New shows coming fall 2014

emelee

Can someone explain why the rating 1.2 represents two very different number of viewers. For instance:

The Mentalist on CBS. Rating: 1.2. Total number of viewers: 8.64 millions.

American dad on FOX. Rating: 1.2. Total number of viewers: 2.40 millions. 

But also when they are on the same network:

Elementary on CBS. Rating: 1.4. Total number of viewers: 7.37 mil.

Bad teacher on CBS. Rating: 1.4. Total number of viewers: 5.48 mil.

Edited by emelee

Yes, they are Nielsen ratings. I just don't understand the system at all. I only get that you want a high rating, obviously. But how they are determind, I have not the foggiest. 

Yeah, it's based on a really small sample size and they extrapolate out from there.  Apparently it's something like the percentage of extrapolated viewers to the extrapolated number of viewers at a given time or something like that.  

So at 5:00 on a Wednesday when everyone is driving home from work, there might be a much smaller number of potential viewers watching tv, but a large percentage of that small number is watching Wheel of Fortune, so Wheel of Fortune gets a great rating.  Friday night, however, millions and millions more might be watching LOST, but the overall number of potential viewers is WAY higher than it was on Wednesday night, so although LOST is infinitely more amazing than Wheel of Fortune, and has a higher number of viewers, it receives an apparently lower rating.  Screwy.

It's rather unreliable and confusing.  The Nielsen ratings are geared more for marketing and industry statistics rather than for viewers.  I don't give them much credence at all.

My friend has all the bells and whistles on his satellite service.  He pays well over $150/month.  o_O

x

That's a lot of money! Here you don't get nearly as many channels, but it's a lot cheaper.

Yeah, it's based on a really small sample size and they extrapolate out from there.  Apparently it's something like the percentage of extrapolated viewers to the extrapolated number of viewers at a given time or something like that.  

So at 5:00 on a Wednesday when everyone is driving home from work, there might be a much smaller number of potential viewers watching tv, but a large percentage of that small number is watching Wheel of Fortune, so Wheel of Fortune gets a great rating.  Friday night, however, millions and millions more might be watching LOST, but the overall number of potential viewers is WAY higher than it was on Wednesday night, so although LOST is infinitely more amazing than Wheel of Fortune, and has a higher number of viewers, it receives an apparently lower rating.  Screwy.

It's rather unreliable and confusing.  The Nielsen ratings are geared more for marketing and industry statistics rather than for viewers.  I don't give them much credence at all.

So I guess the rating is important for networks because the higher the rating, the more commercial viewing which equals more money. Which it is all about anyway. A show could have 40 million viewers, but if it does not bring in the money for it, it's a flop. :giggle2: 

I think that is a big reason why reality shows are so popular with networks. Cheap to produce, steady viewership and since it's cheap to produce, it brings in the cash. A no-brainer, right. Same with cooking shows and gameshows.

So even though a show like The Mentalist may have a decent number of viewers in total, a 1.2 ratings isn't good, and CBS has to really think about if they want to renew it or cancel it. (They eventually decided to renew). 

• 4 months later...

Fall season has begun. So far......

New shows that recieved low ratings & are in danger of cancellation:

Manhattan love story (ABC)

Selfie (ABC)

Red band society (FOX)

Madam secretary (CBS)

Forever (ABC)

New shows that recieved good ratings:

How to get away with murder (ABC)

Gotham (FOX)

Scorpion (CBS)

Mysteries of Laura (NBC)

I recorded last night's The walking Dead, which is playing on normal TV, not cable, so I am hoping it is edited  :hide:  I might read horror, but watching it is a whole new game!

USA renews Satisfaction for 2nd season and cancels new show Rush.
Black-ish had bad ratings for its' 2nd episode.
Red band society continues to disappoint.
Mysteries of Laura fell for it's second episode.

A to Z is not getting much love.