Your Book Activity - June 2014

I recognise this problem :D.

Me too!  My Kindle is going to overload with Samples.  There just isn't enough time!  This site does NOT help lol

I started on Lee Child's Jack Reacher 17, A Wanted Man.  It comes with a bonus short story called Deep Down.  I only have like, 3 left in the whole series, but am skipping around with the end of the series a bit (as Lee Child does, releasing #16 as a prequel to the series, which I find annoying).  The new one is out in September and I *think* I might want to be caught up by the time the new one (Personal) comes out, which is no problem at all, considering I read a few each month.  Next will be 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher, or another Chinese epic, called Empress Orchid by Anchee Min; this one set during the end of the Ch'ing Dynasty, about the last female emperor.

BTW- I just found out Lee Child is really a pen name.  I've read 15 of these books in a yr and 1/2 and I never knew that.  It's probably not a surprise to those not in the US, as he is a British writer, something else I did not know.

Edited by Anna Begins

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

60% through Midnight's Children. It's a bit of a struggle, and I will be glad when it's over. :D  Dying to read the Reading Circle thread to see if others feel the same way, but I dare not read it for fear of spoilers. :lurker:

I've finished The First Man in Rome by Colleen McCullough...review over on my thread along with review of Dixie City Jam by James Lee Burke.

The McCullough is a huge tome, but honestly, it flew by.  I'm sorely tempted to start the second one immediately. :D

I finished The Illustrated Mum last week, (I loved it!) and started and finished three books after that: Kaupungin kaunein lyyli, Steissi and Thirteen Reasons Why. All of those were YA books, I'm on a YA roll :D 

I've now started The Neverending Story by Michael Ende which I'm enjoying :) 

I finished The Illustrated Mum last week, (I loved it!) and started and finished three books after that: Kaupungin kaunein lyyli, Steissi and Thirteen Reasons Why. All of those were YA books, I'm on a YA roll :D

13 Reasons Why will be my next read.  Seems interesting and I'm in the mood for some YA.

I've spent the past few weeks re reading three series of books that interlink that I first read last year. My mojo has been really wobbly so I just went with any read that grabbed my attention. I really enjoyed these series of books, and got a lot from reading them again. The Descent and Ascension series reads alongside The Seasons of The Moon, all by SM Reine, described as a YA urban fantasy writer.

Having finished them I fell into reading John Green's A Fault In Our Stars. What a brilliant read! I wasn't entirely sure what to expect and was stunned by the writing.

Finished the first story in Different Seasons, Rita Hayworth & Shawshank Redemption. What a brilliant story, its made me want to watch the film which is one of the only good Stephen King book to movie adaptations.

I also really enjoyed Thirteen Reasons Why and I think I read The Neverending Story when I was a child at the library. I love the story anyway.

13 Reasons Why will be my next read. Seems interesting and I'm in the mood for some YA.

I really enjoyed that one :).

Having finished them I fell into reading John Green's A Fault In Our Stars. What a brilliant read! I wasn't entirely sure what to expect and was stunned by the writing.

I loved The Fault in Our Stars too! I hope your mojo behaves itself :empathy:.

Finished Colleen McCullough's The Grass Crown.  Now trying to decide what to read next.  I'm leaning towards Seamus Heaney's translation of Beowulf  :unsure:

I'm just starting it, about a hundred pages in. :)  Just finished the first one yesterday. 

Yes, my main example would have to be Orson Scott Card's attitude on homosexuality. I still read Ender's Game though, I already had the book. If I didn't have the book, hmmm.. I'm not sure what I would've done in that case.

Yes, my main example would have to be Orson Scott Card's attitude on homosexuality. I still read Ender's Game though, I already had the book. If I didn't have the book, hmmm.. I'm not sure what I would've done in that case.

My reason is different from yours- see my latest review if you want- but I don't know what I'd do if something like an ethical or moral issue came up.  I think it would depend on the book itself (or movie).  Darn, I wanted to read Ender's Game and Speaker For the Dead.

