out. 

Agreed Kay. England played ok v Italy but not good enough. Pressure, tension, anxiety...I just get the feeling that they have an inferiority complex now. Since Euro 2012 our media have not bigged them up as they once did. If you think players believe their own hype, well I also get the feeling that they are swallowing and believing the media negativity now too. They lack quality all over the pitch, and that counts for much too.

Edited by itsmeagain

What on earth is going on.....5-0 HT...!

Good grief....7-1....who would have thought....!

Edited by Inver

I was shocked and amused by the match last night.  This Brazil team is incredibly average, imo, and are nothing without Neymar.  I don't think even England would have capitulated so spectacularly.  After all the favours they've been granted by the referees this tournament, after all the pundits in raptures before every World Cup  about how great Brazilian football is (as far as I'm concerned they haven't played great football since the early 80s!), I was delighted.  Well done Germany - I don't think they're being given enough credit for dismantling the opposition so thoroughly (loved seeing Shearer putting Hansen in his place, finally!).

Don't mind who wins tonight, as I like both teams, but I would love to see Messi in the final :smile:

Don't mind who wins tonight, as I like both teams, but I would love to see Messi in the final :smile:

I'd love a messy football match!

... :rolleyes::D

So who are playing against the Netherlands tonight? Athena, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and your country :) 

I'd love a messy football match!

... :rolleyes::D

So who are playing against the Netherlands tonight? Athena, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and your country :)

:lol:

Thanks Frankie, that's very nice of you :).

I was shocked and amused by the match last night. This Brazil team is incredibly average, imo, and are nothing without Neymar. I don't think even England would have capitulated so spectacularly. After all the favours they've been granted by the referees this tournament, after all the pundits in raptures before every World Cup about how great Brazilian football is (as far as I'm concerned they haven't played great football since the early 80s!), I was delighted. Well done Germany - I don't think they're being given enough credit for dismantling the opposition so thoroughly (loved seeing Shearer putting Hansen in his place, finally!).

I abhor Alan Shearer. Just to balance it out a bit, I think he is a smug self satisfied arbiter of all that is right, etc...and is usually wrong...come on Holland. Edited by itsmeagain

What I did find telling was how angry the German players were at conceding that single goal. That's the kind of passion that wins World Cups!

I was shocked and amused by the match last night.  This Brazil team is incredibly average, imo, and are nothing without Neymar.  I don't think even England would have capitulated so spectacularly.  After all the favours they've been granted by the referees this tournament, after all the pundits in raptures before every World Cup  about how great Brazilian football is (as far as I'm concerned they haven't played great football since the early 80s!), I was delighted.  Well done Germany - I don't think they're being given enough credit for dismantling the opposition so thoroughly (loved seeing Shearer putting Hansen in his place, finally!).

No!!!! Have you forgotten 'the hand of God' ??!!?? :D 

I haven't .. come on the Netherlands! :D 

Unlucky Holland. I thought they deserved to get to the final. I think Germany should win it now, they deserve it after some of the performances they've put in!