The unread book that you've owned longest

Having moved between 3 different cities and 7 houses over the past 5 years, my collection's undergone countless downsizings during which long-unread books, amongst others, were sadly culled :( the one I have had for the past 2 1/2 years but can't bear to part with as it was expensive and will doubtlessly prove useful at some point in my seemingly infinite academic life is the mammoth Longman Annotated edition of Spenser's Faerie Queene.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its The Island of the day before - Umberto Eco as its actually mine I inherited a few of my grandad's but they stricly speaking weren't my buys. I have tried to read this on a number of occasions but never got through it, shame really its a lovely looking book, hard backed beautiful picture on the front.

Ahh, Clan of the Cave Bear, an epic twist on the paperback romance. I loved the first book when I read it (at the age of 12, actually. Surprising once you read what happens in it that I was allowed to do so). The Valley of Horses was the sequel and it was pretty good too, though as the series goes on it definitely becomes more and more like a smutty romance series and less about what initially attracted me to the series, the prehistoric setting and the archeological aspects of it. You might try checking out the first book sometime just to see if its up your alley.

Thank you, I think I will check it out since I've heard a lot about the books. I'm sure they have it at the library. :)

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. I've had it for 10 years :rolleyes:

Just got that at the library yesterday, it's quite short I see.. have you managed to read it yet? ;)

For me, I think it's Sense and Sensibility. I got that as a gift from the mom of my ex, when we were just together. I didn't read many classics back then, let alone in english, wasn't very good in it back then. Not enough to read a book. Or classic. But I recently picked it up to start it, only something else came in the way. But that was, I guess... 9 years ago.

Just got that at the library yesterday, it's quite short I see.. have you managed to read it yet? ;)

In the 2-3 days between my post and yours? :lol: No I haven't yet read it, I'm afraid. But coincidentally I'm thinking about getting into it today. Should be a quick read.

I think its The Island of the day before - Umberto Eco as its actually mine I inherited a few of my grandad's but they stricly speaking weren't my buys. I have tried to read this on a number of occasions but never got through it, shame really its a lovely looking book, hard backed beautiful picture on the front.
My tuppence - maybe you can't get through it because Eco is a smug dullster who seems to revel in feeling superior by ramming his (admittedly) insane knowledge down people's throats :lol:?

My tuppence - maybe you can't get through it because Eco is a smug dullster who seems to revel in feeling superior by ramming his (admittedly) insane knowledge down people's throats :lol:?

Uh oh. :(

I have a few of his books on my shelf. I haven't even opened one yet. Your comment does not bode well.

Uh oh. I have a few of his books on my shelf. I haven't even opened one yet. Your comment does not bode well.
There there :friends0: one never knows, you might think I'm talking rubbish. Just, in my experience, those who don't like Eco don't like him for precisely the reason I've mentioned. He can definitely write, just personally I find him too smarmy and pompous to be enjoyable. I hope your experience is different, but let's say I wouldn't hurry to make him your next read...

There there :friends0: one never knows, you might think I'm talking rubbish. Just, in my experience, those who don't like Eco don't like him for precisely the reason I've mentioned. He can definitely write, just personally I find him too smarmy and pompous to be enjoyable. I hope your experience is different, but let's say I wouldn't hurry to make him your next read...

I definitely will try him (some day), but I do not like authors that tend to talk down to the reader, and from what you said, he may be that type. We will see.

lol....I worked my way through Focaults Pendulum and liked that but thats because I had an obsession with numbers for a while. Never been tempted to try any of his others :D

Labyrinth by Kate Mosse:bookworm:

My advice would be 'don't bother' but then again you might love it :)

I think the unread book that's been on my shelves for the longest now would be 'The Mysteries of Udolpho' by Ann Radcliffe ... I've had it for ages and attempted it several times but never got further than a few pages.

I think the unread book that's been on my shelves for the longest now would be 'The Mysteries of Udolpho' by Ann Radcliffe ... I've had it for ages and attempted it several times but never got further than a few pages.

I've only had it for 2-3 years, but I've tried reading it a couple of times and haven't gotten further than a few pages myself :friends0: I think it's one of those books which I would definitely enjoy, but getting into it seems difficult.

Having now finally read Heart of Darkness, the unread book that I've owned the longest is Max Lundgren's Nästan sanna berättelser, which I bought in 2002 for uni. It's a collection of short stories and I've read at least half of them, and I've really enjoyed some of them, but I've never managed to actually finish the whole book. Maybe I should do it this year. It would probably be a good way to refresh my Swedish skills as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I bought The Tales of Beedle the Bard by JK Rowling for no apparent reason when it was first published and its been sitting on my shelf eversince. I think I've paged through it once or twice, but never actually read it. I did receive a Harry Potter encyclopaedia type book with it, though, which I did read briefly and found more interesting than the novels themselves. :)