FROM KINDLE to paper. How do I do it

JedCohelo

Say,

There are some books online that are only available on KINDLE.

But I want to read them on paper.

Is there any way I can go about it.

OR..

Say, a kindle book cost 1p as an ebook...but as a paper back, it's 19p.

Can I buy in Kindle and "print it" somewhere

Well, it possible to convert word documents into Mobifiles and from there to kindle, because that's what authors who write for the kindle do. So I suppose technically it is possible to reverse the process. But you wouldn't have a book just a load of A4 paper. 

It simply wouldn't be worthwhile. 

And you would also be breaking copyright rules - there is a disclaimer in the front of most books (I quote from my own book here) to the effect that:

"No part of this book may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise without the author's prior written consent". 

This would include printing out a Kindle or other electronic book in this way. This is still illegal copying, even if it is for your own use.

I wouldn't be too sure about that if I were you. I know that as an author myself I would not be at all happy about someone printing out my book like this and reversing that process themselves - assuming the book was not DRM protected and even allowed that. After all, what's to say that they wouldn't give it away free to all and sundry?

Oh, sure. Glad you made it clear. 

And I know there's a huge discussion on DRM anyway. Because you are allowed to sell paper books second hand and can't do likewise with ebooks.

But there's a huge difference with data files. If anybody can give them away once, somebody will figure out how to copy them in unlimited numbers.

Exactly - and that I think is why it is illegal to sell e-books second hand and why the technology has been put in place to try (not entirely successfully - I know at least one author who has found her work on illegal sites) to prevent this. It would be (and do doubt for those in the know is) a whole lot cheaper and easier to do this with e-books than it would be to print fake copies of paper books. When you can buy used paper books for a penny online what would be the point anyway - they would cost more to produce than you would get from selling them.

Personally I think that not being able to sell used e-books is a price worth paying if it protects the rights of authors and publishers. I don't just feel this way with books either, and I don't say this just because I happen to have written one, even if it is no longer in print - I am against the illegal copying of any type of material whether that be music, DVD's or anything for that matter. A lot of people complain that they don't earn enough, and wouldn't work for free themselves, so why expect authors to do this? By refusing to pay for their books that's what you're effectively doing. If you can't afford to buy books then go to the library, at least that way the author earns something.

I suspect though that I am going off topic. :rant:

I'll follow you off topic  :D

Don't get me wrong with the things I say next, I don't vote for any pirated copies here. But if copying a CD/DVD really means you do it by hand onto another CD, the damage isn't too big at least. The real crime is putting it online.

I happen to know one author who told me he earns less than ten per cent per sold book. So he's lucky to break even, let alone make a little profit. And as I see how much work such a book is and how much time is put into it, I wouldn't want the authors to work for free.

That LittleW is exactly how I feel (with books at least - on the issue of copying CD's etc. we will have to beg to differ). Most if not all authors are in a similar position to what you describe, mostly because of heavy discounting and the fact that the publishing world is top heavy with middle men - distributors and so on. I say this as an author who has been in the same position you describe where I earned £1.49 from a book that cost £14.99 and took me 5 years to write. I don't know many people who would work for 30p a year. I certainly found out who my friends were when a lot of them refused to buy it and borrowed it from other so-called friends instead ! They couldn't understand why I got upset about this. Publishing a book teaches you a lot about human nature. :smile:    

In the end I wised up and took it out of print. I now sell it online as an eBook where I earn four times that amount. :D

I just wanted to weigh in in that I fully agree with the both of you regarding illegal copying. It sickens me that many people just illegally download or copy media (such as books, films and music). I have a strong conscience and find it quite difficult when people brag about doing these things. It makes me feel really uncomfortable. I fully believe the artists, writers, makers should be paid. I do buy used books at the charity shop but otherwise I only order a used copy if the book is unavailable new. I also buy CDs and DVDs (and Blu-rays). It's sometimes difficult for me to talk about because a lot of people in society think there's nothing wrong with illegal stuff and they don't get that it matters a lot to me.

I would also agree that 

a) the easiest way to get an e-book turned into a paper tree format is to BUY THE BOOK

and

b) the most legal way to do it is to BUY THE BOOK 

Good day to you all :D 

@ Frankie: That's exactly down to the point!

Let alone the question why I should want to do it!

@ Athena: I can completly understand, why the media branches are considering illigal downloads as life-threatening!

@ Talisman: I take it you differ on my considering "handmade" copies less bad as putting them online? Don't worry, I know, they're both illigal and a form of stealing from many people at the same time. 

I must admit, I would never pay for a download from other firms as amazon or the likes, because I don't know how trustworthy they are and what they'd do with my paying information. I wouldn't download for free as well, so I just bypass that by buying a CD/DVD.  :D

I hope you didn't really just sell one book and work for 30 p. a year, Talisman!

Could you PM me some info about that book? I probably might want to read it, depending on what it is about...

:P

You can find all the details on my website which is in my signature.

And no, I didn't sell just one copy, but at a guestimate between 500-600. Not all of them for 30p profit either - just the ones I sold through bookstores and online.

Edited by Talisman

• 2 weeks later...

There is that too - very often for the reasons I mentioned above, that authors get a better deal on e-books, that and the fact that they becoming more popular.  I personally prefer them as both an author and a reader, but each to their own. :smile: