Your Book Activity - June 2014

Midnight's Children is up next for me. :readingtwo:

Hope you enjoy it Bobbly  :smile:

I started Wild Swans last night, just seemed too hard to resist, even though it wasn't chosen for book club.   

That's going to be my next read as well, now that i've got it down i'm reluctant to shelve it again  :D

Less than 100 pages to go in The Soldier's Return if i get the time i might finish it tonight.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's going to be my next read as well, now that i've got it down i'm reluctant to shelve it again  :D

It's really grabbed me in at the first page!  I'm sure you wouldn't miss the Intro from the Author, but Kindle sometimes starts it at Chapter One.  What she has to say is really interesting.  Even at 500+ pages, I think it will go fast, and you read MUCH faster than I!

I've had to abandon Fanny Hill as I felt no inclination to continue reading it, and after that I've picked up half a dozen books only to put them down as nonreadable. :rolleyes: Managed to read maybe 12 pages of We Need to Talk about Kevin, let's see if this one sticks. 

I've had to abandon Fanny Hill as I felt no inclination to continue reading it, and after that I've picked up half a dozen books only to put them down as nonreadable. :rolleyes: Managed to read maybe 12 pages of We Need to Talk about Kevin, let's see if this one sticks. 

I hate when that happens, happened to me after Pillars of the EarthWe Need To Talk About Kevin is on my TBR list for this year- I hear it's pretty dark.

I get this too sometimes. I hope you'll like We Need to Talk about Kevin and otherwise that another book sticks around :friends0:.

I'm over one fourth into Pandora's Star.

Grrr- I tried getting into Midnight's Children last night, and just couldn't get excited.  I will try again though, before June is up.

I struggled with the first 20 odd pages because it just seemed like random rambling, but it has now picked up and is starting to seem coherent.

Hope you enjoy it Bobbly  :smile:

I hope so too! :D  I was a bit worried to start with, but it seem better now.

I struggled with the first 20 odd pages because it just seemed like random rambling, but it has now picked up and is starting to seem coherent.

Oh that's good to hear because it was rambling.  But I've noted this with Rushdie, the beginnings DO tend to ramble- maybe that's why I haven't read so much of his stuff.

I think I might skip Jack Reacher 16, go to 17 and then back to 16 again.  So it's A Wanted Man for me.  I'll pair it with Wild Swans- should be different enough, ya? lol

I found and dug out my copy of Midnight's Children, read 50 pages and lost interest. Again. :(

This is at least the second time I have tried, perhaps the third. I will become interested for a bit, but rapidly lose it again.

I wish I could report differently. Drat.

I hate when that happens, happened to me after Pillars of the EarthWe Need To Talk About Kevin is on my TBR list for this year- I hear it's pretty dark.

Have you been able to recover yet? I hope your mojo's back  :empathy:   Choosing WNTTAK was actually something that was prompted by reading all the news about the Isla Vista shootings. That was horrid! :( RIP. 

I get this too sometimes. I hope you'll like We Need to Talk about Kevin and otherwise that another book sticks around :friends0:.

Thanks Athena :)  I couldn't get into WNTTAK the second night, unfortunately. But I went to the library yesterday and borrowed a whole bunch of YA novels :) I already started and finished one. 

I'm currently reading The Bad Girls' Club but an author whose name I can't remember... Something Tracey? It's about four girls who come together to do a book group thing for a radio show. Seems readable! :) Although I'm afraid I haven't read most of the books on the list, they are YA books and new ones at that, not the ones I read as a kid. But maybe I'll have to add them to the wishlist :D 

Have you been able to recover yet? I hope your mojo's back  :empathy:   Choosing WNTTAK was actually something that was prompted by reading all the news about the Isla Vista shootings. That was horrid! :( RIP. 

Yep!  Mojo is back now with Wild Swans even though it drags a bit.  I still had to read something more simple inbetweeen POTE and WS.

