What's up in June?

Athena

We have a few baby chicken! The mother unfortunately walked off the nest, yesterday. A few mins later the first one hatched. To keep him/her warm I held him/her for a while. Then we put him underneath one of our other chicken who's sitting on a nest (without eggs) and put some of the other eggs underneath her. A few had cracks in them. The mother is still not back on the nest today so I don't think she's coming back. Two of the little chicken are black and white, one is completely white. There may be more underneath the 'new mother', we're not sure yet. Some might still hatch today (we put some other eggs underneath two other chicken). I'm hoping there'll be more little chicken because they're cute.

My boyfriend has been working hard to be done before his own deadline on June 6 (this coming Friday). I've been helping him with bits and I hope he can relax some after the 6th, he deserves it!

What's up in June for you?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chickens! Baby chickens! Can we see photos of them? :D

Not much up with me today, compiling a McBusted playlist for my friend and I as we're travelling up to Dublin tomorrow night to see the lads play! Other than that, getting a bit of reading done and having a fairly chilled out day!

Athena.. I love your baby chickens, they are so cute!!!

I have some news, one bad and one good. My uncle passed away yesterday after a long disease. I'm not too sad now, because I think it was too much pain for him and it was definitely unfair.

His daughter, my cousin and friend, just had her baby, a little boy named Davide, born ten days ago. My uncle, at least, met his nephew.

Ele, very sorry for your loss, but I think you have the right attitude.  :friends0:

And.....congrats on the new addition!  It is good that they met. :)

Athena, baby chicks!  They are truly adorable.  Good thing you had another setting hen!

It's still raining here......should be for another two days, at least.  Rivers are flooding in the low areas around here, but fortunately we are on high ground. 

Edited by pontalba

I'm sorry as well for your uncle's passing, Eleonora.  It's so lovely he was able to meet his nephew, and got to spend a little time with him :)

It's been a rainy weekend up here also, Pontalba.  We're under a flash flood watch here today so hopefully it's just that, a watch.  We just got home from the lake a few hours ago and it was nice to see it again after not having been up since last autumn.  I did have to break out my lumberjack skills and saw in half a small tree that had fallen over the driveway :icon_eek:.  Luckily it was pretty dead and brittle. 

I'm enjoying the last few hours of my weekend now with pizza and salad and some rare BCF time.  I hope everyone has a wonderful week ahead of them! :D

Ele, I'm so sorry for your loss :(. Congrats with your nephew :).

Here's a photo of the three baby chicken:

IMG-20140602-WA0000.jpg

I was just with them, and it looks like number four is on its way! A little beaky was visible, and it moved. It's exciting.

Had to give a technical seminar on electrochemiluminescence today. Which involved talking about the principle reactions of Tris-pyridylmethylamine and Tris-bipyridyldichlororutheniumhexahydrate :thud:

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious !! :D

Tris-pyridylmethylamine and Tris-bipyridyldichlororutheniumhexahydrate

Well that's the names for the three chicks sorted out then Athena! :giggle2:

I'm sorry about your Uncle Eleonora, but glad that his pain is now over. Many congratulations on the new family member, how lovely that your Uncle got to meet him.

:friends0:

Thank you so much everybody!!

Today is a national celebration here: today we celebrate the Republic of Italy.. but I worked anyway. It's getting hot and I'm not too happy about it. I wish I had a little rain, but no clouds in the sky.

I pulled out all the radishes from the garden and threw most away and kept maybe 2 dozen. Picked a bunch of spinach and will have salads the next several days.

Oh yeah, was trimming the shrubbery with an electric hedge trimmer and somehow got my leg right above the knee.

Also, over the weekend I found a "tick" in a sensitive place on me. Pulled it out with the tweezers but it came apart while doing so. Poured peroxide on it. Today I have a little swelling about the size of a bean.

Edited by muggle not

I pulled out all the radishes from the garden and threw most away and kept maybe 2 dozen. Picked a bunch of spinach and will have salads the next several days.

Oh yeah, was trimming the shrubbery with an electric hedge trimmer and somehow got my leg right above the knee.

Also, over the weekend I found a "tick" in a sensitive place on me. Pulled it out with the tweezers but it came apart while doing so. Poured peroxide on it. Today I have a little swelling about the size of a bean.

Yikes, muggle! Stitches?? : eek:

Re ticks...watch for Lyme disease markings, symptoms. Next time use a just burned out match on the tick. It is supposed to make them withdraw. Or alcohol.

I just got back from seeing McBusted in Dublin. My gaaaaaaaaawd those guys know how to put on a show. At one point they were, while playing songs, suspended over our heads on a UFO. And there were supergiant light basketballs/footballs bouncing around, and heart shaped confetti and streamers and fire and video skits leading into parts of the show and an actual prop DeLorean which was lowered onto the stage and just wow. Such showmanship. Thoroughly enjoyed it!

Had to give a technical seminar on electrochemiluminescence today. Which involved talking about the principle reactions of Tris-pyridylmethylamine and Tris-bipyridyldichlororutheniumhexahydrate :thud:

Woohoo, chemistry! 

:D

:lol:!

Ouch! I hope your leg will be allright and that things will be allright with the tick too, Lyme's disease is terrible. Keep an eye on it.

I just got back from seeing McBusted in Dublin. My gaaaaaaaaawd those guys know how to put on a show. At one point they were, while playing songs, suspended over our heads on a UFO. And there were supergiant light basketballs/footballs bouncing around, and heart shaped confetti and streamers and fire and video skits leading into parts of the show and an actual prop DeLorean which was lowered onto the stage and just wow. Such showmanship. Thoroughly enjoyed it!

I'm glad you had fun, Noll!

We now have four little chicken. It's quite exciting :exc:.

Funny girl, Chrissy :rolol: ......but it looks like you're going to have to come up with one more .....

↓ ↓ ↓

We now have four little chicken. It's quite exciting :exc:.

You've been in the wars Muggles  :console:  Won't ask where the 'sensitive' place is, :unsure:  but hope your doctoring has prevented any infections.

Does anyone know where Sofia is???? Been a long time between posts.

Last time I saw her was Sunday (FB) she was drinking hot coffee and eating fresh cinnamon rolls! She's probably still sleeping it off :giggle2:

Coran and I went to the Registry Office this afternoon to fill in all the paperwork and give proof of ID etc. We now then have our official notice of marriage and can start counting down. I am also counting down the days until I go to Iceland which is one week tomorrow. After I get back it will be all systems go ....  

This is a pretty cool "book" news item: Don't know how many people are following the coup situation in Thailand, but they are protesting by reading books!  A few days ago, people sat around Bangkok reading 1984 and yesterday I read a story about them giving the 3 fingered Hunger games salute.  I'm posting this here cause I thought some might find it interesting.

1984 sit in:

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia-Pacific/2014/0530/Orwell-s-1984-suddenly-fashionable-on-Bangkok-streets

Hunger Games salute:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewbender/2014/06/04/in-thailand-flashing-hunger-games-salute-can-lead-to-arrest/

Just thought it was such a cool way to protest- through books :smile: