Anybody know anything about horses?

vodkafan

Specifically , breaking in or backing a horse that's not been ridden before. It's for a passage on my book. There is a part where one of the female characters is given a horse to ride deliberately that has not been ridden before in an attempt to humiliate her, but she manages to stay on it .  Like most people who don't know anything I was influenced by the films I have seen: where some cowboy gets on a wild bronco and after he tires the horse (and breaks its spirit) he lets anybody ride him. (The horse, not the cowboy!)

But now I am not sure how realistic this really is; I looked on Wiki about horse training and it says that horses are trained for years on ropes and by one to one with their grooms and owners before anyone attempts to ride them.

Nobody just throws a saddle on a wild horse and gets on it- it just doesn't happen.

Anybody can help out? 

Edited by vodkafan

I used to ride a lot back in the day when my grandma had horses VF, but I don't know much about breaking one in.  I do know that it requires a lot of time and training to gain a horse's trust, and it's kind of a step by step process.  Getting them used to having a halter on, leading them on a rope, getting a saddle on to actually riding it in the saddle.  It might be good to read up on the gentleman who's known as the 'Horse Whisperer' since he supposedly has the secret on training horses. 

Good luck! :D

Thanks Peace! That backs up what the Wiki articles told me....so why then do Rodeo horses buck and kick the way they do? Are they specially trained just for entertainment purposes? 

VF, usually those 'bucking broncos' aren't fully tamed/broken, which is why they buck. They want to get that annoying thing off their back! lol

Some might be specifically trained for it, but I think the majority are just untrained.

Rodeo horses buck because of the bucking strap around their middle which irritates the genital area. Animal advocacy groups actively oppose rideos for the various different cruelties.

As for your riding scene - that "traditional" idea of "breaking" a horse is outdated and cruel. No-one does it like that, and even when they sort of did it was rare that it was like in the movies.

If she does not know how to ride just let him put her on a difficult horse. That will be more than enough challenge.