World Cup 2014 Thread

geordie9

A thread to chat about everything World Cup. The Brazil - Croatia match was a decent opening to the tournament. Definitely didn't think it was a penalty for Brazils 2nd goal. I also thought Neymar looked as if he's going to have a good tournament.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mexico deserved their win, 2 goals chalked off when they were legitimate goals. Holland....wow, i had a feeling they would beat Spain but i didnt think they would destroy them like that. They could go all the way if they keep players fit. Can't wait till tomorrow..... COME ON ENGLAND!!!!

Netherland game was amazing...well done. Now who will I support tomorrow?....ah yes Lads v Dads U'16's game tomorrow afternoon...that will do.

I'm not too interested in the World Cup but for all the Dutch people who are, I'm glad the Netherlands won so those people can be happy. I read the UK will be playing in a bit, for all you UK people's sake, I hope they win :).

I still think Spain are in with a shout. Just a (very) bad day at the office. As long as del Bosque doesn't panic and change the side too much, I think they'll do OK. I have an inkling that Argentina might just sneak it though.

Big shock that Spain went down so badly .. not the start they wanted for sure. Excellent start by Holland .. awesome stuff.

England vs Italy tonight .. late kick-off  :unsure: Regardless of result I hope we play well  :blush2: Would appreciate it if I didn't have to watch from behind a cushion for once  :D Don't ruin my night's sleep England!  :D 

I'm not, I got an extra pint tonight because the pub didn't close at 12 like normal. 

In other news, some guys kicking a fake pig's bladder round a park in South America had a bad evening, or so I've heard . . .

*yawn*

Oh don't .. I'm feeling sorry for him :blush2: Wayne however is glad of the rest for five mins :D My facebook feed has practically melted with the combined outrage of all my rellies and friends. I must say I've never had to read the phrase  'useless load of sh*te' so often in one night :D  

I must admit I had low expectations and they haven't exceeded them :D I thought the Italy match was good but tonight .. second half especially was pretty dire.

I am absolutely fed up now with an under achieving, unpassionate (is that a word?), overpaid bunch of footballers letting us down all the time. Big changes are needed and id start with putting a cap on foreigners playing in Premier League, we need more English players coming through. Get rid of Rooney, Gerrard, Johnson & Jagielka, bring in youngsters to prepare for Euros and get Alan Shearer as manager (im biased)

I am absolutely fed up now with an under achieving, unpassionate (is that a word?), overpaid bunch of footballers letting us down all the time. Big changes are needed and id start with putting a cap on foreigners playing in Premier League, we need more English players coming through. Get rid of Rooney, Gerrard, Johnson & Jagielka, bring in youngsters to prepare for Euros and get Alan Shearer as manager (im biased)

Rooney both scored and set up a goal. I think he's unfairly singled out ... so much so that it must dent his confidence. I totally agree that they're overpaid but that's not their decision is it? They don't under achieve at club level .. they wouldn't stay in the premiership for long if they did. We've nearly always had trouble getting an England side to gel and the line up constantly changes. 

We were in the worst group and playing in heat conditions that we're not used to (all the other teams in our group are far more used to playing in heat.) I know all that sounds like excuses but realistically ... even on paper ... we are ranked lower than Italy and Uruguay so it's not a surprise we lost to them. We need more home grown talent for sure but whenever I hear Trevor Brooking talk about it he says there's been a lack of talent coming through for years now. Despite the high wages .. kids just aren't as passionate about playing the game as they used to be. British kids anyway. I wish Gareth Bale wasn't Welsh  :D

Just my opinion anyway. I was so disappointed last night but ended up more ashamed of English people than English players ... the vitriol on social media was unacceptable in my view.

I'd like to see the FA stick with Hodgson ... I thought we played the best I've seen us in a long while against Italy and it is early days for this team. The defence needs sorting though ... you could usually rely on Ferdinand, Terry and Cole ... now it's all a bit shaky.

Sorry for rambling  :blush2: Hope we play well against Costa Rica .. good luck to all other teams  :smile:

Well said poppy shake :)

It seems to be ignored that we weren't that good in the 1970s or 80s either when footballers weren't paid that much and there were few non British players in the then First Division.

I think that Rooney hasn't been great - but neither have Gerrard, Johnson, Jagielka, Baines etc and they are spared the vitriol Rooney gets - even though they have been criticised.

The Rooney negativity was in full flow before a ball was kicked - how is that helpful?

I don't like Rooney at all, but I've been drawn into defending him through all this nonsense!

Rooney both scored and set up a goal. I think he's unfairly singled out ... so much so that it must dent his confidence. I totally agree that they're overpaid but that's not their decision is it? They don't under achieve at club level .. they wouldn't stay in the premiership for long if they did. We've nearly always had trouble getting an England side to gel and the line up constantly changes. 

We were in the worst group and playing in heat conditions that we're not used to (all the other teams in our group are far more used to playing in heat.) I know all that sounds like excuses but realistically ... even on paper ... we are ranked lower than Italy and Uruguay so it's not a surprise we lost to them. We need more home grown talent for sure but whenever I hear Trevor Brooking talk about it he says there's been a lack of talent coming through for years now. Despite the high wages .. kids just aren't as passionate about playing the game as they used to be. British kids anyway. I wish Gareth Bale wasn't Welsh  :D

Just my opinion anyway. I was so disappointed last night but ended up more ashamed of English people than English players ... the vitriol on social media was unacceptable in my view.

I'd like to see the FA stick with Hodgson ... I thought we played the best I've seen us in a long while against Italy and it is early days for this team. The defence needs sorting though ... you could usually rely on Ferdinand, Terry and Cole ... now it's all a bit shaky.

Sorry for rambling  :blush2: Hope we play well against Costa Rica .. good luck to all other teams  :smile:

Well said.  I have found the scapegoating of Rooney appalling and sadly predictable, given his £300k per week wages, but our real problems are at the other end of the pitch.  The media (and now social media) always seem to do this sort of thing at every tournament.  I also find the way the media makes it all about our shortcomings rather than giving the opposition some credit quite irritating.  Italy found a weakness in our team and exploited it brilliantly.  Uruguay have a world class (honorary-Scouser) striker without whom they would've lost, and defended very well as a team.

Personally, I'd like to see Hodgson continue.  I think we're taking small steps in the right direction.  Give him another two years till the Euros and see if he can sort it out.

The problem for our players is that they are playing with more foreigners than English players week in, week out.  If only we could put a cap on the number of foreign players per team.  It's no wonder Gerrard headed that ball through for 'Stevie' Suarez - he probably thought he was wearing red :giggle2:

And just when I thought the commentary couldn't get any worse than Phil Neville, Robbie Savage turns up :doh:  :no:  :lol:

I notice it's players who either currently or used to play in the Premier League that are doing for us.  Ballotelli, Suarez, and now Bryan Bloody Ruiz, who couldn't score for Fulham if he was a yard off the goal line facing an empty net  :lol: