Your Book Activity - June 2014

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started reading Fanny Hill last night. There was the longest most complicated sentence I've read in a while right in the first paragraph and I almost chucked the book out the window but re-read it til I think I made some sense of it :D After that it's been surprisingly readable. I thought it would be trickier. 

I finished the fourth Dresden book, Summer Knight, which was very very funny at times.

Before I start the next I am positively tearing my way through The String Of Peals, the original Sweeney Todd serial from around 1846, I think. It's extremely entertaining and so wonderfully fleshed out! Er... no pun intended, honest! I had heard fairly poor reviews of this original story, and I would be inclined to blame it on people having only seen the Johnny Depp movie, but that was all I ever saw to get me into the story of Sweeney and I'm loving this book! So I don't know, I would highly recommend it to anyone who loves Todd and Mrs. Lovett.

Edited by Nollaig

I finished Gentleman & Players which i really liked & picked a quick read to finish the month with The Daylight Gate by Jeanette Winterson, i loved this book, so atmospheric with some great descriptions of the  Lancashire countryside & Pendle Hill, i read the whole book in a day & so now to start June off with i'm reading The Soldier's Return by Melvyn Bragg. It's set at the end of the second world war & tells of a young mans return from Burma to Wigton a small village in Cumbria. I'm only about 50 pages in but am totally hooked as with Bragg's other 2 books that i've read straightaway i feel an emotional connection to the characters & have to know how their lives turn out.

Finished Slip & Fall by Nick Santora and Dance for the Dead (A Jane Whitefield Novel) by Thomas Perry.  Reviews over on my thread.

I'm now reading my monthly freebie from Amazon, Supreme Justice by Max Allen Collins.  About a third of the way through.  So far, so good. 

Athena, I hope you enjoy Pandora's Star. I finished it (for the second time) last month. It's such an epic book with so many characters and storylines....the world he describes is so complex but still quite easy to grasp (and I usually have problems with things like that).  

I'm about 50% through The Invisible Ones. Good, but not as good as The Tenderness of Wolves.

Stephen King's Mr. Mercedes comes out tomorrow - I'm quite excited! :boogie: I shouldn't buy it, because I have so many other books I want to read, but I know I will. :readingtwo:

Stephen King's Mr. Mercedes comes out tomorrow - I'm quite excited! :boogie: I shouldn't buy it, because I have so many other books I want to read, but I know I will. :readingtwo:

Ooooh- That might be my next read, or at least my next King read.  I've been waiting for it. 

About 65% through with both Brandon Sanderson's STEELHEART (thanks Tim for the correction in last months thread :banghead:  :hide: )

and Lee Child's Jack Reacher 15, Worth Dying For.  Both are so good and it's hard to decide when to read what!

Athena, I hope you enjoy Pandora's Star. I finished it (for the second time) last month. It's such an epic book with so many characters and storylines....the world he describes is so complex but still quite easy to grasp (and I usually have problems with things like that).

Hope you enjoy it!

Thanks Tim and BB :)! I've read a bit more now (not that much yet though, it's a big book). I'm interested to see where the various storylines will come together. I'm really enjoying it so far.

About 65% through with both Brandon Sanderson's STEELHEART (thanks Tim for the correction in last months thread :banghead:  :hide: )

and Lee Child's Jack Reacher 15, Worth Dying For.  Both are so good and it's hard to decide when to read what!

I'm glad you're enjoying both :).

I finished the first of Colleen McCullough's 'Masters of Rome' books a couple of days ago (review) and am now about halfway through the next Dresden Files book on my list, Proven Guilty.  Then I might have to go back to 'Masters of Rome', cos I've got withdrawal symptoms :lol:

I bought Midnight's Children this morning, for the Reading Circle (though I'm a bit behind). I was reading reviews on Amazon, and it seems it's a 'love-it-or-hate-it' book. :readingtwo:  It will be my next read after The Invisible Ones, which I should finish in the next couple of days.

I bought Midnight's Children this morning, for the Reading Circle (though I'm a bit behind). I was reading reviews on Amazon, and it seems it's a 'love-it-or-hate-it' book. :readingtwo:  

I agree it's definitely a marmite book but i hope you enjoy it Bobbly  :D

Geordie9 i read The Survivor many years ago & remember enjoying it hope you do too  :smile:

Still reading The Return of the Soldier  Melvyn Bragg only about 150 pages to go now so starting to think about what i'll be reading next  :readingtwo:

Hope you enjoy The Survivor, I have a load of Herbert books on my kindle that I have been meaning to get around to :)

I agree it's definitely a marmite book but i hope you enjoy it Bobbly  :D

Geordie9 i read The Survivor many years ago & remember enjoying it hope you do too  :smile:

Still reading The Return of the Soldier  Melvyn Bragg only about 150 pages to go now so starting to think about what i'll be reading next  :readingtwo:

Thanks, it seems like a good storyline so i should enjoy it, ive liked most of James Herberts books so far

I bought Midnight's Children this morning, for the Reading Circle (though I'm a bit behind). I was reading reviews on Amazon, and it seems it's a 'love-it-or-hate-it' book. :readingtwo:  It will be my next read after The Invisible Ones, which I should finish in the next couple of days.

Midnight's Children might be my next read- I've never done a circle and have limited knowledge of Rushdie's work.  Maybe I will read the Sample tonight and see if I like it.  Wonder how that would go with Mr. Mercedes :P

Edited by Anna Begins

Went to my bookgroup meeting last night & our book for next month is After Flodden by Rosemary Goring, it's historical fiction, which i like so i'm looking forward to reading it  :D

I hope you enjoy it, Kidsmum :)!

I'm about 130ish pages into Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton. It's epic, complicated, brilliant, and also a heavy book (big hardcover copy) so I'm not reading as much in it as I would like. I find my mind needs time to process it so I can't read it for too long at a time. I'm really enjoying the story and the world building though :).

Ooh, glad you are enjoying Pandora's Star. It is complex, isn't it?

I finished The Invisible Ones this morning. Quite good, but with a twist that I need to think about.

Midnight's Children is up next for me. :readingtwo:

Midnight's Children is up next for me. :readingtwo:

Grrr- I tried getting into Midnight's Children last night, and just couldn't get excited.  I will try again though, before June is up.

Finished Jack Reacher 15, Worth Dying For and Brandon Sanderson's Steelheart.  4/5 for both. 

I started Wild Swans last night, just seemed too hard to resist, even though it wasn't chosen for book club.  Also into my monthly buy of BBC History Magazine.  I still haven't subscribed, and it's so much cheaper than buying one at a time!  Looking forward to After the Black Death: How Life Changed For Medieval Women.