Eurovision 2014

vodkafan

My wife/exwife texted me and told me Eurovision was on. I didn't see any of the acts but just watched the voting. It was so surreal it was like watching the Capital people from Hunger Games? What is going on with the bearded lady? What is that all about? 

I guess it all stopped being about the music long ago....if it ever was about music at all

Edited by vodkafan

Conchita Wurst is a worthy winner for Austria. Fantastic song and superb performance. A shame Molly and the UK didn't do better - it was a good song and she performed it really well - our best song and performance in years. She deserved better.

I dunno Noll. Between people just voting for the country next to them and  this gimmick win  it's just took a huge right angle turn to planet ridiculous. I just read that "Conchita " is actually just a bloke called Tom. I just heard the song at the end it seemed unremarkable at best. Do all the women have to have beards next year to be in with a chance?

I mean, I don't mind gay people but they are just the same as everyone else. So why has every event now got to be about that?

I liked Austria's bearded lady. Not because it was a transsexual person singing, but because the song was good. Sounded just like a themesong from a James Bond movie. 
I also liked The Netherlands' tribute to Johnny Cash & June Carter Cash. 

And of course Sweden's Sanna Nielsen, as her voice is just amazing. Difficult song to sing, but she can pull it off. 

And what do you know, they were the top 3. But I also liked Iceland, Malta, Spain, Azerbaijan, Russia and a few others. Not too many horrific songs this year. 

I dunno Noll. Between people just voting for the country next to them and  this gimmick win  it's just took a huge right angle turn to planet ridiculous. I just read that "Conchita " is actually just a bloke called Tom. I just heard the song at the end it seemed unremarkable at best. Do all the women have to have beards next year to be in with a chance?

I mean, I don't mind gay people but they are just the same as everyone else. So why has every event now got to be about that?

hear hear, i agree!! i didnt even know it was on, i stopped paying attention to eurovision when Katie Price AKA Slagbag Jordan was on it, absolute joke.

The key for me is not to take Eurovision too seriously, and also to watch it whilst posting on and reading Twitter. I really enjoyed it last night, and it brightened up my weekend. No, it's not a serious music competition, but then it hasn't been for a long time. :)

I quote Michelle. I enjoyed it, it was funny. I liked the clip introductions to the artists as well, simple but nice. It's not a real competition, but I like it. I love the Icelandc band: so colorful and crazy :)  The italian artist is usually that bad, but sadly she represents the low level of italian music. :(

I don't really watch Eurovision, but I turned the semi-finals (I think) on the other day and saw a woman pull her ponytail off mid song. I don't know if it was supposed to represent something but it was so random it did make me laugh :giggle2:

I'm watching the voting now (although I already knew who won anyway). Eurovision is a very interesting spectacle to me. I guess because it's such a 'foreign' thing. :D But we actually had an Aussie there this year! I'm not sure how they wrangled it, but one of our singers got to sing a guest spot. She did us proud, but the lead in to it was just so embarrassing (giant inflatable beers etc.)

I dislike how it's so political, but I don't see any way around it. I find it disappointing that Russia was booed so much. It's not fair to take the actions of the country's leaders out on the performers and presenters.

hear hear, i agree!! i didnt even know it was on, i stopped paying attention to eurovision when Katie Price AKA Slagbag Jordan was on it, absolute joke.

Katie Price never represented us. She tried/auditioned, but failed to go through. Javine won and represented the UK that year with Touch My Fire. Greece won it that year (2005) with My Number One.

I can't say anything about the actual contest and event, because I didn't watch it :blush: But I can say that some months ago I was listening to the radio and heard a great song and I wondered who it was by. Then when I heard it was by Softengine, I googled the band and found out that the song was actually our Eurovision contest song. I was flabbergasted! I thought, 'wow, I actually like our song, and I didn't even know it was the song!'. I thought we actually stood a chance this year! 

We came in 11th, and I'm so damn proud of our boys and the band and the song. Hurraah!  :exc:  I think it's by far our best song ever. 

I can't say anything about the actual contest and event, because I didn't watch it :blush: But I can say that some months ago I was listening to the radio and heard a great song and I wondered who it was by. Then when I heard it was by Softengine, I googled the band and found out that the song was actually our Eurovision contest song. I was flabbergasted! I thought, 'wow, I actually like our song, and I didn't even know it was the song!'. I thought we actually stood a chance this year! 

We came in 11th, and I'm so damn proud of our boys and the band and the song. Hurraah!  :exc:  I think it's by far our best song ever. 

It might be Finland's turn next year then! I remember back when there were only a few countries and we all used to get turns at winning quite regular...I am sure there was a sort of agreement going on.

It might be Finland's turn next year then! I remember back when there were only a few countries and we all used to get turns at winning quite regular...I am sure there was a sort of agreement going on.

Hehe, we have a pretty poor success rate, so I wouldn't count on it... 

It's true, a lot of countries give votes to their neighbor countries and expect them to do the same courtesy. Everytime I've watched the show and a Nordic country is giving its points to the contestants, the Finnish commentators always say 'c'mon Nordic country, where are your points to Finland!' :rolleyes: It's so stupid. 

I can't remember much of the Finnish song now, but I remember that the boys were young and handsome. They crossed to their school in Finland so the principal and students could congratulate them. When they made it through the semi-final I gave a big cheer.  :smile:

I can't remember much of the Finnish song now, but I remember that the boys were young and handsome. They crossed to their school in Finland so the principal and students could congratulate them. When they made it through the semi-final I gave a big cheer.  :smile:

I think they are all 18 but one, who's 17. High school boys! :)