Authors who cover the widest ranges

I wasn't quite sure how to phrase the topic so if you feel the title didn't reveal what I'm after, please suggest a better one!

My question is: in your opinion, who are the authors who cover the widest ranges when it comes to literature and themes and genres? I started thinking about this for some reason the other day and it got me curious. An example that came to me just last weekend is Karen Joy Fowler: I think she started out as a sci-fi / fantasy author, which is something I never knew, because I've only read books like The Jane Austen Book Club and The Sweetheart Season by her, neither which have any sci-fi / fantasy elements. 

Who do you think has covered a lot of different genres and/or themes, and more importantly, has done it successfully as well? 

I've only read a few of her books, but I've been told that Rose Tremain is an author who writes about something very different in all her books.  She writes both historical and contemporary fiction, and chooses a wide range of themes.  I fully intend to read more of her work, so I'll come back to this in a few years and see if I agree with those who've told me this. ;)

:D I hope you remember to come back, so you will remember then to tell the people if they were correct or not! 

I have to say the name Rose Tremain didn't ring any bells so I had to wiki her. This is something I found on wikipedia: 'She is an historical novelist who approaches her subjects "from unexpected angles, concentrating her attention on unglamorous outsiders."' I thought it was somewhow nicely put. Unglamorous outsiders :) 

Back to the general topic: I feel like I know someone who fits the bill perfectly but I can never remember who it is that I'm thinking of. Or rather, I'm not even thinking of anyone in particular, and that's the frustrating bit :D I know I know someone but can't remember who I know. 

Off hand I think of John Banville, writing his beautiful novels, then writing as Benjamin Black.....the Quirk forensic detective stories.

I haven't read much of China Mieville, but have read a few, and it is said that every one of his books is different in style. 

Off hand I think of John Banville, writing his beautiful novels, then writing as Benjamin Black.....the Quirk forensic detective stories.

I didn't know John Banville writes other stuff under an alias, that's interesting news! :) Not that I know much about the author in general, I've yet to read his novels. Have you read any of the Quirk books, would you recommend them? Always looking for new detective series :)

I haven't read much of China Mieville, but have read a few, and it is said that every one of his books is different in style.

I know absolutely nothing about China Mieville, except the title of one of his books, and after your post I went to read about him on wiki. He sounds like a really interesting guy! I definitely want to read something by him in the future.

(Not that I started this thread to read a book by each of the authors mentioned, but one takes one's recommendations as and when they come :D)

What you said about Mieville, pontalba, reminds me of Boris Akunin and his detective/crime series of Erast Fandorin. I think I read somewhere that he wrote all the books in the series in different detective story styles. Ah yes, from wiki:

"He set out to write a cycle about Fandorin with an exploration of every subgenre of the detective novel in mind, from spies to serial killers.[2] In addition, he wanted to address different types of human character in his books. As Akunin identified sixteen subgenres of crime novels, as well as sixteen character types, the novels in the Erast Fandorin series will ultimately number sixteen. As of December 2009, thirteen novels have been published in Russia. The series is titled Новый детективъ (New detective, or New Mystery). This title serves to set the novels apart from the postmodernist intellectual novels as well as from the trashy detective novels,[5] but it is also a subtle play on the use of time in the novels."

And this is interesting: "In Russia, the Fandorin series rivals The Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter in popularity.[5] The English translations of the novels have been critically acclaimed by, among others, Ruth Rendell.[6]"  :)

PS. I'd heartily recommend The Winter Queen by Akunin :) I've yet to read the rest of the series but I will at some point get to them. 

Edited by frankie

Fascinating!  I've not heard of Boris Akunin before!!  Just looked on Amazon, will def be buying his book(s).  Thanks....I think.  :P  :giggle2:

China Mieville's The City & The City is a wonderfully fantastical detective story.  :)   I know I must have read something else by him, but it slips my mind at the moment.  oy

And, yes, yes, YES!  The Quirke Series is great.  I just found out that Irish/Brit BBC made some films of the first three.  I know I'll probably have to investigate those as well.  Although Gabriel Byrne isn't my absolute idea of Quirke. 

He writes the Quirke books as Benjamin Black.  I thought you'd find this interesting..... http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/books/2011/07/11/110711crbo_books_kavenna

• 4 weeks later...

I immediately thought of Daphne Du Maurier - although she is perhaps best known for her historical romantic adventures (Jamaica Inn, Rebecca etc) she also wrote some almost science fiction stuff (The house on the Strand) as well as a distopian novel (Rule Britannia).

I also read a series of short stories that she wrote when recovering from a breakdown, that I couldn't categorise, but which are simply excellent 

Fascinating!  I've not heard of Boris Akunin before!!  Just looked on Amazon, will def be buying his book(s).  Thanks....I think.  :P  :giggle2:

Even though I'm usually nervous about recommending books, I don't think you should regret getting acquainted with the first Boris Akunin book.... *hopes that statement didn't just jinx the whole thing!!*

China Mieville's The City & The City is a wonderfully fantastical detective story.  :)   I know I must have read something else by him, but it slips my mind at the moment.  oy

The last time I was at the library, I looked for a copy of the book but there weren't any available. Some day.... :cool:

And, yes, yes, YES!  The Quirke Series is great.  I just found out that Irish/Brit BBC made some films of the first three.  I know I'll probably have to investigate those as well.  Although Gabriel Byrne isn't my absolute idea of Quirke. 

He writes the Quirke books as Benjamin Black.  I thought you'd find this interesting..... http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/books/2011/07/11/110711crbo_books_kavenna

The book series is definitely going on my wishlist, thanks for that! :D 

I immediately thought of Daphne Du Maurier - although she is perhaps best known for her historical romantic adventures (Jamaica Inn, Rebecca etc) she also wrote some almost science fiction stuff (The house on the Strand) as well as a distopian novel (Rule Britannia).

I also read a series of short stories that she wrote when recovering from a breakdown, that I couldn't categorise, but which are simply excellent

Oooh, she's another good example :) I haven't read many of her novels but yes, she does cover a lot of ideas and genres. I've read one of her short story collections, and they were rather a varied collection. For example, there was the story of The Birds. Although, now that I think about it, did she always write novels/stories that were dark/sad/depressing etc? Did she ever write anything uplifting or upbeat? Hmmm.

Ooh, I'm glad this post got bumped this evening … I've remembered someone else who has a pretty wide range - Roald Dahl! From children's books to horror, ghost and just plain weird Tales of the Unexpected, I'd say was quite a wide range. I've just had a look at his www.fantasticfiction.co.uk page, and found out he also wrote cookbooks, with some that sounds like memoirs and others that are linked with some of the children's books.

Edited by chesilbeach

Ooh, I'm glad this post got bumped this evening … I've remembered someone else who has a pretty wide range - Roald Dahl! From children's books to horror, ghost and just plain weird Tales of the Unexpected, I'd say was quite a wide range. I've just had a look at his www.fantasticfiction.co.uk page, and found out he also wrote cookbooks, with some that sounds like memoirs and others that are linked with some of the children's books.

Oh, that's a good one! I remember always thinking he wrote books for kids, and then just a few years ago I found out about him writing at least one naughty sort of book.... If I remember correctly! 

That's definitely a wide range. Not only does he go from fiction to non-fiction, he also delivered to both a younger and a mature audience. :yes: And different genres within these categories! 

Edited by frankie

Y'all were talking about coincidental happenings.....well, I've got something interesting.  :D

Over the weekend we visited a town about 170 miles away for a book/author signing.  It was at the Page & Palette book store in Fairhope, Alabama.  Oliver North was there signing his latest.  P&P is the greatest little independent bookstore!  We drive over occasionally and stay the night.  Lots of shops and stuff.  Anyhow P&P has a used book section upstairs, so naturally we went upstairs. 

The very first book I spotted from across the room was The Winter Queen by Boris Akunin!  Naturally I ran over and grabbed it, immediately.  :D

I'd written the book and author name on a scrap of paper and kept it right in front of the computer monitor, so it was fresh in my mind. 

It looks very interesting.  Thanks, frankie!  :cool:

I have to go with Truman Capote . He wrote a very wide ranging set of books himself. Some could be so very tender in spots, it'd bring tears to your eyes. The love he had for his family members was beautiful . It shows through in some of his stories .

Then you can read some of his shorter "reporter-type stories where he is talking about a celebrity he met and he can be very sharp with some of them. He was a very opinionated person ,so that shows a totally different side of him .

Of course we have to end with In Cold Blood . It's pretty rare to have true crime authors who write beautiful family stories .

So my vote goes for Truman, of course !

• 1 month later...

Having posted a review yesterday I'd like to add Susan Hill to the list. :)

I've read a few of hers now and have enjoyed them all.   Not only does she write ghost stories (I've only read one so far - The Woman in Black) but she's written a detective series (I've yet to try any of those), a book about the First World War (Strange Meeting), some gentle novellas about human nature (The Beacon, A Kind Man...), short stories, non-fiction, plays, children's books... If that's not versatile then I don't know what is!  :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

The very first book I spotted from across the room was The Winter Queen by Boris Akunin!  Naturally I ran over and grabbed it, immediately.  :D

I'd written the book and author name on a scrap of paper and kept it right in front of the computer monitor, so it was fresh in my mind. 

It looks very interesting.  Thanks, frankie!  :cool:

That is so awesome! :D I love it when things like that happen. When you've just heard of an author or a novel and then it crops up somewhere :D I hope you will like the novel! :)

I have to go with Truman Capote . He wrote a very wide ranging set of books himself. Some could be so very tender in spots, it'd bring tears to your eyes. The love he had for his family members was beautiful . It shows through in some of his stories .

Then you can read some of his shorter "reporter-type stories where he is talking about a celebrity he met and he can be very sharp with some of them. He was a very opinionated person ,so that shows a totally different side of him .

Of course we have to end with In Cold Blood . It's pretty rare to have true crime authors who write beautiful family stories .

So my vote goes for Truman, of course !

This is an interesting addition to the bunch! I've only read In Cold Blood and Breakfast at Tiffany's, but those two are already very different from each other. I should read more by him :) 

Having posted a review yesterday I'd like to add Susan Hill to the list. :)

I've read a few of hers now and have enjoyed them all.   Not only does she write ghost stories (I've only read one so far - The Woman in Black) but she's written a detective series (I've yet to try any of those), a book about the First World War (Strange Meeting), some gentle novellas about human nature (The Beacon, A Kind Man...), short stories, non-fiction, plays, children's books... If that's not versatile then I don't know what is!  :lol:

Oh yes, Susan Hill! I didn't know she's written children's books and plays, too! Oh I'm getting a major blank at the moment... I can't remember which books I've read by her. I always, always always confuse her with Daphne du Maurier for some reason. It's really embarrassing!

The first name I can think of is Richard Matheson

He wrote short stories for many genres, as western, sci-fi, paranormal, thriller, horror...

And I still have to read his later works!

That's another interesting name! Those genres all have to do with adventure, and perhaps danger and dark things, scary things. I think he'd be more versatile if he also wrote romcoms :D But a good name indeed :) 

This is an interesting addition to the bunch! I've only read In Cold Blood and Breakfast at Tiffany's, but those two are already very different from each other. I should read more by him :)

That is a good choice, I have a few of his stuff on my actual shelves!  I had NO idea he wrote Breakfast at Tiffany's.  It was a :o moment for me!

That is a good choice, I have a few of his stuff on my actual shelves!  I had NO idea he wrote Breakfast at Tiffany's.  It was a :o moment for me!

This forum is very educational, isn't it :D 

I have a biography of Truman Capote, I think it's the next one I'm going to read by him / of him. 

This forum is very educational, isn't it :D

I have a biography of Truman Capote, I think it's the next one I'm going to read by him / of him. 

Yup- they say you learn something everyday and lots come from here :smile: *off to get sample for Breakfast at Tiffany's*

On a side note, I am constantly trying to remind my mom of who Phillip Seymour Hoffman is.  She still claims she has never heard of Truman Capote, but I mention him every time I talk about Hoffman!  I don't want to get old (she is not old)  :giggle2:

Yup- they say you learn something everyday and lots come from here :smile: *off to get sample for Breakfast at Tiffany's*

On a side note, I am constantly trying to remind my mom of who Phillip Seymour Hoffman is.  She still claims she has never heard of Truman Capote, but I mention him every time I talk about Hoffman!  I don't want to get old (she is not old)  :giggle2:

I didn't think I'd like BaT (I don't know why) but I really really enjoyed it, so I'd def recommend it :) 

Sometimes some people just don't stick :D I'm pretty sure your Mom would know him if she saw his picture. Maybe it's just the name that's difficult for her. That happens to all of us :) We're not old, none of us :P 

That is so awesome! :D I love it when things like that happen. When you've just heard of an author or a novel and then it crops up somewhere :D I hope you will like the novel! :)

I've just re-read this thread after your post and realised you were talking about The Winter Queen by Boris Anunkin … I read that last month after it was recommended on a radio programme, and thought it was great! I don't think I've actually written a review for it, as I'm so far behind, but I enjoyed it a lot. I didn't know much about the author, or any of the subsequent books in the series, but now I'm going to have to do some more digging … :D

I've just re-read this thread after your post and realised you were talking about The Winter Queen by Boris Anunkin … I read that last month after it was recommended on a radio programme, and thought it was great! I don't think I've actually written a review for it, as I'm so far behind, but I enjoyed it a lot. I didn't know much about the author, or any of the subsequent books in the series, but now I'm going to have to do some more digging … :D

Actually, when I was reading your thread yesterday, I noticed you'd read the book (or maybe I saw it mentioned somewhere else) and I was looking forward to reading your review but noticed you haven't yet written it :D But I didn't want to nag... :giggle2: 

Oh no wait... You did say somewhere in your log that you liked it, but you didn't write a specific review, and that's what I was looking forward to. Yes, that's how it went. 

I think I read on wiki that Boris Akunin or the book series is as popular in Russia as Harry Potter in the whole world, or something of the sort :) I thought the novel was a real gem but I haven't gotten around to reading the sequels yet. But it's great to hear the novel was recommended on a radio show and that it made you read it and like it! :smile2: 

Oh, I'm so far behind with reviews, it's not even funny :(   I'll try and catch up a bit this weekend :blush:

The radio programme is called A Good Read and each week the presenter has on two famous guests and they each pick a paperback book they think is a good read :D  The presenter chose this book, but one of the guests was a writer whose work I like, and she also chose a Barbara Pym book, who I adore, and she loved The Winter Guest too, and so when I saw it in a bookshop, I couldn't resist.

Oh, I'm so far behind with reviews, it's not even funny :(   I'll try and catch up a bit this weekend :blush:

Oh honey, tell me about it! I think it's an epidemy... :blush::giggle2:  :friends3:  I know I have lots to write myself!

The radio programme is called A Good Read and each week the presenter has on two famous guests and they each pick a paperback book they think is a good read :D  The presenter chose this book, but one of the guests was a writer whose work I like, and she also chose a Barbara Pym book, who I adore, and she loved The Winter Guest too, and so when I saw it in a bookshop, I couldn't resist.

I like the sound of this radio show! :D I wish we had more of these over here. I don't think we have a decent book show on TV and I was forever jealous of Kylie for having the Australian awesome bookshow called First Tuesday Book Club... Although I don't know if it's because I'm accustomed to reading foreign books and hearing about them in English. Maybe even if we had a bookshow, it wouldn't feel the same if they speak in Finnish. I'm such a confused Anglophile!  :doh: 

Who was the write who also loved the novel, I'm curious? :) I'm really glad it was someone who you like as an author, because it was all the more incentive to pick up the novel :D 

• 6 months later...

Reading the thread of this title, I immediately thought of JK Rowling.

She's obviously most famous for her Harry Potter series, which is YA/adult fantasy. Then she wrote "The Casual Vacancy", adult fiction about politics and class in a small town. After that, she published two Cormoran Strike novels, about a war veteran turned private detective.

Quite a wide range if you ask me!