The unread book that you've owned longest

I've had 'Memoirs of a Geisha' a while and haven't read it -- Since I use the library a lot and moved around a bit, I don't have TOO many super old books that I've owned a long time. That makes 'Memoirs' it for me. :)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

North and South - Elizabeth Gaskell

It was recommended to me by my GCSE english teacher and then again two years later by my A Level english teacher so that time I did go out and buy it, I was 18. I thought I had given it away and decided to get another copy and then bizzarly went to put the second copy right next to my original copy of the shelf :doh: so 16 years later I now have two copies neither of them read by me.

North and South - Elizabeth Gaskell

It was recommended to me by my GCSE english teacher and then again two years later by my A Level english teacher so that time I did go out and buy it, I was 18. I thought I had given it away and decided to get another copy and then bizzarly went to put the second copy right next to my original copy of the shelf :doh: so 16 years later I now have two copies neither of them read by me.

Hope you eventually get round to reading it Easy Reader as it's a good book :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The only book that comes to mind, (but I am sure there would be some older), is a copy of dune that a friend gave me about 7 years or so ago. Still have not read it.... yet.

Mine is The Hobbit (JRR Tolkien)...I just can't get past the first chapter!!

Andie P x

Oh, and most of the Jane Austen books.....Collecting dust on my shelf!

Andie P x

Edited by Andie P

Having now finally read Heart of Darkness, the unread book that I've owned the longest is Max Lundgren's 21 nästan sanna berättelser, which I bought in 2002 for uni. It's a collection of short stories and I've read at least half of them, and I've really enjoyed some of them, but I've never managed to actually finish the whole book. Maybe I should do it this year. It would probably be a good way to refresh my Swedish skills as well.

I've now read 21 nästan sanna berättelser, so I had to check which book is now the oldest unread book in my library. And I can't believe the book dates from 2006, only six years ago! It's An Assembly Such as This by Pamela Aidan (the Pride & Prejudice story written from the point-of-view of Darcy)

• 4 weeks later...

The Lord of The Rings... The film came out when I had just reached half way, and I just couldn't bring myself to continue it after!

Snap! That's it for me too! If we're talking about my own books, not those owned by my parents.

Mine's probably Robert Jordan's Eye of the World and The Great Hunt. Someone gave them to me about 12 years ago and I still haven't come close to reading them.

The Bible. A childrens version with illustrations. Got it for just being born or was it christened?? I think every kid got it, from I have absolutely no idea. At least I know nobody bought it for me, it came in the mail.

• 3 weeks later...

Light in August by William Faulkner. The books belonged to my mother. I tried reading it as a teeneager but never succeded. Tried again years later...another fail. Tried last year - epic fail :P