Your Book Activity - May 2014

I've come a long way in a few days, I only have about 250 pages left.

x

That's awesome :D!

I've finished A Dance with Dragons 2: After the Feast by George R. R. Martin and have started Jena Pincott - Waarom Vrouwen Chocola Lekkeder Vinden dan Seks (Do Gentleman Really Prefer Blondes?). I'm not yet ready for another fiction book (the story of the A Song of Ice and Fire series is so epic and it's still in my head) so I thought I'd pick a short information book instead.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a bit of a splurge this weekend :blush: … I blame the rain   :intherain: … well, that's my excuse anyway! :giggle2:

I've been dying to continue with some of my series books, and some were on offer too, so have bought the following:

To Davy Jones Below by Carola Dunn (Daisy Dalrymple No. 8)

Rattle His Bones by Carola Dunn (Daisy Dalrymple No. 9)

Death of a Hussy by M. C. Beaton (Hamish Macbeth No. 5)

Death of a Prankster by M. C. Beaton (Hamish Macbeth No. 7)

Death of a Travelling Man by M. C. Beaton (Hamish Macbeth No. 9)

The Fiery Heart by Richelle Mead (Bloodlines No. 4)

The Snake, The Crocoidile and the Dog by Elizabeth Peters (Amelia Peabody No. 5)

The Last Camel Died at Noon by Elizabeth Peters (Amelia Peabody No. 6)

The Deeds of the Disturber by Elizabeth Peters (Amelia Peabody No. 7)

Whispers Under Ground by Ben Aaronovitch (Peter Grant No. 3)

Broken Homes by Ben Aaronovitch (Peter Grant No. 4)

Hatchet Job by Mark Kermode

Actually, the last one isn't part of a series, but Raven told me that it was part of the buy one get one half price offer in Waterstone's, so I blame him for that purchase! :lol:  So, obviously, I'm totally blameless  :angel_not:

At least I have something to keep me occupied over the long weekend in the rain :D

Edited by chesilbeach

I'm still reading Pandora's Star. According to Kindle Paperwhite, I have just under 3 hours left till the end of the book. Seems to be taking forever, and while I'm enjoying it, I'm in the mood for something a bit lighter.

Can't believe  how much of a 'go slow' I am with books at the moment...only reading in bed at night and not getting very far. Nearly finished 'Someone Else's Son' though.

I'm still reading Pandora's Star. According to Kindle Paperwhite, I have just under 3 hours left till the end of the book. Seems to be taking forever, and while I'm enjoying it, I'm in the mood for something a bit lighter.

Ya, I'm a bit skeptical on the reading speeds.  I usually pay more attention to the % or the page #, if possible.

Had a bit of a splurge this weekend :blush: … I blame the rain   :intherain: … well, that's my excuse anyway! :giggle2:

I've been dying to continue with some of my series books, and some were on offer too, so have bought the following:

To Davy Jones Below by Carola Dunn (Daisy Dalrymple No. 8)

Rattle His Bones by Carola Dunn (Daisy Dalrymple No. 9)

Death of a Hussy by M. C. Beaton (Hamish Macbeth No. 5)

Death of a Prankster by M. C. Beaton (Hamish Macbeth No. 7)

Death of a Travelling Man by M. C. Beaton (Hamish Macbeth No. 9)

The Fiery Heart by Richelle Mead (Bloodlines No. 4)

The Snake, The Crocoidile and the Dog by Elizabeth Peters (Amelia Peabody No. 5)

The Last Camel Died at Noon by Elizabeth Peters (Amelia Peabody No. 6)

The Deeds of the Disturber by Elizabeth Peters (Amelia Peabody No. 7)

Whispers Under Ground by Ben Aaronovitch (Peter Grant No. 3)

Broken Homes by Ben Aaronovitch (Peter Grant No. 4)

Hatchet Job by Mark Kermode

Actually, the last one isn't part of a series, but Raven told me that it was part of the buy one get one half price offer in Waterstone's, so I blame him for that purchase! :lol:  So, obviously, I'm totally blameless  :angel_not:

At least I have something to keep me occupied over the long weekend in the rain :D

Guilt-free book shopping, the best kind! :D I love it how almost all the books are in from a series, I first thought that it was pretty amazing to see you find all these series books in a secondhand bookshop but then realized you were online (?) shopping :D Makes it a bit easier to find so many books you've been wanting to get your hands on.... :giggle2:

