Where to find the sources for photos/images published in books?

I've got the book Hitler and Stalin: Parallel lives by Alan Bullock and there is an image of Hitler in his Brown Desk in Munich around 1931 and I've tried Googling it but to no avail, where in the book will be the place to find the sources for all images used?

Thanks.

A lot of the time the source is written under the photograph, but I guess that isn't the case here. Sometimes there is a page at the beginning of the book, near the contents page, that lists the images used with their sources. I have seen books where this list is at the back though, generally next to the bibliography.

But if the picture is on the cover of the book, it will definitely be on the back cover, by the ISBN as pontalba said :smile:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure what you mean by an illustration of the photo at the front of the book, but if the photo is on the cover, the source reference will be somewhere near the barcode on the back cover.

If the photo is just in the middle of the book, and doesn't have the source directly underneath (or to the side of) it, there should be a list of image sources either on the first or last few pages of the book. Near the contents or the index.

Hope that helps, I know it's frustrating when you can't find a source reference!