What's up in June?

Athena

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am finally off to Iceland tomorrow - it will be a busy and fun packed 17 days filled with (hopefully) sunshine, some aching muscles and a bit of reading. The temperature in Reykjavik today was a very reasonable 15 degrees, although a bit chillier in the northwest where I am heading off to on Saturday. It will be fun exploring all those uninhabited regions that I haven't been to before, but I am sure the south and the northeast, which are slightly more populated, by birds if not people will be too ! :smile:

I'm going to an advance showing of the Fault In Our Stars movie tomorrow - aaaahhhhh!

Reread the book today (yep, in one day!) to refresh my memory. I'd forgotten how good it is. Can't wait for the film!

Work, work and more work. I still love it but its taking a toll on my legs and neck. Tomorrow marks the one year "anniversary" of my spinal fusion surgery. I had no cartilege from my C3 to C7 vertibrea. Without that surgery Iwould have been at risk of being paralized had I been in an accident. Not to mention the brutal pain in my neck! It seems to be remembering my pain as I am feeling discomfort. I think I'll be calling my doctor tomorrow to have another looksee.

Lifes pretty hectic. I seem to be getting called in on my days off. Might as well not give me the days off! I'm going to be saying no a little more often after I get back from vacation in July. I did complete a book last week. I spent over half my pitiful paycheck on merchandise at work as we were celebrating employee appreciation week which meant we could purchase stuff at a SERIOUS discount! I then got sick off the dip they served, caught a major migraine headache and then yesterday, my left arm cramped up so bad I was walking around like Quasi-moto (sp) until my manager found out, made me si in the breakroom and push down two bottled waters and a bottle of gator aid (which he went out and purchased for me). I was so touched by the jester that I stayed later to help close the store.

Now I'm tired but cant close my eyes and actually sleep but I know I need to because Ihave to hit the floor running tomorrow.

June, I hope you have a lovely time in Iceland.

Noll, I hope you enjoy the movie :).

Virginia, I hope you get some more time to rest soon. It doesn't seem to be fair that you get called in a lot on your days off. How is your back feeling?

There will be a full moon tonight called the Honey Moon and it will occur on Friday the 13th. There will not be another full moon on Friday 13th until 2049. So, this will be the last

one that I will ever see. :)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/12/full-moon-friday-13th-2014_n_5488236.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl5%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D488209

Giving my two weeks notice.

From what you said over yonder, that's probably the best course. 

There is the off chance they'll straighten up and fly right, but that's rather slim.

I agree. Something tells me they have had a habit of doing this without consequences. Most of the younger staff wouldn't care but Ihave real life responsibilites. If they can make it work, I'm willing to give it a try but if I sense an attitude then off I go into the wild blue yonder, lol!

On Thursday we drive up to Washington, DC to see our doctor for a medical checkup. He is going to give us a complete physical this trip. It is approx. a 280 mi trip (one way). While in DC I will pick up a case of wine that I ordered from a wine store. :)

My legs and arms have developed a rash, possibly from the tick bite I had about 3 weeks ago. I will have the doctor check it out. Last week I had to take my wife to the Urgent Care Center in Winston Salem, NC. She seems to be OK right now.

On another note the temperature is pretty hot. The forecast is for 8 or more straight days of over 90 degree heat starting today. Got an email from our GD in Alaska with some photos attached. She is enjoying the internship and is getting to see many different sights. She sees Moose every day.

Edited by muggle not

On Thursday we drive up to Washington, DC to see our doctor for a medical checkup. He is going to give us a complete physical this trip. It is approx. a 280 mi trip (one way). While in DC I will pick up a case of wine that I ordered from a wine store. :)

On another note the temperature is pretty hot. The forecast is for 8 or more straight days of over 90 degree heat starting today. Got an email from our GD in Alaska with some photos attached. She is enjoying the internship and is getting to see many different sights. She sees Moose every day.

A Moose!!!  I love Mooses.  Or Moose.  Whatever.  Hot here too, but that's not a big surprise.  It's about the upper 80's to 90.  Have fun in DC, outside of Netherlands, it's my favorite place I've ever been.  I used to work there, in radio. All those hot Senator Assistants= yum lol j/k  Will you have anytime to sightsee?

Edited by Anna Begins

A Moose!!!  I love Mooses.  Or Moose.  Whatever.  Hot here too, but that's not a big surprise.  It's about the upper 80's to 90.  Have fun in DC, outside of Netherlands, it's my favorite place I've ever been.  I used to work there, in radio. All those hot Senator Assistants= yum lol j/k  Will you have anytime to sightsee?

My only sightseeing will be at Calvert Woodley wine store. We are driving up and back the same day. We lived outside of DC for many years in suburban Maryland. Yes, DC is a nice city.

I hope you both pass your Washington physical with flying colours Muggle Not. I hope the rash clears up soon too.