Edited by Anna Begins

I finished the latest Spanish memoir from Chris Stewart, Last Days of the Bus Club last night, and absolutely loved it!  So enjoyable being back in El Valero.

I've started The Bookstore by Deborah Meyler, which I'm assuming from the cover and blurb will be a romcom, but so far it's got a bit more edge than I was expecting, and I'm enjoying it at the moment.

Ever find something out about an author that completely turns you off?

Great question...would probably make a good thread.

One that I can think of off hand. V. S. Naipaul. Admitted and committed misogynist.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelellsberg/2011/06/09/miso

Great question...would probably make a good thread.

One that I can think of off hand. V. S. Naipaul. Admitted and committed misogynist.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelellsberg/2011/06/09/miso

Good idea.  I wonder what others have to say.  Oh- the link didn't work for me...

Athena- Orson Scott Card renounced his views in 2013 (convenient), if that makes you feel better :smile:  However, if you google Orson Scott Card, you get "Orson Scott Card Homophobe" as a result lol 

Good idea. I wonder what others have to say. Oh- the link didn't work for me...

Athena- Orson Scott Card renounced his views in 2013 (convenient), if that makes you feel better :smile: However, if you google Orson Scott Card, you get "Orson Scott Card Homophobe" as a result lol

Weirdness...I'll try again. http://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelellsberg/2011/06/09/misogyny-is-alive-and-well-v-s-naipaul-on-female-writers/

/fingers crossed/. It's a great article.

Edit: tried this link, it worked.

Edited by pontalba

Finished the first story in Different Seasons, Rita Hayworth & Shawshank Redemption. What a brilliant story, its made me want to watch the film which is one of the only good Stephen King book to movie adaptations.

Have you read Under The Dome?  There is a new TV show remake of it- the first one was canceled because it was so bad- but I am attracted to the premise (of the book).

I'm now on page 376 of Judas Unchained (out of 1235 pages). I made good progress in it yesterday (even though I was very tired), and am quite enjoying it. Sometimes there's a few pacing issues, but overall I'm enjoying all the detail that's being put in the world.

Have you read Under The Dome?  There is a new TV show remake of it- the first one was canceled because it was so bad- but I am attracted to the premise (of the book).

Yes ive read all Stephen Kings books except his new one Mr Mercedes, ive been rereading all his books from the beginning so i have a while to wait. I thought Under The Dome was a good book but it wasnt up there with the best imo. Just finished Apt Pupil, what a brilliant story!

Yes ive read all Stephen Kings books except his new one Mr Mercedes, ive been rereading all his books from the beginning so i have a while to wait. I thought Under The Dome was a good book but it wasnt up there with the best imo. Just finished Apt Pupil, what a brilliant story!

Was going through a tough time when I read Different Seasons.  I just looked up Apt Pupil- how on earth could THAT story have slipped my mind, I am not sure! 

I am still wondering if I want to try the TV show, Under The Dome.  My mom even wants to check it out and she totally isn't into that kind of theme.  The book is sill on my TRB list, hopefully for this year.  The year is flying by so fast!

Was going through a tough time when I read Different Seasons.  I just looked up Apt Pupil- how on earth could THAT story have slipped my mind, I am not sure! 

I am still wondering if I want to try the TV show, Under The Dome.  My mom even wants to check it out and she totally isn't into that kind of theme.  The book is sill on my TRB list, hopefully for this year.  The year is flying by so fast!

I watched the first 2 episodes of Under The Dome and couldn't watch any more. Too much had been changed, i didn't like the people in it, i just didn't like it. And as for Apt Pupil, yes that really is a brilliant story. The last sentence has always stuck in my mind. And the film with Ian Mckellen playing the nazi Dussander & Brad Renfro playing Todd is a worthy adaptation of the story.