My reading has slowed down to almost a halt, what with having to be sociable here at my homehome town. I've tried reading every night in bed before dozing off but I haven't been able to concentrate (mostly because there's been so much happening here that I keep going over all the things that have happened. It's supposed to start raining a LOT  today so I suppose I can catch up today! I'm so eager to finish Vanity Fair :blush:

I finished another book on my Persephone reading list yesterday evening - Miss Ranskill Comes Home by Barbara Euphan Todd (a present from the lovely Kay) - and it was a fantastic book. The books Persephone have chosen to republish that I've read so far have all been fabulous, and this was no exception.

Not sure what to read next, as after my splurge yesterday, the TBR is starting to look like a mountain again! :D

Started The Yellow Birds by Kevin Peters this morning,an Iraqi war story.

Bought Fan by Danny Rhodes,The Silence Of The Glasshouse by Martin Malone & Prayers For The Stolen by Jennifer Clement.

Yeah, I think I would agree that it's more about the characters. Too bad that I don't like most of them I do understand why people find Becky Sharp interesting, and I do understand that it doesn't mean that they actually like her character in that they'd love to have people like that in their lives :D But I just don't find her interesting. And I can't stand

the way she treats poor little Rawdon. :no:

I meant this is my first classic in English in a long time, it's not actually my first ever I never would've chosen such a huge log for a first :D You have been falsely impressed by me :blush:

I've come a long way in a few days, I only have about 250 pages left. I wonder if I will miss the book when it's done... But I'm definitely looking forward to reading other books  

Agreed Becky would not win mother of the year  :smile:

Silly me i should have realised it wasn't your first classic :doh:  

Only 250 pages to go, your in the home strait now  :D I love that feeling when you finish a book & you've got the whole of your TBR mountain to choose from  :smile:

I finished Midnight's Children a couple of days ago & decided to go for something lighter for my next read so i'm at the beginning of Gentlemen & Players Joanne Harris, it's awhile since i've read any of her books i'd forgotten how good she is.

It'll be such an accomplishment once you've finished it! I hope you can read some today :).

I should be able to do that, it's supposed to rain so it's going to be an indoors today. And the hockey final starts as late as 9 PM, so loads of time before that. If only I could turn off the Computer and start reading... :giggle2:

Agreed Becky would not win mother of the year  :smile:

It's nice though, that I've seen some growth in some people.

Rawdon Senior is growing on me!

I finished Midnight's Children a couple of days ago & decided to go for something lighter for my next read so i'm at the beginning of Gentlemen & Players Joanne Harris, it's awhile since i've read any of her books i'd forgotten how good she is.

Gentlemen & Players is really, really good! It's on my recommended books -list. Enjoy! :smile2:

I  think I read Fluke in the early '80s.  Is it about a dog who thinks he's a man and a man who thinks he's a dog?!   I read a few Herberts back then, but they're not really my cup of tea, although I think I enjoyed The Fog:)

I'm reading Sugar for the Horse by H E Bates.  It's the follow-up to My Uncle Silas

I  think I read Fluke in the early '80s.  Is it about a dog who thinks he's a man and a man who thinks he's a dog?!   I read a few Herberts back then, but they're not really my cup of tea, although I think I enjoyed The Fog:)

I'm reading Sugar for the Horse by H E Bates.  It's the follow-up to My Uncle Silas

Yes thats the one,

That was me :) Hope you enjoyed it?

After reading Far From the Madding Crowd and then two books centred on WWI, I have decided I need something lighter for the next few reads! So I'm halfway through the latest Bridget Jones. Really surprised at how much I'm enjoying it, given when I read the first two it read a lot of chick lit, and now read virtually none.

But it is really entertaining so far.

I finished Triumph Of Time , Cities in Flight by James Blush today. I'm going to try and finish grass during the rest of the week.

I wanted something light to read next, but I was looking through my tree-book TBR pile (which is alarmingly stagnant, and has been for the last few years) and have decided to read The Ancestor's Tale by Richard Dawkins. It's not exactly light reading ( :giggle2: ), and I think a basic background in biology is recommended. I haven't studied Biology since high-school, so I'm a bit rusty on it, and struggling with some concepts, but I am still enjoying it.