Isla Vista was horrible.  3 of the people killed were from the Bay Area, where I live.  The whole thing happened about 7 hours away.  There was one in Seattle yesterday too.  I don't understand the US and it's violence.

Yep!  Mojo is back now with Wild Swans even though it drags a bit.  I still had to read something more simple inbetweeen POTE and WS.

I'm glad mojo's back! :smile2: Life is somewhat joyless when that bugger wanders off!

Isla Vista was horrible.  3 of the people killed were from the Bay Area, where I live.  The whole thing happened about 7 hours away.  There was one in Seattle yesterday too.  I don't understand the US and it's violence.

Yeah I noticed you are in California so that's partly why I brought the subject up, thinking it happened in your state. I can't imagine what it must have been like and has been like, having something like that happen in your area. So sad :( I heard about the Seattle case earlier but I had to go to the grocerystore and didn't have time to google what's happened exactly, I think I will do that straight after posting this. I don't understand any of those events, either. It seems to happen a lot over there, but then again it's a big country with a lot of people. We've had two school shootings and one school stabbing over here in Finland, so it's not only the States. Not that that's any consolation...

Finished Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell.  Very good read.

It's a fantastic book.  :)   I love Orwell, he's one of my favourite authors.  

Less than 100 pages to go in The Soldier's Return if i get the time i might finish it tonight.

Are you enjoying it/have you enjoyed it?   I chose it for our Book Club quite a few years ago and was pleasantly surprised, although I never got round to reading the sequels. 

I'm reading The Tiger in the Well by Philip Pullman and I'm listening to A Kind Man by Susan Hill on audio book.  :)

I found and dug out my copy of Midnight's Children, read 50 pages and lost interest. Again. :(

This is at least the second time I have tried, perhaps the third. I will become interested for a bit, but rapidly lose it again.

I wish I could report differently. Drat.

Kudos for effort Kate but if your not enjoying it on the third attempt i'd say it's definitely not your sort of book  :D

How far in are you Anna? i've read about 150 pages so far so i'm past the horrible foot binding descriptions. As with other books i've read set in China it makes me glad that i'm a woman living in modern times & in the west  :o

Are you enjoying it/have you enjoyed it?   I chose it for our Book Club quite a few years ago and was pleasantly surprised, although I never got round to reading the sequels. 

I loved it Janet, it's my third book by Melvyn Bragg, although i've got most of his other books on my TBR pile & he's becoming one of my favourite authors  :smile:

At the moment i'm at the beginning of Wild Swans by Jung Chang, i do like a good family saga & i'm finding it hard to put down. Drat real life for getting in the way of my reading  :D

How far in are you Anna? i've read about 150 pages so far so i'm past the horrible foot binding descriptions. As with other books i've read set in China it makes me glad that i'm a woman living in modern times & in the west  :o

Answered you in my own thread before I saw this one!

I felt I needed something easy so I'm comfort reading an old favourite of mine - Valiant by Holly Black. The other books in the same series (Tithe, Ironside) are really not great but I've always liked Valiant.

Also thinking I'll probably reread The Fault In Our Stars before it comes out in cinemas - it's over a year since I read it.

I started The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester yesterday and finished it today.

I'm now starting Blood Music by Greg Bear.

I'm really struggling mojo wise. I'm currently halfway through The Blackest Streets by Sarah Wise, and though I'm enjoying it I find it hard to pick up. I felt the same with my last book.

Edited by Alexi

I've just finished 'Cloud Atlas' by David Mitchell and it's the best book I've read this year so far. I already want to re-read this, which is unusual, as I hardly ever re-read books.

However, I decided to start reading 'The Lady of the Rivers' by Philippa Gregory.

I'm about 18% through Midnight's Children. I'm having mixed feelings about it, and have yet to see anything worthy about it yet. :wacko:

That's discouraging!  I had hoped to read it after Wild Swans, but now... I'm a bit put off.  How is everyone else reading it fairing?

Finished Flags in the Dust by William Faulkner, review over yonder....:)

Short form............I. Loved. It!! :D

Now to muck about looking for something else to read.