P.S. That is one handsome Moose. :smile:

Yes, it is a handsome Moose, it looks somewhat like me. :)

Edited by muggle not

We did a marathon of Northern Exposure one of our grandsons' asked what sound the moose made (he was watching the opening credits). For the life of me I couldn't tell him. I had to google it. Had a good laugh listening to him trying to imitate the moose!

I'm hanging around in the music department at work ;(while working) nothing much going on. Don't think I'd like to be stuck over here all day or else I'd be tempted to surf the net ;):giggle2: . Can't wait till I get off. No work tomorrow which is good cause I am tired. Had the grands over last night and they didn't get picked up til after 1am. Trying to keep two toddler/wobblers out of mischief is an exhausting job. I'd have drunk a bottle of wine, (no glass needed thank you very much) if I had the energy to lift the bottle! Hoping I won't be too tired to start on my 1000 piece puzzle.

Muggle, I hope you and your wife will do well at the doctor's.

Virginia, I hope you enjoy your day off!

It's early in the morning here now, I'll be off to some doctor's appointments later on.

I'm off today and plan on keeping it on the down low. My daughter has a habit of  needing to occupy any free time I have, to keep the kids. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE keeping my grands but I have to have time to do what I need and want to do. Besides, I'm a little ticked at her right now. She has no sense of appropriate times to call. We work very hard and when we sleep, its well earned. Imagined how disgusted we get when the phone rings at 2am because she needs the password for my Netflix account because she's up and having her usual contractions. She calls my cell, which I put on silent at night because she would call, so then she calls the house phone and wakes both of us, UGH! She won't wake her husband up because he has to be at work in the morning, yet has no problem calling us. If she knows I'm off today she'll call asking if I can watch the kids because she has been up all night and feels bad. Sorry, I have heard that one WAAAY too many times. So, I'm playing hooky the rest of the week! ;):lurker::P

muggle, hope the doc's go fine, and you drive carefully! :) 

We love D.C. too.  I've only been twice, but husband spent quite a lot of time there before he retired.  Have you ever been to the State Dept;'s annual book sale in October?  Marvelous! :)

Athena, take care today, I'll be thinking of you.  :friends3:

LOL, Virginia, I don't blame you a bit, I'd hide too!  :D

P.S. That is one handsome Moose. :smile:

Yes, it is a handsome Moose, it looks somewhat like me. :)

Round the antlers, you reckon?? :giggle2:

Safe trip to DC, Muggles and hope you and your wife both get good reports  :friends0:

I'm off today and plan on keeping it on the down low. My daughter has a habit of needing to occupy any free time I have, to keep the kids. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE keeping my grands but I have to have time to do what I need and want to do. Besides, I'm a little ticked at her right now. She has no sense of appropriate times to call. We work very hard and when we sleep, its well earned. Imagined how disgusted we get when the phone rings at 2am because she needs the password for my Netflix account because she's up and having her usual contractions. She calls my cell, which I put on silent at night because she would call, so then she calls the house phone and wakes both of us, UGH! She won't wake her husband up because he has to be at work in the morning, yet has no problem calling us. If she knows I'm off today she'll call asking if I can watch the kids because she has been up all night and feels bad. Sorry, I have heard that one WAAAY too many times. So, I'm playing hooky the rest of the week! ;):lurker::P

Wow Virginia, it sounds like your daughter isn't thinking at all when she's phoning you. I feel for you.

Athena, take care today, I'll be thinking of you.  :friends3:

Thanks Pontalba :). It went well but I'm very tired from it (I'll make a post in my Member thread later).

We decided to have a day out today and went to visit the beautiful gardens at Hidcote.  It's owned by the National Trust and we're members, so we get free entry to individual sites, and June is the perfect time to visit the gardens.  We got there fairly early, but it was a gorgeous day, and already quite a few other visitors around, but it was quiet enough to have a lovely wander around and I took a few photos:

post-4870-0-71867300-1403280564_thumb.jpgpost-4870-0-84604400-1403280568_thumb.jpgpost-4870-0-28746900-1403280566_thumb.jpgpost-4870-0-74607200-1403280569_thumb.jpgpost-4870-0-79368600-1403280567_thumb.jpg

These were just taken on my phone, but have come out reasonably well.  My OH had the camera, and took lots more closeups of the flowers, so if you're interested you can have a look at his photos from today here.

The journey home was a bit troublesome as there were problems on the motorway, and being summer silly season, we felt it worth avoiding them, so had to come back on the A roads which added an extra hour to the journey, but home safe and sound so I'm not going to complain too much! :D

These were just taken on my phone, but have come out reasonably well.  My OH had the camera, and took lots more closeups of the flowers, so if you're interested you can have a look at his photos from today here.

Oh my Gosh- those flowers are gorgeous!  Your OH takes beautiful photo's.